Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared hosting webmail or zoho mail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared hosting webmail or zoho mail

I have been using Roundcube Webmail provided free by my shared hosting. Have 3 mailboxes in webmail among which [email protected] is used for admin mails, [email protected] is used to receive/reply emails from contact form on the website and [email protected] is used for sending out occasional email campaigns to subscribers using Email Marketing Software (Mailigen).

Recently, read that we should host email services on third party instead of using shared hosting service. Though I have never faced any problem using webmail, should I move the email service to free provider like Zoho mail or Yandex mail? Since Zoho mail stopped IMAP/POP3 to free accounts, do I need IMAP or can I use Zoho mail's free webmail or use Yandex mail or stay with shared hosting webmail?

Also, when I reply to emails or send emails to subscribers, are emails sent using shared hosting ip (or Cloudflare ip) or Mailigen's ip?

Thanks.

Comments

• You could run your own mail server also.

• None. Choose mxroute.com. Why get your hands dirty when you can relax, have a beer, and let professionals do their thing?

Thanked by 2eol jar
  • @default said:
    None. Choose mxroute.com. Why get your hands dirty when you can relax, have a beer, and let professionals do their thing?

Since, only few emails are sent occasionally, do not need paid ones right now. So will stay with free option for now, either with the current shared hosting webmail or zoho/yandex mail.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

If you don't have issues with Putin reading and sharing your mail with the whole FSB, Yandex Mail "just works". If you're sending just some spam transactional/marketing mails I'd suggest to use something like mailgun/sendinblue/sendgrid for that

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2019

Sounds to me like you’re happy with what you’re using. Don’t let others talk you into fixing what ain’t broken :)

That’s how you end up spending way more time than you intended on something that you weren’t that interested in to begin with.

Thanked by 2ricardo Ympker
  • Stay with your current shared hosting provider if it's from a reputable company.

• jar said: Sounds to me like you’re happy with what you’re using. Don’t let others talk you into fixing what ain’t broken :)

Same as what I was thinking. Unless you're doing volume, the current setup sounds fine. If It's a decent host with many small white hat sites, the shared IP will have decent reputation.

If what you're doing is somehow mission critical, move away from shared hosting anyways.

The 3rd party services are good for volume and ensuring inboxing. You pay a bit more but that essentially pays for all the ground work they do.

Thanked by 1jar
  • mfs said: If you don't have issues with Putin reading and sharing your mail with the whole FSB

A similar issue will exist in most jurisdictions, isn't it?

ricardo said: The 3rd party services are good for volume and ensuring inboxing.

Valid if you go with good quality providers (aka not the cheapest).

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

datanoise said: A similar issue will exist in most jurisdictions, isn't it?

It could be argued that EU provisions are way more protective than Russian ones; eventually it always boil down to a convenience/privacy trade off. Most people (especially small entrepreneurs and young freelancers) won't really care if Putin or Trump or Merkel are reading their mails, as long as their inbox Just Works® (even better if it works for 0€/mo); and someone could argue that there's no privacy in emails anyway.
    On the other end of spectrum, there are people willing to spend a few bucks to have the assurance their inbox is GDPR compliant and their data is never sold or inspected or used for marketing purposes. Then they're sending unencrypted mails to google/yahoo/NSA-approved inboxes, making the whole gimmick quite a fugazi

What matters in the end is deliverability, that's all. Since OP is running some email campaigns as well, a dedicated tool (that may come in for free as well..) could be considered for those

Thanked by 2eol datanoise
  • Hello, everything just works and I don't have a problem. Please help me fix what works for me, but keep in mind I don't have budget for paid services.

Thanked by 2eol angstrom
  • Zoho have stopped allowing access to IMAP & POPfor NEW free accounts. They still honor grandfathered accounts. Hence I migrated to MX Route for all but 1 domain now.

• @apidevlab said:
    Zoho have stopped allowing access to IMAP & POPfor NEW free accounts. They still honor grandfathered accounts. Hence I migrated to MX Route for all but 1 domain now.

Are you enjoying mxroute? Does their spam filter can come close to gmail's? Because i receive a ton of those ads with enlargement and other things.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

LTniger said: Does their spam filter can come close to gmail's?

Not even close, but you can customize the filter in cPanel under Spam Filters. Setting a lower score and marking deletion will cut out more spam. Of course, the lower you go the higher the risk of false positives.

Most users communicated a preference to receive more spam than risk false positives, so I keep global reject values fairly high.

• Never change a running system.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Ympker said:
    Never change a running system.

Yes.
    Don't update.
    Don't upgrade.
    It is dangerous!

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @jar said:

Not even close, but you can customize the filter in cPanel under Spam Filters. Setting a lower score and marking deletion will cut out more spam. Of course, the lower you go the higher the risk of false positives.

Most users communicated a preference to receive more spam than risk false positives, so I keep global reject values fairly high.

Im using @mailcheap and Im very satisfied. Just today they announced a new Spam related new feature and improvement:

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited February 2019

Spam filtering I do like Gmail, Dose anyone know if Yandex is anygood.

• Try mxroute ( @jar ) deals https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?gid=3 , preblackfriday 2018 is very cheap ($10/year) and support multiple domain

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • @kidrock said:
    I have been using Roundcube Webmail provided free by my shared hosting...... I have never faced any problem using webmail.......

Don't fix what's not broken. Just Don't. Please Don't. By all means Don't.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:

@apidevlab said:
    Zoho have stopped allowing access to IMAP & POPfor NEW free accounts. They still honor grandfathered accounts. Hence I migrated to MX Route for all but 1 domain now.

Are you enjoying mxroute? Does their spam filter can come close to gmail's? Because i receive a ton of those ads with enlargement and other things.

There is no way to compare the gmail filter, with any other provider here.

• MXROUTE will take care of you

• LTniger said: Are you enjoying mxroute? Does their spam filter can come close to gmail's? Because i receive a ton of those ads with enlargement and other things.

While I prefer not to get tons of spam into my mailbox, on the other hand, I also prefer to have some control over what is spam and what is not and in any case to have the choise to review a message or a sender.
    With gmail (and even more with MS mail) there are more and more cases that they ban whole ip ranges or individual domains, if they don't get the score in their system to whitelist the domain.
    I have faced issues with my mailserver that was banned from MS mail for no obvious strong reasons. If I was a mail receiver, I would like to have the option to determine if the domain I am waiting some mails, is really a spam domain or not. Not being received at all (not going to spa foler) without having a malicious code in it, is way to much contrl over my mail.

TL;DR I prefer @jar ;s solution (configure the spamassassign score) instead not to have any control at all.

• kidrock said: Since, only few emails are sent occasionally, do not need paid ones right now. So will stay with free option for now, either with the current shared hosting webmail or zoho/yandex mail.

Stay with your solution, dont mess things that are working. The only thing I would suggest to you, if you can, is to frequently backup your mail server (if you are familiar with, grab a couple of dirty cheap vps and imapsync your accounts there just to be on a safe place if anything happens)

• @jar said:

Don't sell the service short @jar . Since you added the SpamCop filters, I'm really not getting spam at all. It's become a bit of a hobby to check the Track Delivery function and see how little of the spam sent my way is reaching me.

Thanked by 1jar