Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to run VirtualBox in a KVM VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to run VirtualBox in a KVM VPS?

I'm in the need to run a VirtualBox instance somewhere and was looking at whether KVM VPSs are capable of doing so and under which conditions.

Is it possible and, if there are particular conditions, which providers satisfy these conditions?

Long story short: I need to virtualize macOS for some lightweight operations and macOS VPSs are expensive AF. I got it to work on a Linux dedicated server which can't host the VM on the long run.

Comments

• If you can find a provider with nested virtualization, then yes it's possible. I have a KVM from a provider that offers that and I'm running Proxmox (basically the same as VirtualBox) and it can run Linux and Windows KVMs within the KVM.

As for MacOS, that's not going to be easy to set up - but it would be technically possible if you have the right, ahem, copy of OSX and VirtualBox..

Thanked by 2sgheghele sdash
  • @dahartigan said:
    If you can find a provider with nested virtualization, then yes it's possible. I have a KVM from a provider that offers that and I'm running Proxmox (basically the same as VirtualBox) and it can run Linux and Windows KVMs within the KVM.

Thanks! Do you have some suggestions for such providers? I just prefer it to be in the EU to reduce lag from home.

As for MacOS, that's not going to be easy to set up - but it would be technically possible if you have the right, ahem, copy of OSX and VirtualBox..

Yeah I have it running already under Debian. Was not easy, but it is manageable.

• iirc @FR_Michael and @GameTownProjects does it but not sure... :(

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • @sgheghele said:

@dahartigan said:
    If you can find a provider with nested virtualization, then yes it's possible. I have a KVM from a provider that offers that and I'm running Proxmox (basically the same as VirtualBox) and it can run Linux and Windows KVMs within the KVM.

Thanks! Do you have some suggestions for such providers? I just prefer it to be in the EU to reduce lag from home.

Yeah I have it running already under Debian. Was not easy, but it is manageable.

Awesome, if you have it working that's the major part of the battle :)

I use @HostDoc in Texas for that, I think their France location has nesting virt enabled IIRC.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • @sgheghele yes, you can.

If you wanna try the power, please let me know :)

• @MKHosting said:
    @sgheghele yes, you can.

If you wanna try the power, please let me know :)

You're on a roll, aren't you? (Need to make up for lost time since November?)

• I was inactive here, that's right.
    I had a lot to do in the last 2/3 months, so I had to prioritize :)

• @MKHosting you're not getting a provider tag, and your spamming is not going to work out well for you

Thanked by 3angstrom MKHosting eol
  • Forgotten ... Thanks! I will refrain immediately!
    I have made a request for provider tag.

• @MKHosting said:
    I was inactive here, that's right.
    I had a lot to do in the last 2/3 months, so I had to prioritize :)

Responding to the OP with "If you wanna try the power, please let me know" is not to give a helpful, specific answer. Minimally, in order to be helpful, make a specific offer that corresponds to what the OP is looking for.

Thanked by 1MKHosting
  • Alright, understood.

In this case, I will wait to see what the check for my provider-tag will do and then adjust the post immediately.

• At the very least this guy is sig spamming

Thanked by 1eol
  • You should run OpenVZ instead.

Thanked by 1eol
  • I recommend CP/M.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @Janevski said:
    You should run OpenVZ instead.

I don't think that an OpenVZ container from a KVM Linux server would work for running macOS. Furthermore, I do not think anyone has ever gotten macOS to work in anything but VirtualBox.

• @sgheghele said:

@Janevski said:

I don't think that an OpenVZ container from a KVM Linux server would work for running macOS. Furthermore, I do not think anyone has ever gotten macOS to work in anything but VirtualBox.

Even if it works acceptable enough (and it won't), that's going to be so cpu intensive, you would disrupt others and you are going to get account terminated.

Thanked by 2sgheghele eol
  • @Janevski said:

@sgheghele said:

@Janevski said:

Even if it works acceptable enough (and it won't), that's going to be so cpu intensive, you would disrupt others and you are going to get account terminated.

This is a very valid point, thank you.
    I think I should be able to recover my discounted root server by @GameTownProjects (thank you @sanvit for the reminder) and try this out.

• @eol
    What is CP/M?

Thanked by 1eol
  • sgheghele said: I don't think that an OpenVZ container from a KVM Linux server would work for running macOS. Furthermore, I do not think anyone has ever gotten macOS to work in anything but VirtualBox.

I have gotten macOS Mojave working in Proxmox with this guide. (If you need an ISO, I have a few on hand..)

• I confirm that running macOS Mojave on a @GameTownProjects vRoot server works fine using @karatekidmonkey linked tutorial.

Thanked by 2ehab uptime
  • @karatekidmonkey , i might ask in future if its oky.
    @sgheghele was it easy? i mean no suprises! how long did it take you? thanks

• ehab said: i might ask in future if its oky.

No problem :)

• @ehab said:
    @karatekidmonkey , i might ask in future if its oky.
    @sgheghele was it easy? i mean no suprises! how long did it take you? thanks

For me it was the first time ever with Proxmox and most of the complexity came from that. If you are already a bit familiar with it, the tutorial is literally just some copy/paste actions. Most of my issues came at two points:

• Understanding that the OSK key includes Apple's copyright claim.
    • Properly setting up the vmbr0 bridged interface, as I have two public IPs.
    Thanked by 1ehab
  • sgheghele said: Understanding that the OSK key includes Apple's copyright claim.

Yes, it should be 64 characters. If you're having trouble finding it it's available here but obviously you should not post it plaintext.