Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are using putty, update it! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If you are using putty, update it!

2»

Comments

• @SplitIce said:
    It's actually a real shame that there hasnt been any real inovation in the ssh client area for windows. There are a few other SSH clients but none that rival the UX of PuTTY unfortunately.

Other than SecureCRT that has been around since 1995?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Letzien I'll assume that your needs (and hence UX) are different to mine.

• @SplitIce said:
    @Letzien I'll assume that your needs (and hence UX) are different to mine.

Prey tell, what does PuTTy have that SCRT doesn't? Except for PuttyTray, which is probably not updated yet.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Letzien

Each to their own but I've never felt the tabs and session management to be particularly usable. I quite like windows, makes it easier to split screen at various times. Last I used it it was not possible to drag tabs out to new windows or anything like that (is it now?).

Puttys session management lends itself well to workloads where you have a large number of different devices that you rarely connect to more than once (not saying it's perfect, there is innovation needed to improve here - currently we supplement with some additional tooling)

My other gripes would be that it's closed source, expensive and from my past experience (>5 years ago) a very poor terminal emulator (pstree was broken at that time, it might be still)

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@SplitIce said:
    It's actually a real shame that there hasnt been any real inovation in the ssh client area for windows. There are a few other SSH clients but none that rival the UX of PuTTY unfortunately.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Windows now comes with a native ssh client (a port of ssh from OpenSSH). Okay, not innovation in terms of a GUI, but still ...

• Someone knows how to disable this messages?

[putty-icon] Pre-authentication banner message from server:

• @ese_enzo said:
    Someone knows how to disable this messages?

You can untick this option in the configuration under SSH > Auth, then it is the first option.

• @inventive said:

@ese_enzo said:
    Someone knows how to disable this messages?

You can untick this option in the configuration under SSH > Auth, then it is the first option.

I already done that before, but the same. Since update, putty add its own icon when prompt for username or password and don't print banner message correctly

• LeneLene Member

Already updated, nice

• jiijii Member

You're using XP?

• @jii said:
    You're using XP?

Please stop spamming.

• MobaXterm is affected too? :smile:

• daviddavid Member

Updated, thanks.

I'm still using mtputty (multi-tabbed putty) with it, too, though it hasn't been updated in ages. I hope it's still OK.

• HostYDHostYD Member, Host Rep

I recommend using cmder console in Windows which also support Linux commands and you can use ssh [email protected] directly in command line.

• sinsin Member

I'm using XShell which I love but I'm starting to play around with Bitvise.