Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach is charging suspension/administration fee for a canceled service - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach is charging suspension/administration fee for a canceled service

Comments

• eoleol Member
    edited February 2019

@FAT32 said:

@eol said:
    On a sidenote:
    Someone could fix the thread title.
    There are 2 "a"'s, 1 too many.

Fixed it for you :)

Thank you.

EDIT2:
    Really nice low ping.
    :)

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @ricardo said:
    Semi related tip, review your Paypal account every few months for automatic payments. Cancel them if you're not sure you want to renew.

To OP defense, that menu is so fucking hidden beneath the dark web. Mind to post some links ?

Also paypal have 2 similar feature now. Automatic Sending Payment whether the provider request it or not, and preapproved payment where the provider can charge your paypal whenever they feel so.

Both of them - as I said - is well hidden by the paypal.

• @uptime said:
    Those fees are basically "fuck off" fees.

They don't want your business unless you're ready to play ball.

And that's fine by me.

Keeps it reasonably priced for those of us who don't fuck up their business model too much.

EDIT2:

Virmach is for Idlers™

Virmach is by far not an unreasonable provider. At one time I got their ip blacklisted (well, the user of my vps) and they asked to appeal to the blacklist provider. All is done with just one email, not necessarily $25.

Everyone probably know this, but pretty sure we need to hear the virmach side of story

• yokowasis said: is well hidden by the paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/payments
    "Manage your pre-approved payments"

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@ricardo said:

yokowasis said: is well hidden by the paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/payments
    "Manage your pre-approved payments"

Peekaboo

Thanked by 1uptime
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2019

Well hidden to those who couldn't care less.

For good examples, the LET rule thread. It's on top and 99% of newcomers seem to miss it.

Another is the IP market thread which is missed by another 99% of users.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • IIRC the IP thread is not sticky and tends to sink every few days to the second page. But the rule thread is sticky and users still miss it though :open_mouth:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Okay I guess i am having the same problems

Two of my idling vps has been suspended

But the third suspended vps is a funny story
    I received email of bandwidth usage of 90% so i shut it down from Control Panel

Now just received a suspension email of the same VPS.. :neutral:

I think they are changing their policies on suspensions

Thanked by 3uptime eol Xei
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

end is nigh ...

game over man

Game over

ffs nooooo not my precious buffaloooooe

EDIT2:

jumphost and all idlers present and accounted for.

gonna go change my pants now brb

• so if you had 3 virmach VPS, you would need to pay $75 to cancel them!??

Thanked by 3eol uptime Xei
  • @Chuck said:
    so if you had 3 virmach VPS, you would need to pay $75 to cancel them!??

Answering fee:
    $25.00 for answering this question.

• the long con .......

Thanked by 1eol
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2019

@eol said:

@Chuck said:

Answering fee:

serious question. I have 3 virmach VPS....what now? Not gonna pay $75!!!

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • eoleol Member
    edited February 2019

@Chuck said:

@eol said:

@Chuck said:

Answering fee:

serious question. I have 3 virmach VPS....what now? Not gonna pay $75!!!

It's only 25.00 per question.

EDIT2:
    I mean answer.

EDIT3:
    I mean...
    I have no idea.

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited February 2019

@Chuck said:

If you do what OP did and just assume an unpaid VPS will be auto-cancelled, then yes. But if you have 2 brain cells, you'll have the foresight to actually press the magical "Request Cancellation" button before the service renewal date.

• They can do whatever they want. You can sue whatever you want. What really matters - os it really worth the time used to perform any of these activities.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @MasonR said:

@Chuck said:

If you do what OP did and just assume an unpaid VPS will be auto-cancelled, then yes. But if you have 2 brain cells, you'll have the foresight to actually press the magical "Request Cancellation" button before the service renewal date.

Honestly I didn't read the terms when I bought their service. Because I didn't want to miss their holiday Flash sale. I just clicked clicked and clicked.

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • hello its me ur virmach

Thanked by 1eol
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Chuck said:

@MasonR said:

@Chuck said:

Honestly I didn't read the terms when I bought their service. Because I didn't want to miss their holiday Flash sale. I just clicked clicked and clicked.

Lol, me too. But in the case presented here, PEBCAK applies.

Just cancel the VPSes as normal if you no longer need them, not too hard I don't think.

