Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker-capable VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker-capable VPS

Hello,

I just found that my existing OpenVZ-based VPS services do not support docker due to their kernel version being lower than 3.10.0 (Docker requires 3.10.0 or higher). Upgrading the kernel is not possible, I tried running apt-get upgrade etc.

Therefore, I am looking for VPS providers / services that allow me to run Docker.

Can you suggest any? What do I have to look for? Does it need to be a dedicated VPS?

Cheers !

Comments

• blizzfireblizzfire Member
    edited March 2019

• Practically every KVM VPS supports Docker as you have full control over the kernel.

Vultr/DigitalOcean/ExtraVM/FlowVPS/Ho-ost/etc. all have KVMs that can run Docker.

As for your last question: it does not need to be dedicated — just make sure that you avoid getting another VZ VPS (unless a provider explicitly mentions that they’ve enabled Docker in the kernel).

• Thanks! This means that OpenVZ are (by default) not Docker-capable if not manually activated by the provider or is it due to their kernel version?

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited March 2019

doghouch said: Practically every KVM VPS supports Docker as you have full control over the kernel.

+1.

doghouch said: just make sure that you avoid getting another VZ VPS (unless a provider explicitly mentions that they’ve enabled Docker in the kernel).

OpenVZ7 should allow docker without provider input, correction: just tested, still needs modules loading.

@blizzfire said:
    This means that OpenVZ are (by default) not Docker-capable if not manually activated by the provider

Correct.

or is it due to their kernel version?

Yes and no.

• Well, if you need a custom kernel, or a specific version, or specific kernel modules, then don't use containerization - such as OpenVZ, use virtualization - such as KVM instead.

Thanked by 2quadhost eol
  • Thank you for all your replies! I'll go with KVM-based virtualization then. Cheers

• eoleol Member

@Janevski said:
    Well, if you need a custom kernel, or a specific version, or specific kernel modules, then don't use containerization - such as OpenVZ, use virtualization - such as KVM instead.

KVM4lyfe.

Thanked by 2Janevski Chuck
  • XeiXei Member

Your services are already in a small virtual container more often than not, what's the usual use case for those of you that are using Docker?

• @eol said:

@Janevski said:
    Well, if you need a custom kernel, or a specific version, or specific kernel modules, then don't use containerization - such as OpenVZ, use virtualization - such as KVM instead.

KVM4lyfe.

Well yes, but no.

I loved OpenVZ because it worked without significant overhead and it was a lot cost effective.
    It provided the Low in LowEnd.

Thanked by 2eol Chuck
  • What is your location and/or target geography for the dockerized app?

Do you have an annual budget or just a monthly one?

How much RAM does all your docker containers require( together on same KVM)?

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@blizzfire said:
    Hello,

I just found that my existing OpenVZ-based VPS services do not support docker due to their kernel version being lower than 3.10.0 (Docker requires 3.10.0 or higher). Upgrading the kernel is not possible, I tried running apt-get upgrade etc.

Therefore, I am looking for VPS providers / services that allow me to run Docker.

Can you suggest any? What do I have to look for? Does it need to be a dedicated VPS?

Cheers !

Hi
    We provide OpenVZ as well as KVM VPS, for OpenVZ just submit a support ticket after placing order we will enable Docker support for your VPS

https://hosteons.com/vps.php

Thanks

• My advice is to get KVM and to use that, you can use any kernel you like and it's a lot more likely to work without any headaches. Much like FUSE on VZ, it can be done, but it's not the same as FUSE in a KVM.

Thanked by 1First-Root