Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Have A Home Server? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do You Have A Home Server?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

http://81.12.174.83/homeserver.jpg As I promised, my main home server
    Sorry for delay, only now needed to do something on it and remembered.
    M

• Nothing fancy, just a nice Compaq with a broken VGA port that I got for free
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz (Replaced a Pentium dual core, eh)
    RAM: 2GB DDR2
    Hard drive: 320GB Internal, 1TB External
    Misc: Gigabit PCI card to Linksys E3000

Model: Compaq-Presario KJ384AA-ABA
    ISP: Comcast (Horrible, but the only semi-decent one we can get)
    Operating system: CentOS 6 (Was on CentOS 5 at first, then Debian, then CentOS again)

Used to have 50 days uptime, before we repainted the room it was in and had to unplug it/the router and modem temporarily, but currently:
    [root@desktop ~]$ uptime
    04:09:49 up 1 day, 10:06, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.05
    [root@desktop ~]$

Runs uShare to stream to Xbox 360, Samba to share with all other computers, and a few random crons to do some silly monitoring stuff, also has a few random ISOs/executables for Windows from random computer jobs :p

• alfredinoalfredino Member
    edited March 2012

Seagate Dockstar with 500gb external hdd

Archlinuxarm on a 4gb usb stick. 128mb ram. Works fine for openvpn, bitlbee, dm-crypt, pyLoad for downloading and video streaming via sshfs. :)

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
    BogoMIPS : 1191.11
    Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
    CPU implementer : 0x56
    CPU architecture: 5TE
    CPU variant : 0x2
    CPU part : 0x131
    CPU revision : 1

Hardware : Marvell SheevaPlug Reference Board

Revision : 0000
    Serial : 0000000000000000

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Cool one ! o:
    I bet alienware are hiding in their corner...
    M

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited March 2012

1.8Ghz x2 Intel CPU
    2Gb DDR2 RAM
    60Gb Corsair SSD

I connected this 5 year old laptop (Around $1,500 when we purchased it) to my network, and use it as a RDP. I mainly use Mac, so it's handy for applications I can't run.

Laptop is a Sony Vaio.

• EddieEddie Member
    edited March 2012

I'm running 3 Dockstars with Dockstar Debian. 2 with external HDs and serving as NASes. One's a torrentbox, one for nzbs, and one's screen/irssi 24/7. The great thing is that each one draws about 6 to 8 watts (including the HD power). The base Dockstars are specced the same as alfredino's, above.

Getting the Dockstars going gave me a head start on learning my way around VPSes, as well as giving me a distinct preference for running Debian on servers (although my desktops/laptops run Ubuntu).

• I've had various homeservers from old Dell's to Acer Revo's and custom built Atom systems. Now I just use a Synology DS410 /w 4x 1.5TB Samsung drives. As much as I like having a machine to play with, it does everything I need and is small enough to stick in a bag and take onsite if I need to dump large amounts of data.

• I've got a Dell 1950 III that I'm now using just to do software upgrade testing for my hosting business, what is nice is that I can do all that on various VPS configurations. I'll probably retire the old laptop DNS server and make a DNS VPS for the house, and a new cacti VPS that I use for collecting stats off my production servers. I use monitis for critical items, but I like cacti for stats and it's rarely down plus it's free :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

About two days ago (Sunday) I had the chance to setup my old desktop as a home server, so I did and so far I am loving it! I can finally retire my netbook server! You can load a small .HTML page from my home server here: http://server.jeffthecomputergeek.com. My home server is now a Compaq S5300NX with 1GB DDR Ram, Intel Pentium 4 2.40Ghz, 120GB HDD.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said: You can load a small .HTML page from my home server here: http://server.jeffthecomputergeek.com

You have me beat: http://kujoe.is-a-geek.com

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I run an old HP dl380 G4 at home.

Two 2.8Ghz Pen. 4 Xeon
    6Gb ram
    6 - 73Gb -10K drives ( Raid 5 I think)

• KairusKairus Member

@Fliphost said: Two 2.8Ghz Pen. 4 Xeon

6Gb ram
    6 - 73Gb -10K drives ( Raid 5 I think)

Ouch, I can only imagine the power usage.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: Not to mention noise is a huge factor for me since my whole network is under my bed so silence really is golden.

So, uh, don't you worry about, um...damage to your gear from...you know...vibrations?

@charliecron, your name reminds me of old Unix OS that called its root user "Charlie Root" (that was the name for 'root' in /etc/passed). It was a commercial OS from the early/mid 90s. SunOS 4.x perhaps?

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BTW, I really have no excuse for not having a house stuffed with old gear, because you can get pretty much as many old computers as you want in Portland for free...just make some out of donated parts for others and every fifth one you make is yours to take home for free:

http://www.freegeek.org

"Helping the Needy Get Nerdy". Pretty cool organization.

Thanked by 2netomx djvdorp
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: So, uh, don't you worry about, um...damage to your gear from...you know...vibrations?

LoL, it's under my futon in my office, not in my master bedroom. ;P

• Got a 32TB array doing the work of one, it's nice enough =3=

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Small home server

Core2duo
    8gb ddr2
    2x1tb

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

I started keeping all of my stuff on secure systems on the Internet instead of local servers (3 datacenter minimum for everything, regardless of importance). Joke was on me. Moral of the story is when you have 30mbit cable in the middle of no where with a year of 99% uptime, you're just that much closer to another year of 10mbit cable with a 40% uptime. I stuck with my plan, just now my stuff is inaccessible to me by anything other than 3G 60% of the time ;)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Kairus Ouch, I can only imagine the power usage.

Lol your telling me, I think its near 1200-1300 watts between it's two power supplies. I put it into a dynamic lower powerf mode to try to curve it a bit.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

BTW everyone, how many Watts will a standard P4 computer comsume being on 24/7? How much should I expect my electricity bill to go up? It's a Pentium 4 2.50Ghz from about 2004.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@Jeffrey said: BTW everyone, how many Watts will a standard P4 computer comsume being on 24/7? How much should I expect my electricity bill to go up? It's a Pentium 4 2.50Ghz from about 2004.

The CPU alone would be 120ish watts when idle - You probably want to check that out.
    Then add the motherboard, disk drives, inefficiency of the PSU, and you've got a lovely money burner.

• @Jeffrey

I'd have stuck with the netbook if I was you

• earlearl Member

@jeffery If you average out the peak and off peak hours I'm guessing probably $10 or less..

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited May 2012

@earl $10 or less per year/day/hour?

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@titanicsaled Why? Just because of power usage? Well, this desktop is far more powerful than my netbook and so far it is A LOT faster on my end.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

Desktop Server

This is my new dedi server. :)

• edited May 2012

Just a noob little phenom 3.2ghz 8gb ddr3 server to work on localhost :P

• earlearl Member

@Jeffrey said: @earl $10 or less per year/day/hour?

Sorry about that.. I'm guessing it's about $10 per month or less.. (at 6.5 - 12 kwh)

• @earl said: Sorry about that.. I'm guessing it's about $10 per month or less.. (at 6.5 - 12 kwh)

I'm saying more like $15

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@TheHackBox $15/Month!?! Are you serious??