Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί OVH Public Cloud, Now also in Singapore πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ and Australia πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί! Save 50% on monthly usage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Public Cloud, Now also in Singapore πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ and Australia πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί! Save 50% on monthly usage

Comments

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited February 2019

@teamacc said:

@sudoranger said:
    Do you block port 25 with no way to lift it up like DO and Vultr (for example)?

iirc DO does block port 25 out of the box, but you can ticket in and give some justification and possibly some identification to have it lifted. Can you confirm @jar?

No, I sent them a ticket 2 days ago. Michael said it couldn't be lifted up. So, I'm looking to migrate my $28/month vps away. So, it's ok I hate to beg just move on.

• @sudoranger said:

@teamacc said:

@sudoranger said:
    Do you block port 25 with no way to lift it up like DO and Vultr (for example)?

iirc DO does block port 25 out of the box, but you can ticket in and give some justification and possibly some identification to have it lifted. Can you confirm @jar?

No, I sent them a ticket 2 days ago. Michael said it couldn't be lifted up. So, I'm looking to migrate my $28/month vps away. So, it's ok I hate to beg just move on.

@dahartigan

Yeah, so if there's a network-related issue. You will have to wait for the first-hand upstream provider to figure it out, the resellers can't do much hence the cheaper pricing (as in support). I'm not sure, I don't know how their business model works but $1/month profit won't make them last a few decades... This is just my general assumption, it's not totally correct.

If there's a network related issue upstream chances are upstream are aware and will fix it. Remember, the host is their customer still and any sla etc would apply to them, and by proxy, me.

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited February 2019

@dahartigan

We are going off-topic and to respect the OP, we shall continue this discussion in private to avoid hijacking.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2019

Guys, try not to talk about the resellers in the upstream thread, and talk about the upstreams in the reseller thread? :)

Different companies have different business models, and OVH is already consider cheap as compared to the other cloud providers out there.

EDIT: @sudoranger don't worry I am not blaming you, I am just saying it in general.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

FAT32 said: OVH is already consider cheap as compared to the other cloud providers out there.

Yeah, people got so spoiled by now. $3.50 for a 2 GB KVM in SG with the best DDoS protection out there, unmetered incoming (i.e. effective 2TB b/w for VPN style usage), and the thread is all complaints.

Thanked by 2FAT32 vimalware
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

teamacc said: iirc DO does block port 25 out of the box, but you can ticket in and give some justification and possibly some identification to have it lifted. Can you confirm @jar?

In some cases, yes. You can use some other ports to send through an external mail service, but new customers may sometimes be unable to immediately use their servers for direct outbound mail.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

My take away from this post is that hosts are now allowed to post offers for VPS without price limits as long as you give an hourly break down.

Sweet.

• Deepak_lebDeepak_leb Member
    edited February 2019

Any one give me a justification,
    Why they have stated "sandboxed" instead of using it as "production use"..
    Is their vps are not reliable ?

Correct me If I am wrong !

• @Deepak_leb said:

Marketing trick to encourage you to buy higher and more expensive plans for more income and profit

Thanked by 3Deepak_leb rm_ imok
  • @Chocoweb said:

@Deepak_leb said:

Marketing trick to encourage you to buy higher and more expensive plans for more income and profit

^
    Marketing trick to encourage you to not buy higher and more expensive plans for less income and profit

• @eol said:

@Chocoweb said:

@Deepak_leb said:

^
    Marketing trick to encourage you to not buy higher and more expensive plans for less income and profit

Lol

Thanked by 1eol
  • GigsGigsGigsGigs Member, Host Rep

We are creating VM in OVH, taking one week, services still not activated ..

• If anyone is looking for a benchmark for a specific spec, let me know :)

• how many ipv6 provide in every package??

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

@sudoranger said:
    @dahartigan

I believe hostdoc is OVH reseller. They don't own a datacenter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi @OVH_APAC

1. Can I deploy live production websites on Public Cloud SANDBOXES? Do you have Ubuntu 18.04.2 template?

2. It looks like both Public Cloud support IPv6, how many given by default?

3. I need to run sendmail out-of-the-box. Do you block port 25 with no way to lift it up like DO and Vultr (for example)?

4. Can you tell me more on the rDNS configuration?

5. How long can i burst the usage for 250 Mbps public guaranteed on the Public Cloud SANDBOXES? 1 minute only? Than how much will it be throttled?

6. I see snapshots but do you have auto-retention backups? How much?

7. Is the additional IP only for fail-over? Can I request an IP per website per instance (up to 5-10) with justification?

