Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumphost VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jumphost VPS

axxessaxxess Member
edited February 2019 in Requests

Dear Providers,

I am looking for a very low end and low budget vps to utilize as a permanent jumphost.
Requirements: EU-based, IPv6 support, minimal distro image (preferred Alpine).
Nice to have: Large or unlimited bandwidth

Comments

• "jumphost"? I spot a Gen X

• @smile said:
    "jumphost"? I spot a Gen X

Care to spot a nice deal too ?

• @axxess said:

@smile said:
    "jumphost"? I spot a Gen X

Care to spot a nice deal too ?

I havn't heard of anyone refer to a vps as a jumphost except possibly in 1990's so I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Hetzner. I guess.

• axxessaxxess Member
    edited February 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_server and in my case an SSH Jumphost

thank you!

• I call it the same thing, and I know what you're looking for. Check out the NAT VPS from a bunch of providers here @AnthonySmith @mikho they're under $5/year and have a shared IPv4 you can use to ssh in, and then IPv6 out from there.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • axxessaxxess Member
    edited February 2019

@dahartigan can you link or pm any good providers ?
    edit: just saw you tagged!

• technically any vps on the internet can do this. It is cheaper through a nat vps but it just causes more confusion calling a vps a jumphost when it is basic routing.

• @dahartigan thnx!

@smile said:
    technically any vps on the internet can do this. It is cheaper through a nat vps but it just causes more confusion calling a vps a jumphost when it is basic routing.

I disagree! By stating my goal with the VPS it makes it easy for the provider to make a deal. Also for ex. a IPv6 only VPS and/or low bandwidth vps wont suffice. Jumphost refers to the purpose and not the delivery model.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited February 2019

@smile said:
    technically any vps on the internet can do this. It is cheaper through a nat vps but it just causes more confusion calling a vps a jumphost when it is basic routing.

You're just being pedantic. A jump host or a jump box is exactly what this is. It's being able to connect to one machine on whatever network you're connected to, and then "jump" networks from there. The only person confused in this thread seems to be you.. just sayin' :)

@axxess said:
    @dahartigan thnx!

No worries :)

I disagree! By stating my goal with the VPS it makes it easy for the provider to make a deal. Also for ex. a IPv6 only VPS and/or low bandwidth vps wont suffice. Jumphost refers to the purpose and not the delivery model.

I personally use a Sydney NAT from mrvm (closest geographically to me) so I can connect to my IPv6-only servers. I even call it my jump box.. lol

• @dahartigan said:

@smile said:

You're just being pedantic. A jump host or a jump box is exactly what this is. It's being able to connect to one machine on whatever network you're connected to, and then "jump" networks from there. The only person confused in this thread seems to be you.. just sayin' :)

what's wrong with being pedant? A vps can definately be used as a jumphost. You don't need to specifically refer a vps to a jumphost and no; it's not necessary to specifically refer to a vps as a jumphost.

• axxessaxxess Member
    edited February 2019

@smile said:

@dahartigan said:

@smile said:

what's wrong with being pedant? A vps can definately be used as a jumphost. You don't need to specifically refer a vps to a jumphost and no; it's not necessary to specifically refer to a vps as a jumphost.

Indeed, there is no need to refer to a vps as jumphost, what I need is a VPS (or host) matching my goal so for the process go smoothly I need to make it easy for the provider.

• I have to say, when OP said Jumphost I knew exactly what he/she was looking for straight away.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @austenite said:
    I have to say, when OP said Jumphost I knew exactly what he/she was looking for straight away.

Yes. It's shocking you don't offer it at all on LET?

• austeniteaustenite Member
    edited February 2019

@smile said:

Irrelevant. I didn't say we offered it, just surprised by your reaction to what was a pretty basic request.

• @austenite said:

@smile said:

Irrelevant. I didn't say we offered it, just surprised by your reaction to what was a pretty basic request.

ironically it is relevant with providers like you

Thanked by 1austenite
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2019

This is a good option right now.

All the jumphosts/ whitelisted-ip hosts I'm using are heavily discounted black Friday /cyber Monday promos from established stable providers, who have normal(profit positive) prices year-round.

• ultravps.eu
    • Liteserver
    • InceptionHosting
    • Leaseweb
    • AlphaVPS

It makes sense for me because I intend to hold on to them for long multi-year stretches.
    Another way to go is pick up a high storage KVM vps if OP has storage needs as well.

Hosthatch and alphavps(user AlexBarakov) have decent 1TB plans. hosthatch has a $35/yr 750GB kvm too (nforce DC in Amsterdam and DC in Stockholm)

Or you Could try your luck with the $20/yr buyvm stock lottery in Luxembourg.