Thanked by 2Chuck uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

hello its me ur virmach

EDIT2:

fuck you, pay me

EDIT3:

@MasonR the worm has turned since OP, this thread is now well on its way to soverign territorah

Concern from (some) recent posts is that some vps are being suspended for no apparent reason

I dunno man ... maybe they weren't idling hard enough

Thanked by 3eol MasonR Xei
    edited February 2019

Chuck said: Honestly I didn't read the terms when I bought their service. Because I didn't want to miss their holiday Flash sale. I just clicked clicked and clicked.

How I assume 90 of orders are made for virtual servers these days!

End result:

Then The hosts face when you want to make it their problem:

And the response goes something like this:

Thanked by 3Chuck eol uptime
  • SyedSyed Member
    edited February 2019

Suspension fees are not charged if your service goes overdue - while the terms technically do allow that, it is not done in practice. Suspension fees are generally reserved for blatant disregard for the AUP.

Did you have another service that was suspended in the past? I'd love to look into this further for you if you'd like. If your ticket was the same one I reviewed, then that fee was most certainly not for going overdue on a service.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2019

I went ahead and canceled my service but I did ask them if they could provide feedback as to what happened. Personally I don't feel comfortable having services with them because it was just really alarming to get my first suspension (in history) for something that had to have been a mistake. My concern was once unsuspended would I get similar or new suspensions that are in error later. It's just something I don't want to have to worry about. I don't really use LET providers anymore but it's a reminder why I stick to the usual big names. Everything just works without worry.

Edit: Given the other report of idling VPS's being suspended it's at least not an isolated problem.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • @Syed said:
    Suspension fees are not charged if your service goes overdue - while the terms technically do allow that, it is not done in practice. Suspension fees are generally reserved for blatant disregard for the AUP.

Did you have another service that was suspended in the past? I'd love to look into this further for you if you'd like. If your ticket was the same one I reviewed, then that fee was most certainly not for going overdue on a service.

I suspect that the OP isn't going to reappear in this thread.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2019

They responded which confirmed one of my two initial guesses, there was a compromise in some way or there was an issue with the auditing script. He sent me a logs of the VPS performing an outbound SYN or SSH scan on port 22 to a large number of IPs. The email I received said "113 SSH connections" as the reason and I assumed it meant I was connected to the VPS 100+ times. It looks like it detects a high volume of outbound connections to port 22 at least and auto suspends (good).

I was using their base Debian installation, no one else had information about my VPS nor access to it, and I didn't install any services (that would be opened to the outside world). I used this system to do test compilations and write trivial scripts.

My initial guess was their email system was compromised because I am doubtful I changed the default password they generated (Yeah IK but my ~40-50 other VPS and few dedis are fine, as is my email, and all of my personal accounts). If it's not that it would be the node itself or SolusVM were compromised or something else in their infrastructure. I can't imagine they have a vulnerability in their base Debian template. He also said it doesn't appear my account was bruteforced.

Edit: They believe there was a vulnerability in the VPS and they said their infrastructure is fine.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2019

@Xei said: Edit: Compromise confirmed but they don't know the attack vector (they are 100% confident it wasn't my email -- that was obvious to me from the get-go though). They wanted to give me another VPS (OMG no). Well that's my first and last Colocrossing provider. It's been my worst experience to date with any company (because my VPS was hacked...).

Sorry to hear that your VPS was compromised, but you appear inclined to conclude that it's Virmach's fault (and even appear to conclude that since Virmach is a CC reseller, it's somehow doubly their fault), which puzzles me. If you hadn't canceled your VPS so quickly, you could have looked for further clues in the VPS, but now it's all moot anyway.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2019

I never said it was Colocrossing nor Virmach's fault.

• @Xei said:

@angstrom said:

@Xei said: Edit: Compromise confirmed but they don't know the attack vector (they are 100% confident it wasn't my email -- that was obvious to me from the get-go though). They wanted to give me another VPS (OMG no). Well that's my first and last Colocrossing provider. It's been my worst experience to date with any company (because my VPS was hacked...).

Sorry to hear that your VPS was compromised, but you appear inclined to conclude that it's Virmach's fault (and even appear to conclude that since Virmach is a CC reseller, it's somehow doubly their fault), which puzzles me. If you hadn't canceled your VPS so quickly, you could have looked for further clues in the VPS, but now it's all moot anyway.

If an idle VPS is compromised when it has no additional services and is up to date for packages using the latest Debian image how is it the end users fault. You make lots of baseless assumptions.

No, it's you who are making assumptions. I'm just questioning them.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2019

@Xei said: Edit: Also I never said it was Colocrossing nor Virmach's fault. You're putting words in my mouth.

I said that you appeared to think this, based on what you wrote. (And why mention CC at all?)