Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenSSL f__ed up yet again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenSSL f__ed up yet again

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This thread was so predictable.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@FHR said:

jsg said: You bet that many OpenSSL users throw anything between about 4 bytes and 256 bytes at those routines.

Well that's why I said zero padding is an issue. But cropping over 12 bytes? When some app generates 16 bytes of randomness and passes it to OpenSSL. What does exactly happen?

That's right, absolutely nothing, because any 12 bytes of that 16 byte string are pure randomness anyway, so it has no impact on the security of resulting encrypted message.

Nope, not really. Or, more precisely, yes you are right IF the data are random. often however they are not. DJB in fact did clearly (and reasonably) state that a simple counter is acceptable for a nonce. Which directly leads us to the kind of problems I mentioned with endianess, casted integer arrays passed in as char arrays, etc. And then it can easily happen that the relevant 4 bytes - i.e. the counter for 4 billion packets - gets truncated while the static bytes (changing only slowly and after 4 bln packets) are used as - de facto almost never changing - nonce ... and BANG.
    There are other problems too, for example that many prngs are themselves just 32 bits and/or work on a state whose size is not divisible by 12; I don't want to get too technical; suffice it to know that actually used prngs can be cans of worms themselves.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith said:

I was hoping that it wouldn't be, but yeah. :neutral:

Thanked by 1eol
    edited March 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

Maybe I should apologize for bringing up and discussing this matter instead of writing "funny" one liners about poop or the end or potatoes.

Btw. your post wasn't exactly surprising either but granted we already had indicators for it coming.

Take this as a sign of good will

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@jsg said: Maybe I should apologize for bringing up and discussing this matter instead of writing "funny" one liners about poop or the end or potatoes.

There should be a middle ground somewhere between these two extremes.

• @AnthonySmith said:

psb777 said: Whatever, I will stop arguing with you. Unless you can point out any real-world impact of this bug, you're just making a fuss.

Thanked by 1eol
  • I won't take risk, I voted "debian!".

Thanked by 2eol darkimmortal
    edited March 2019

@SteveMC said:
    I won't take risk, I voted "debian!".

Excellent choice ! https://schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/random_number_b.html

@All

My bad. I apologize. And I mean it. I seriously thought I'd do something good to bring that OpenSSL problem to our communities attention.

Obviously I was wrong and I don't hesitate to recognize and state that. Sorry, guys, won't happen again.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@SteveMC said:
    I won't take risk, I voted "debian!".

Since shitstemd it's risky and even before that.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2019

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/03/06/serious-chrome-zero-day-google-says-update-right-this-minute/

What's the frame of reference here. A hypothetical human being who makes no errors? All I get from your posts @jsg is a projection that you're knowledgeable in the security space, a bit like a certain previously banned poster.

That seems to be the takeaway.

Nice talking theory as other's have implied, if you're capable of more than what the volunteers are doing, do feel free to do the deeds! Seems like you have the framework for making error free code. Either you're a billionaire, a bad salesman or the main arbiter of Project Hard.

Thanked by 2uptime angstrom
  • ChaCha20 is my favorite disco dance, so I am sincerely shocked and will now either switch to Lambada42 or DiscoFox23.

• eoleol Member

I recommend KungFu69.

Thanked by 23606202 Janevski
  • Licking while kicking? Sounds worth a try!

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • I'm more annoyed of the use of f_cked. Just fucking spell it out, man! You're obviously an adult.

Your rant was very similar to rants from a friend of mine, who could criticize anything and everything. Problem is, when he sits down to solve these problems, he tends to understand the issues and complications a lot better.

Also, there's a difference between whining and complaining and people react differently to each.

I rant like this, too, when I come across preventable stupidity. Just need a Snickers and chill out and the anger goes away.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2019

@eol said:
    I recommend KungFu69.

.ʍou 96 s,ʇı

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • So furious a response to single security related bug (which had mentioned commits that handle it, anyway)?

I suppose the rest of security-related applications you are using (all those GnuPG and others, tons of them) were working flawlessly until that moment, keeping you secure and calm, save this treacherous and unforgivable bug...

My condolences.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

Thanked by 1uptime