Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for coders - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for coders

2»

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited March 2019

identifying foreground / background in a photographic image seems to fall into the realm of so-called "semantic segmentation" - even on the shallow end of that pool it can be an interesting (challenging) problem.

If one is working with relatively simple images and/or willing to accept sub-optimal (and often outright incorrect) results then there are plenty of heuristics that could get a creative coder maybe a bit better than halfway there.

I'm guessing most people who actually know what they're doing would spend at least as much time clarifying the specification and selecting an appropriate machine learning / computer vision library as they would spend actually writing any code.

and for a commercial project I'd expect to pay (quite a bit) more than $7 per hour for their time ...

If you actually can do it yourself @yokowasis then consider the value of your time balanced by the value of what you could learn through your effort. But - depending on where you're starting from and where you want to get to - I'd budget at least a semester's worth of education in the computer vision domain to do it right ...

Or you can use what's already out there and narrow your specification so that it manages expectations for your end-users accordingly.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @corbpie said:
    If the images are decent sized and simple (logos) its not far fetched. All you need to do is get background color at the first pixel (top left) using imagecolorsforindex and convert to png if needed.

Then as per the function from here

function transparent_background($og, $output, $bg_color)
    {
        $img = imagecreatefrompng($og);
        $colors = explode(',', $bg_color);
        $remove = imagecolorallocate($img, $colors[0], $colors[1], $colors[2]);
        imagecolortransparent($img, $remove);
        imagepng($img, $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/'.$output);
    }
    transparent_background('in.png', 'out.png','255,255,255');//pure white background

This is so incredibly short-sighted.

Great job!

• @Letzien considering the crap you wrote above which was beyond useless you shouldnt even be following it up with more uslessness.

• @corbpie said:
    @Letzien considering the crap you wrote above which was beyond useless you shouldnt even be following it up with more uslessness.

Thanks for your opinion, #000000. I'll take it into account with the other 33% of your wasted avatar.

• (that's the non-blacked-out part)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2019

OP, it's probably easiest asking the uploader to click on a background pixel in the image and POST the x and y to your script to change the background... not quite fully automated but makes it more trivial.

Thanked by 2uptime Falzo
  • @ricardo said:
    OP, it's probably easiest asking the uploader to click on a background pixel in the image and POST the x and y to your script to change the background... not quite fully automated but makes it more trivial.

or you know, ask them to upload the png file with transparent background instead.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

How about I make a script that email to me, which I will process it manually and send back within 24 hours?

$10/API call

• Yeah, you'd probably want to do the manual bit yourself. With a simple UI it'd take you all of a second or two per image.

• You probably need smart-cropping with edge-detection.

The examples I know are for specific purposes - OCR text, and faces. Like:
    https://github.com/jwagner/smartcrop.js/
    https://github.com/kronik/smartcrop

Thanked by 1uptime
  • yokowasis said: What software do you think I use to remove the background?

Gimp, Pixlr, Paint.net ...

• cpsdcpsd Member

@yokowasis said:

@cpsd said:
    Remove.bg does that with an API and for free with their website.

Tried remove bg, unfortunately it works only for photos. I am looking to remove white/black / Grey whatever solid background color from a logo.

It's because I need png file with transparent background, but people send me a jpg file with background instead.

I got an email today that now you can remove backgrounds from product photos 100% automatically and in less than 5 seconds

• Have to tried GraphicsMagick -extent or ImageMagick mosaic?

You can build a simple upload form using uikit3 (bootstrap4 is boring) and include some npm dependencies to automate the process combine with expressjs for web based or better yet electronjs for cross platform desktop app. That would be so cool. Make it open source and submit repo to github. Promote ur project, soon enough you will see new PRs coming in. That's my idea of solving this problem rather than spending $100.

Unless you really need a web based solution, why not build an action script or plugin to automate 1-click bckground removing (convert jpg to png) in gimp, jimp or even photoshop locally?

• JackHJackH Member

NECCCROOOOO

Thanked by 1Nate812
This discussion has been closed.