Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this bench good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is this bench good?

To get basic idea of my vps performance, I ran this script: http://www.akamaras.com/linux/linux-server-info-script/

It gave following results. Are these good?

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Number of cores : 4
CPU frequency : 2666.664 MHz
Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
Total amount of swap : 1024 MB
System uptime : 2 days, 7:10,
Download speed : (56.0MB/s)
I/O speed : 43.5MB/s

Comments

• Its fine.

• Terrible CPU

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited October 2013

serverian said: Terrible CPU

4 cores @2.66 GHZ.. is that really bad?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Looks fine to me.

• sc754 said: It's not as nice as this one:

I take that as a .... (indication that the benchmark score is bad?)

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

It's a super old processor.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/27218/

• @qtriangle said:

Can't say if really bad. We don't know how much op is paying for it, but:

Not 4 cores, just 2 cores + ht http://ark.intel.com/products/27218/ (maybe 4 if it is running dual xeons)

And it's from 2009 but even a 2007 mid-range desktop cpu is faster (if running dual they are equal to/a bit slower than a 2007 high end desktop).

• RAM NODE

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 3300.069 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 256 MB
    System uptime : 57 days, 20:50,
    Download speed : (90.3MB/s)
    I/O speed : 609MB/s

• @qtriangle said:

The MHz does not matter. Old P4's have 3.0GHz but they are as powerful as today's Atoms.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

@JamesGTRS said:
    RAM NODE

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 3300.069 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 256 MB
    System uptime : 57 days, 20:50,
    Download speed : (90.3MB/s)
    I/O speed : 609MB/s

Comparing apples to oranges, you don't know what price he's paying...

• c0yc0y Member

@Darwin said:
    And it's from 2009 but even a 2007 mid-range desktop cpu is faster (if running dual they are equal to/a bit slower than a 2007 high end desktop).

Also, it was discontinued in 2009, meaning it was released way earlier

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited October 2013

How if it's 9+ USD?

• @qtriangle said:
    How if it's 9+ USD?

Unless it's managed or it's on a superior network or something, then you my friend, got screwed.

• serverian said: Unless it's managed or it's on a superior network or something, then you my friend, got screwed.

Not entirely wrong I would say :)
    But actually it has performed very well since last 1+ year. No downtime.
    2GB RAM, 1 g Swap, 100 GB Disk.
    Who can provide all this under 9 USD ??

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Almost every provider here probably.

• @Frost said:
    Also, it was discontinued in 2009, meaning it was released way earlier

My bad, it was released in Q3'2006.

• Saiku said: Almost every provider here probably.

I realised this is correct, and I can find a good deal on LEB.
    I am posting a thread asking for offers. where can I?
    The problem I may face is that I have kloxo setup with 50+ sites on it.
    How can I do a quick migration?

• Thanks, asked him. Will wait for his reply. He seems to be a new but reputed guy!?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2013

@qtriangle said:
    Thanks, asked him. Will wait for his reply. He seems to be a new but reputed guy!?

We've been around for over a year now so relatively new but don't see us going anywhere :)

• qtriangle said:

Saiku said: Almost every provider here probably.

I realised this is correct, and I can find a good deal on LEB. I am posting a thread asking for offers. where can I? The problem I may face is that I have kloxo setup with 50+ sites on it. How can I do a quick migration?

Forget about it. If it's stable and working for you why go through the hassle of switching servers? You are not paying for x MHz or y GB. You are paying for stable and reliable hosting. More MHz and GB that you don't need is not going to make your life better. OTOH if you screw up the migration you could face downtime and that might cost you real money.

• @Abdussamad said:
    Forget about it. If it's stable and working for you why go through the hassle of switching servers? You are not paying for x MHz or y GB. You are paying for stable and reliable hosting. More MHz and GB that you don't need is not going to make your life better. OTOH if you screw up the migration you could face downtime and that might cost you real money.

If his host don't upgrade their almost 10 year old hardware, I don't see a reason why him staying with them.

• @serverian said:
    If his host don't upgrade their almost 10 year old hardware, I don't see a reason why him staying with them.

Because it works! Haven't you heard of the saying don't fix what isn't broken?

• @Abdussamad said:
    Because it works! Haven't you heard of the saying don't fix what isn't broken?

Then why people innovate technology every day when the older ones work just fine?

• serverian said: Then why people innovate technology every day when the older ones work just fine?

off topic ->>Because they don't have any new income? So they make new staff that break's faster.

Just watched this http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/light-bulb-conspiracy/ and you inspired me :) <<-off topic

Back to topic, if it works just keep it.

• @5n1p said:

Of course, there is a true part in that. Like smart phones and stuff.

However, you cannot compare that to main computer parts like CPU, Motherboard, Storage Devices, Memory.

The problem here is not even that. A technology company should invest in their infrastructure and upgrade them for their old customers as well. Not just buy new hardware for new customers.

See BuyVM and Linode for example. They care for their current customers and therefore they upgrade their hardware and provide better service for the same price.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • I said off topic, and I do agree at some point everything needs to be upgraded.

• @Frost said:
    Comparing apples to oranges, you don't know what price he's paying...

Not comparing anything...just putting out some specs.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@qtriangle said:
    4 cores @2.66 GHZ.. is that really bad?

Yeah, as others have pointed out it's very old and has a low benchmark score:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html

There are Intel Celerons that benchmark higher (and use less power).