8. Can you explain more details on the accelerated IOPS as in figurative? 3,000 IOPS per 20GB for $1.80/months, I have to say that's quite a bargain. May I know if it's automatically deployed under /mnt or do I need to configure some fstab. Is it just for OpenStack storage can I use it for my webserver document root (public_html)?

9. Do you have free DNS management?

10. Why is this offer on the General category?

// thanks

Hello @sudoranger ,

1) yes you can deploy live production websites, just beware that Sandboxes are shared resources whereas our public cloud instances are dedicated resources (= no overallocation on a host = guarantted performance 100% of the time)
    Yes, Ubuntu 18.04.2 is available and all major Linux distributions

2) 1 IPv6 per virtual server

3) We do not block port 25 (except for spammers)

4) rDNS: checking with the Product team and will get back to you

5) burst: checking with the Product team and will get back to you, but please note sandboxes are 100mbps public in best effort. The guaranteed bandwidth only apply on instances.

6) Snapshots: you can do as many as you want and you only pay for the storage. (i'll clarify the cost in GB/hour asap)

7) You can add up to 16 IPs on Sandboxes and 256 IPs on instances.

8) Checking with the Product team and will get back to you

9) We offer Domain Names where you can manage your DNS from OVH.ie

10) This was more an announcement/news than an offer, but it has been move to the offer section anyway.

@Chocoweb said:

@Deepak_leb said:

Hello @Chocoweb
    Sandboxes and VPS are shared resources whereas our public cloud instances are dedicated resources (= no overallocation on a host = guaranteed performance 100% of the time).
    Hope this clarifies

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Hi @OVH_APAC, is the discover VPS (discontinued) dedicated resources or shared resources?

@stefeman said:
    Nice. Setting up now. GPU instances when? Also do you have NGC available on Singapore?

Hello @stefeman,
    GPU instances are only available in our European datacenters. No plan at this stage for OVH Singapore and Sydney Datacenters.

@FAT32 said:
    Hi @OVH_APAC, is the discover VPS (discontinued) dedicated resources or shared resources?

Hello @FAT32,
    the discontinued VPS APAC discover offer was shared resources.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2019

How does the cpu performance /cycle allocation compare between the memory-optimized and general-optimized instance types?
    Edit:memory optimized instances are 2.4Ghz.
    Both are listed as 2.3Ghz cores on the page when I checked on launch day.

The CPU instances are clearly different (3.1Ghz clock).

• order link shows a white page!

• Worx here.

@niceboy said:
    order link shows a white page!

Hello @niceboy ,
    Could you share the link in PM for us to investigate and your location (country)?
    thank you

edited February 2019

@OVH_APAC

[OVH_APAC said](/discussion/155833/ovh-public-cloud-now-also-in-singapore-and- > australia-save-50-on-monthly-usage): Price for Linux: US$ 0.074 /hour or SAVE 50% on
    monthly usage: US$ 26.40 /month
    Price for Windows: US$ 0.174 /hour or SAVE 50% on monthly usage: US$ 62.40 /month

What part of $7 confused you? https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1

Thanked by 1vimalware

@AnthonySmith said:
    @OVH_APAC

[OVH_APAC said](/discussion/155833/ovh-public-cloud-now-also-in-singapore-and- > australia-save-50-on-monthly-usage): Price for Linux: US$ 0.074 /hour or SAVE 50% on
    monthly usage: US$ 26.40 /month
    Price for Windows: US$ 0.174 /hour or SAVE 50% on monthly usage: US$ 62.40 /month

What part of $7 confused you? https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1

Hello @AnthonySmith ,
    This was meant to be an announcement rather than an offer initially and I have already requested a moderator to remove this part to abid by the rules as it has been moved to the offer section. Unfortunately I cannot edit this post myself anymore.

Well an announcement of a product and showing prices is... and offer.

• @OVH_APAC said:
    2) 1 IPv6 per virtual server

Which translates to "we are clueless about networking".

Thanked by 2jgillich Daniel15
  • I think the answer for #9 is slightly misleading?

9) We offer Domain Names where you can manage your DNS from OVH.ie

I wasn't asking about the other product you offer but actually wondering if there's a free dns management that I can use to manage my public cloud (dedicated/sanboxes) with my registrar. I mean like the one that DO has... = no?

• Regarding rDNS you can set it on the "IP" menu in the sidebar. But damn, io is slowwww

Thanked by 1Daniel15