Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox help needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox help needed

emtecroemtecro Member

Hello guys,

I need help with proxmox. So problem is after ~20min I lose connection to server cant access webinterface or ping the server but VMs are working. Server is with hetzner using bridged conf. I also tryed to reset it via robot but no connection again, then I connected with kvm to server and rebooted with cmd after that connection comes but again after 20mins cant ping the server again. I installed proxmox on Debian 9.

Comments

• Just on a hunch, I'm going to assume you mean via IPv6. Fix your routes and turn off SLAAC.

• @Letzien said:
    Just on a hunch, I'm going to assume you mean via IPv6. Fix your routes and turn off SLAAC.

Via IPv4

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2019

We had this issue on OVH, it needed a specific bridge network configuration to make it work.
    At Hetzner the default one works fine, usually.

Did you checked Hetzner's wiki?

• @Neoon said:
    We had this issue on OVH, it needed a specific bridge network configuration to make it work.
    At Hetzner the default one works fine, usually.

Did you checked Hetzner's wiki?

Yes, I copy paste their conf. I also contacted them and they say that I should follow their wiki than I said I was following it then they say that they connected with KVM and server is working but I still cant connect. I know is unmanaged service but they should edit their wiki or something.

• FalzoFalzo Member

you know... that's simply not enough information to suggest anything. how about sharing your (redacted) configs so we can see, what you really put in there.

hetzners wiki articles are fine, you still should understand what you are doing and not blindly copy things though.

Thanked by 3uptime eol kassle
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi @emtecro, I'm sorry our Wiki article isn't helpful for you. I can suggest to our team to look over it to see if they can make some improvements.

As you already mentioned, our dedicated root servers are unmanaged products. So customers are responsible for the complete configuration, software, and administration of their servers. You can try to give more information about your issue here or on our discussion forum (which is mostly in German) https://forum.hetzner.com/. I hope someone is able to give you tips so you can fix your issue.

--Julia, Marketing

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Falzo said:
    you know... that's simply not enough information to suggest anything. how about sharing your (redacted) configs so we can see, what you really put in there.

hetzners wiki articles are fine, you still should understand what you are doing and not blindly copy things though.

Maybe they are fine but I never had this problem with proxmox following providers wiki. I dont say Im pro still learning things how to do.

Here is my config:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface lo inet6 loopback

auto enp2s0
    iface enp2s0 inet static
    address main ip
    netmask 255.255.255.224
    gateway (main ip gateway)
    # route main ip gateway/27 via main ip gateway
    up route add -net main ip gateway netmask 255.255.255.224 gw main ip gateway dev enp2s0

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
    address (main ip)
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    pointopoint (main ip gateway)
    gateway (main ip gateway)
    bridge_ports enp2s0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 1
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2019

from your config, you did not follow the hetzner wiki ( https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Proxmox_VE/en ) at all ;-)

in a normal bridged entry using virtual macs for single addon IPs, you don't use or need the enp2s0 and if you compare what is suggested in the wiki, you can see exactly that:

# /etc/network/interfaces
    ### Hetzner Online GmbH - installimage
    # Loopback device:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
           address 
           netmask 255.255.255.255
           pointopoint 
           gateway 
           bridge_ports eth0
           bridge_stp off
           bridge_fd 1
           bridge_hello 2
           bridge_maxage 12

(you need to change eth0 to enp2s0 in the bridge settings though, as you did)

in fact using the same ip on enp2s0 and the bridge but with different subnet masks and routing settings might simply mess up your routing.

depending if you have single addon IPs or a subnet, also the setup inside the guest comes into play, as with a subnet, IP spoofing might become possible depending on the setup you use.

just saying... blaming the provider if you did not even set it up in the way suggested is hmm.

• @Falzo said:
    from your config, you did not follow the hetzner wiki ( https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Proxmox_VE/en ) at all ;-)

in a normal bridged entry using virtual macs for single addon IPs, you don't use or need the enp2s0 and if you compare what is suggested in the wiki, you can see exactly that:

# /etc/network/interfaces
    > ### Hetzner Online GmbH - installimage
    > # Loopback device:
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    > 
    > auto vmbr0
    > iface vmbr0 inet static
    >        address 
    >        netmask 255.255.255.255
    >        pointopoint 
    >        gateway 
    >        bridge_ports eth0
    >        bridge_stp off
    >        bridge_fd 1
    >        bridge_hello 2
    >        bridge_maxage 12
    > 

(you need to change eth0 to enp2s0 in the bridge settings though, as you did)

in fact using the same ip on enp2s0 and the bridge but with different subnet masks and routing settings might simply mess up your routing.

depending if you have single addon IPs or a subnet, also the setup inside the guest comes into play, as with a subnet, IP spoofing might become possible depending on the setup you use.

just saying... blaming the provider if you did not even set it up in the way suggested is hmm.

I didnt blame hetzner didnt say that they are bad provider or something their support is fast I get answer in 5 min and their service great for that low price. They even beated OVH with price and support I cant compare hetzner support with ovh. I know I didnt configured something good so I asked here for help maybe someone had this problem, server as server was working normal with default OS and default network configuration. Service is unmanaged so I dont expect that they will fix my mess. As I said Im just learning

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2019

@emtecro said:

Yes, I copy paste their conf. I also contacted them and they say that I should follow their wiki than I said I was following it then they say that they connected with KVM and server is working but I still cant connect. I know is unmanaged service but they should edit their wiki or something.

sorry, no offense meant, but stating they need to fix their wiki pretty much sounded like blaming them to me ;-)

however. if you want help you should provide as much details as possible. how many IPs are you trying to connect, are these single ones with virtual macs or a whole subnet. what looks the config on the guest VMs like etc.

there are different ways to connect and use IPs in proxmox, so without enough information one can only guess what could work or nor in your case...

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • proxmox is a little fqked up