Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to keep .eu domain (UK)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to keep .eu domain (UK)

Eurid are gonna remove every .EU domain registered in the UK on 29th march (Brexit)

Any (cheap) ways to keep a domain? I know you can register as an e citizen of Estonia or something but it's £100 and you need to go to London

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

If it's a personal domain that you don't care much about, I would say fill in garbage info...
    If you don't want to fill in garbage, ask someone in EU (a friend maybe?) to register it for you.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Transfer out to a EU citizen or fake the information.
    But the chances are high, if they notice that or someone reports it.
    You gonna loose it.

• Check the registry rules, most allow for you to have domains registered by proxy. As long as you have a representative in the EU, you're all good. Some places offer that as a service. You'll have to pay, though.

The faking details thing is less risky nowadays considering WHOIS data is no longer public domain, if it's a valuable domain I'd suggest having a legit EU contact.

• LeonDynamicLeonDynamic Member
    edited February 2019

Have a look at becoming an e-resident of Estonia. Costs €100 and need to submit ID. Details here https://e-resident.gov.ee

Yes need to go to London but that’s to verify ID and collect documents.

If the domains are worth that much might be a good investment.

• @LeonDynamic said:
    Have a look at becoming an e-resident of Estonia. Costs €100 and need to submit ID. Details here https://e-resident.gov.ee

Didnt they have a major issue with security of those cards which enabled identity theft?

• @Drv not entirely sure, they could have. It’s not a service I have used.

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2019

Does anyone actually use a .EU domain for anything serious apart from EU institutions?

The Estonia thing seems dumb to me - sign up to pay taxes to a government that does absolutely nothing for you. You can do it online and it's so easy!

Just find a proxy registrar of you really want to keep it.

• RIP glassanimals.eu

One of the biggest UK .eu domains I know of

• I mostly register with GlobeHosting.ro. With my business ID I registered some RO and ES TLD’s without living there. It’s one of the very few providers that I know that work like this.

• Went with the fake WHOIS contact info

Thanks for the advice everyone

Thanked by 1eol
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I just think it's funny the leave campaign used a .eu domain (not from a political point of view, I dont want to get into that - just that their anti EU stance then paid for a .eu domain)

Thanked by 2eol Ole_Juul
  • @DennisdeWit said:
    I mostly register with GlobeHosting.ro. With my business ID I registered some RO and ES TLD’s without living there. It’s one of the very few providers that I know that work like this.

Are you sure ?

• You can transfer ownership to my EU corporation. Fee will be 800 euro/week.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    I mostly register with GlobeHosting.ro. With my business ID I registered some RO and ES TLD’s without living there. It’s one of the very few providers that I know that work like this.

Anyone on the planet may register a .ro. No special address/citizenship requirements.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2019

I would never buy .RO again, not after the last year scam with contracts changed to yearly payments on their domains.

Although .EU can still be used, and I don't think there will be any political issues, we now have a wide range of new gTLDs at our disposal. I don't think domains are a problem nowadays, only their price because of ICANN taxes.

We almost consumed IPv4, and we still pay insanely for some names on a database. For more than 20 years we pay yearly for some text (aka domain), with some other text information (aka whois info) inside a database server (TLD), that does not even receive too many requests because of all the cache inside recursors.

Edit1: Yes, I believe we can do this on a Raspberry PI 3.

Edit2: Yes, we can also do this on 512mb RAM VPS from BuyVM or Virmach.

Edit3: Yes, we may be able to hold a TLD on a NAT VPS (but I am not too sure because of port limitations on IPv4).

Thanked by 4eol t0m uptime lazyt