Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for (paid) some help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for (paid) some help

nikcnikc Member
edited February 2019 in Help

I'm looking for someone to work with me to resolve a bit of a mess....

I have a dedi with hetzner that was a solus slave ... the master died and i didn't have a backup (i know .....)

The KVMs on the slave are still running and I'd like to migrate them to Proxmox on the same host - so i'm thinking, 1. back up to spare host .... 2. rebuild Hetzner as a prxmox host, setup the IPs, .3 copy KVMs back over onto Heztener, 3. Import into Proxmox.

These are just my VMs, no paying customers but i'd rather not loose them. The reason I'd like to go with Proxmox is I would like to retain a GUI for management and provisioning of new VMs + i dont really wanna pay for the solus licence just for me.

Does my "plan" above make any sense ? Any better options ?

Anyone keen to help out with this as a paid job (i dont have a massive amount of cash, but to make this painless, and to get help from someone who comes recommended I'd be willing to pay).

Cheers

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2019

I think much easier to backup the content of VPSes and rebuild whole lot instead of migrating to the system like Proxmox. The Proxmox support is expensive.

The solusvm license is cheap for micro and mini license

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited February 2019

To counter that, I happily run Proxmox 5 (free) on two dedis and find it easy to use now that they're running. I use them for long term VPS backups with Nextcloud. Additionally I spin up KVM and LXC for particular tests, projects and compiles.

• Build Proxmox on spare host.
    Create a small VPS on the spare host, so you can see the file structure.
    Dump/snapshot backups of running VPS and scp them to the Proxmox server.
    Import the backups to Proxmox spare host and ensure they run.
    Continue as you see fit.

Thanked by 2t0m eol
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@nikc

for lvm in `lvs --noheadings -o lv_name`; do dd if=/dev/VGNAME/$lvm | gzip -2 | ssh -i PATHTOSSHKEY -o \"StrictHostKeyChecking = no\" USER@HOST -- "gunzip | dd of=/root/$lvm.img"

You can use above code to transfer all your lvms to another server. After that setup a GUI and create the same number of vps and restore the same stuff back

for lvm in `ls /root/*.img`; do dd if=/root/$lvm | gzip -2 | ssh -i PATHTOSSHKEY -o \"StrictHostKeyChecking = no\" USER@HOST -- "gunzip | dd of=/dev/VGNAME/LVNAME"

Thanked by 2Frameworks nikc
  • eoleol Member
    edited February 2019

sudo apt-get mv vm.

EDIT2:
    And it's Hetzner, not "Heztener".

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota
  • Thanks a lot @BharatB - will give that a go.

@eol "solus slave" thus Centos, thus yum.

Thanked by 1eol