Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex to officially support ARMv7, ARMv8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex to officially support ARMv7, ARMv8

So I was just updating my Plex on Raspberry Pi 3B+ and this popped up (more or less, I edited it a bit so you can follow along; DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH though! Don't blame me if anything goes wrong).

For everyone running a Plex Server on Raspberry Pi (or other SBC):

You probably all were following that dev2day repo and guide https://forums.plex.tv/t/read-me-first-about-server-armhf-arm64-debian-ubuntu-raspberry-pi/226567 which now luckily is no longer needed.

Plex finally added official support for ARMv7, ARMv8 in their download section:
https://www.plex.tv/de/media-server-downloads/

The repo on dev2day.de has nearly reached its end of life. Please
upgrade to the official packages as soon as possible.
This repository
will disappear sometime in the future.

The migration is simple and your Plex library will be preserved.

First, remove the dev2day.de package:
sudo apt-get remove plexmediaserver-installer

Then, remove the dev2day.de repo, e.g. with:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list

Now, download and install the package from plex.tv, e.g.:

wget --no-check-certificate https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.2.793-782228f99/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_armhf.deb

Also, an official Plex repository should be available soon (it already is):
https://support.plex.tv/articles/235974187-enable-repository-updating-for-supported-linux-server-distributions/

Guide for DEB-based distros (Ubuntu, etc.):
To enable the Plex Media Server repository on Ubuntu only a few terminal commands are required. From a terminal window run the following two commands:

echo deb https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb public main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list

curl https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-keys/PlexSign.key | sudo apt-key add -

After that, it’s just a matter of running the normal sudo apt-get update and the Plex Media Server repo will be enabled on the OS.

Comments

• LOL I wish I hadn't cancelled my SoYouStart 4TB arm server...

• YuraYura Member

ARM is the future. Fuck plex, closed source.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Why though? Unless you direct play everything (which being realistic you won't be able to) then the performance of it is gonna suck.

• @hacktek said:
    Why though? Unless you direct play everything (which being realistic you won't be able to) then the performance of it is gonna suck.

Tbh I never recognize any quality loss when streaming from my Pi. As long as I don't convert anything or downlad&convert (which is heavy on Pi CPU, or screws it even) I'm all good. My files are all .mp4 so no further conversion is needed. I also don't have different quality options to choose from for my files and only need full HD. For what it's worth I couldn't ask for more.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I am going to have to get myself a plex box and see what all the fuss is about. might try and fill it with TV and movies with the condition that anything on there must be at least 20 years old. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Adam1Adam1 Member

AnthonySmith said: anything on there must be at least 20 years old.

I have a shitload of old UK TV, love collecting it

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I am going to have to get myself a plex box and see what all the fuss is about. might try and fill it with TV and movies with the condition that anything on there must be at least 20 years old. :)

Give it a try seriously. Grab a Plex Lifetime Pass when it's on sale like BF or anything. It's worth it. I've had it since like a year without excessively using it at first but they keep and keep adding new things which is awesome. Just today I checked the features again to see if anything else has been added and there's quite a lot since last time I checked.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited March 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

Well.. I have movies collection from 1927.

• It already has some buffer time direct play on HDD + Xeon. Can't imagine on Arm

• cybertech said:
    It already has some buffer time direct play on HDD + Xeon. Can't imagine on Arm

My Atom D425 worked pretty well in such scenario, so I'd assume ARM wouldn't be worse than that.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @cybertech said:

I think you have an issue on plex configuration..

• @chocolateshirt said:

@cybertech said:

Any tips?

edited March 2019

@chocolateshirt said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Well.. I have movies collection from 1927.

Nice, if anyone has '7 keys to baldpate' (1947) I would love to hear from you.

Edit: found on youtube

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

@dedipromo said:

cybertech said:

My Atom D425 worked pretty well in such scenario, so I'd assume ARM wouldn't be worse than that.

Initially when I first was looking to setup Plex I've also heard countless times that a Pi wouldn't be enough anyway. Honestly I can't agree though. I was lucky back then that I read some reddit post and talked to some people who told me that as long as I don't need to convert a stream it would be all right. And it is! I only use Plex for myself and my parents and it just managed perfectly fine :)

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited March 2019

Sounds like more network congestion from packet broadcasts. B'stard program (WTF is an App) from Hell! Plex should be banned from public networks; keep it on your NAS@home.

