Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSailor dirt cheap KVM - quick review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSailor dirt cheap KVM - quick review

jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
edited February 2019 in Reviews

After a "vivid" discussion in a recent @HostSailor dedi offer thread, including some Krebs "security authority" based smearing I got interested and as a friend just happened to need a really cheap VPS we went for it.

As I don't know whether the VPS we purchased is an official promo or we just were lucky finding it I will, for the sake of fairness, not provide a link. I'll leave it to HostSailor to provide it (or to someone else who feels like sharing it).

The KVM VPS costs about 9€ yearly and one gets 1 Core (2 T), 256 MB memory, 15 GB hdd, 256 GB traffic and is in NL.

Machine: amd64, Arch.: amd64, Model: QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
Mem.: 221 MB
CPU - Cores: 2, Family/Model/Stepping: 6/13/3
Cache: 32K/32K L1d/L1i, 2M L2, ? L3
Std. Flags: fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
          cflsh mmx fxsr sse sse2 sse3 cx16 hypervisor
Ext. Flags: syscall nx lm lahf_lm

--- proc/mem/performance test single core ---
64 rounds~ 1.00 GB ->  172.67 MB/s
--- proc/mem/performance test multi-core ---
4 times 64 rounds ~ 4.00 GB ->  367.71 MB/s
--- disk test ---
Sequential writing 273.71 MB/s
Random writing     12.58 MB/s
Sequential reading 309.18 MB/s
Random reading     21.05 MB/s
--- network test ---
mel01.softlayer.com AU,MEL: 16.5 Mb/s
che01.softlayer.com IN,CHE: 32.6 Mb/s
lon02.softlayer.com UK,LON: 395.1 Mb/s
fra02.softlayer.com DE,FRA: 462.9 Mb/s
mil01.softlayer.com IT,MIL: 192.3 Mb/s
par01.softlayer.com FR,PAR: 355.8 Mb/s
lg-ro.vps2day.com   RO,BUC: 41.6 Mb/s
ftp.otenet.gr       GR,UNK: 87.6 Mb/s
93.95.100.190       RU,MOS: 12.2 Mb/s
dal05.softlayer.com US,DAL: 40.4 Mb/s
sjc01.softlayer.com US,SJC: 33.5 Mb/s
wdc01.softlayer.com US,WDC: 54.5 Mb/s
sao01.softlayer.com BR,SAO: 24.4 Mb/s
tokyo.linode.com    JP,TOK: 21.0 Mb/s
osl01.softlayer.com NO,OSL: 159.4 Mb/s

Pros:

• Very nice performance considering the price
  • Really nice connectivity

Cons:

• slow spindles (don't know whether RAID or single spindle)

Caveats:

• their support is not slow (I've seen a lot worse) but somewhat bureaucratic which costs time. Explanation: Whenever one opens or adds to a ticket, one first gets what seems like a meaningless formal reply along the lines of "we are looking into it". But maybe that's just annoying me and others like that. All in all problems get resolved within a couple of hours, which is very acceptable considering the price.
  • Should you need a 2nd IP that IP alone costs more than double the price of the basic VPS.

Summary: Excellent bang for the buck. I like it a lot. And if one knows how, quite a lot can be done with a small but decent 256MB VPS. As far as I know they have larger VPSs in that cheap line too.

Recommended.

Disclaimer: I had no relation to or with HostSailor before getting that VPS for a friend and still am not related to them (other than via support if and as needed for the normal operation of the VPS). I didn't ask for or receive any kind of special pricing or treatment. HostSailor were not informed in advance of this test/review.

Comments

• You wouldn't wait a bit more time like a month to make sure it was all smooth before recommending? Sounds like you didn't have this server very long. Even on the worst servers I've had, it often worked fine for at least three weeks before something shitty happened to it.

What did you have to get support for? If it was something that needed to be checked over time, then a quick "we're looking into it" is good if it will take another hour or two to get a response. But if they always first say they're looking into it and reply back like 2 minutes later, that would bother me, too. So depends on the case.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TimboJones said:
    You wouldn't wait a bit more time like a month to make sure it was all smooth before recommending? Sounds like you didn't have this server very long.

And I clearly said so. Should it turn out that I just was lucky for a couple ofdays, I can - and will - write that here.

What did you have to get support for? If it was something that needed to be checked over time, then a quick "we're looking into it" is good if it will take another hour or two to get a response. But if they always first say they're looking into it and reply back like 2 minutes later, that would bother me, too. So depends on the case.

Different small things, partly due to our requirements, partly due to technical reasons (like a network mask != 255.255.255.0).

As for the response timing the funny thing is that eveb the first "pro forma" response took quite a while and the real response typically followed again a while later ("a while" meaning something in between 30 min. and 6 hours).