• @cybertech said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@cybertech said:

Any tips?

I am not sure if I can give you some tips. But make sure your devices working properly. 4k Movies with 80 Mbps bitrate only read up to 20 MB/s from your HDD.

Thanked by 2cybertech Ympker
  • @chocolateshirt said:

@cybertech said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@cybertech said:

Any tips?

I am not sure if I can give you some tips. But make sure your devices working properly. 4k Movies with 80 Mbps bitrate only read up to 20 MB/s from your HDD.

hmm it could be a combination of various factors for me. box is 200ms away, upload speed maybe 8MB/s but takes some time to hit that speed. Direct play @ 1080p, each buffering about 5s or so.

perhaps someone with similar environment could share too?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

@cybertech said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@cybertech said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@cybertech said:

Any tips?

hmm it could be a combination of various factors for me. box is 200ms away, upload speed maybe 8MB/s but takes some time to hit that speed. Direct play @ 1080p, each buffering about 5s or so.

perhaps someone with similar environment could share too?

My Arm Setup is:

Pi behind an Asus AC 58-U Router via LAN. Upload speed is 20-25 Mbit/s. My Wifi from which I Chromecast/stream has 80 Mbit/s Download speed (5Ghz Wifi). I don't stream outside home though (so probably less resource hungry than if I did) as my ISP does not provide a (dedicated) IPv4 (only dynamic IPv6 combined to be a 6to4 tunnel sorta), and right now too lazy to bother setting up VPN on the Pi for it. That being said I've once tried port forwarding it using a professional VPN service while having Pi and Streaming device connected to it. Didn't work either :P

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @Ympker said:
    So I was just updating my Plex on Raspberry Pi 3B+ and this popped up (more or less, I edited it a bit so you can follow along; DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH though! Don't blame me if anything goes wrong).

For everyone running a Plex Server on Raspberry Pi (or other SBC):

You probably all were following that dev2day repo and guide https://forums.plex.tv/t/read-me-first-about-server-armhf-arm64-debian-ubuntu-raspberry-pi/226567 which now luckily is no longer needed.

Plex finally added official support for ARMv7, ARMv8 in their download section:
    https://www.plex.tv/de/media-server-downloads/

The repo on dev2day.de has nearly reached its end of life. Please
    upgrade to the official packages as soon as possible.
    This repository
    will disappear sometime in the future.

The migration is simple and your Plex library will be preserved.

First, remove the dev2day.de package:
    sudo apt-get remove plexmediaserver-installer

Then, remove the dev2day.de repo, e.g. with:
    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pms.list

Now, download and install the package from plex.tv, e.g.:

wget --no-check-certificate https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.2.793-782228f99/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_armhf.deb

Also, an official Plex repository should be available soon (it already is):
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/235974187-enable-repository-updating-for-supported-linux-server-distributions/

Guide for DEB-based distros (Ubuntu, etc.):
    To enable the Plex Media Server repository on Ubuntu only a few terminal commands are required. From a terminal window run the following two commands:

echo deb https://downloads.plex.tv/repo/deb public main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/plexmediaserver.list

curl https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-keys/PlexSign.key | sudo apt-key add -

After that, it’s just a matter of running the normal sudo apt-get update and the Plex Media Server repo will be enabled on the OS.

Good news

I can set it up on my orange pi :smiley:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited March 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

Thats 1999. The Matrix part 1 came out then.

You have permission to feel old now.

teamacc said: Thats 1999. The Matrix part 1 came out then.

You have permission to feel old now.

I felt old a long time ago, the first lord of the rings movie came out in 2001...!!!!!!!!

• eoleol Member

@dedipromo said:

cybertech said:

Unleashing The Power Of The Atom.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited March 2019

What's the best arm instance one can rent for Plex now?

I'm curious how many cores I need to have Plex transcode stuff smoothly.

• @jeromeza said:
    What's the best arm instance one can rent for Plex now?

I'm curious how many cores I need to have Plex transcode stuff smoothly.

SYS ARM is probably a good pick.