And again, considering the price and that I have worse or at least not better for double the price (and more) I wouldn't complain and still recommend that VPS (albeit a bit less emphatically) if it really turned out to have only 70% of the current performance in the long run.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited February 2019

I've got a mini sailor VPS (OpenVZ) from HostSailor since last November. Here is its performance snapshot:

$ wget -qO- bench.sh | bash
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores      : 1
    CPU frequency        : 3399.843 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 50.0 GB (2.0 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 256 MB (256 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 256 MB (91 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 102 days, 20 hour 10 min
    Load average         : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 8
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 2.6.32-042stab132.1
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 819 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 769 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 1.3 GB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 973.1 MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         57.5MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          6.92MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            7.44MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           42.0MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           67.7MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             5.73MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           13.7MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          10.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            69.9MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           10.6MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          9.32MB/s

I have 11 VPSes from various providers and I pull data from all of them daily. 3 of those VPSes have problems like mysterious power-downs or reboots, no available space to write data when it should have plenty. But my HostSailor VPS doesn't give me any trouble so far and I would say it is reliable.

My HostSailor VPS is in Romania.

Thanked by 2HostSailor coreflux
  • HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2019

@jsg said:
    After a "vivid" discussion in a recent @HostSailor dedi offer thread, including some Krebs "security authority" based smearing I got interested and as a friend just happened to need a really cheap VPS we went for it.

As I don't know whether the VPS we purchased is an official promo or we just were lucky finding it I will, for the sake of fairness, not provide a link. I'll leave it to HostSailor to provide it (or to someone else who feels like sharing it).

The KVM VPS costs about 9€ yearly and one gets 1 Core (2 T), 256 MB memory, 15 GB hdd, 256 GB traffic and is in NL.

Machine: amd64, Arch.: amd64, Model: QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    Mem.: 221 MB
    CPU - Cores: 2, Family/Model/Stepping: 6/13/3
    Cache: 32K/32K L1d/L1i, 2M L2, ? L3
    Std. Flags: fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
              cflsh mmx fxsr sse sse2 sse3 cx16 hypervisor
    Ext. Flags: syscall nx lm lahf_lm

--- proc/mem/performance test single core ---
    64 rounds~ 1.00 GB ->  172.67 MB/s
    --- proc/mem/performance test multi-core ---
    4 times 64 rounds ~ 4.00 GB ->  367.71 MB/s
    --- disk test ---
    Sequential writing 273.71 MB/s
    Random writing     12.58 MB/s
    Sequential reading 309.18 MB/s
    Random reading     21.05 MB/s
    --- network test ---
    mel01.softlayer.com   AU,MEL: 16.5 Mb/s
    che01.softlayer.com   IN,CHE: 32.6 Mb/s
    lon02.softlayer.com   UK,LON: 395.1 Mb/s
    fra02.softlayer.com   DE,FRA: 462.9 Mb/s
    mil01.softlayer.com   IT,MIL: 192.3 Mb/s
    par01.softlayer.com   FR,PAR: 355.8 Mb/s
    lg-ro.vps2day.com RO,BUC: 41.6 Mb/s
    ftp.otenet.gr     GR,UNK: 87.6 Mb/s
    93.95.100.190     RU,MOS: 12.2 Mb/s
    dal05.softlayer.com   US,DAL: 40.4 Mb/s
    sjc01.softlayer.com   US,SJC: 33.5 Mb/s
    wdc01.softlayer.com   US,WDC: 54.5 Mb/s
    sao01.softlayer.com   BR,SAO: 24.4 Mb/s
    tokyo.linode.com  JP,TOK: 21.0 Mb/s
    osl01.softlayer.com   NO,OSL: 159.4 Mb/s

Pros:

• Very nice performance considering the price
    • Really nice connectivity

Cons:

• slow spindles (don't know whether RAID or single spindle)

Caveats:

• their support is not slow (I've seen a lot worse) but somewhat bureaucratic which costs time. Explanation: Whenever one opens or adds to a ticket, one first gets what seems like a meaningless formal reply along the lines of "we are looking into it". But maybe that's just annoying me and others like that. All in all problems get resolved within a couple of hours, which is very acceptable considering the price.
    • Should you need a 2nd IP that IP alone costs more than double the price of the basic VPS.

Summary: Excellent bang for the buck. I like it a lot. And if one knows how, quite a lot can be done with a small but decent 256MB VPS. As far as I know they have larger VPSs in that cheap line too.

Recommended.

Disclaimer: I had no relation to or with HostSailor before getting that VPS for a friend and still am not related to them (other than via support if and as needed for the normal operation of the VPS). I didn't ask for or receive any kind of special pricing or treatment. HostSailor were not informed in advance of this test/review.

We do aim to reply to tickets within 10-15 minutes at all times either its morning or night, weekend or weekdays however due to a lot of queries on the 14th during our Valentines promotions and coincidentally due to the fact that we had less technicians working during none working hours we failed to offer you a resolution within a timely manner, we do apologize and rest assured we've had an internal talk with the support team to make sure we keep up with the load during busy times, thank you for your honest review its appreciated, we will be posting soon some lovely VPS offers (Work in progress).

• Could anyone tell if HostSailor is the same company as HostGator aka seedbox.io?

This discussion has been closed.