Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free VPS Request for Described Project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free VPS Request for Described Project

I'd like to self teach and gain experience with data networks and related technologies. My end goal is, a while down the road, to contribute alternatives to existing concepts that exist for internet governance (such as address and domain allocation, certificate authorities, and "cloud computing" which blurs jurisdictional lines.)

Right now I'm exploring the potential of a vote-based DNS system.

To continue on that particular topic, I'd like to run a DNS server and top level domain for the group OpenNIC, who run a set of alternative root servers which provide access to both ICANN top level domains and a few OpenNIC ones.

They want operators to have a static IP address and a stable uptime, with a day's notice for planned outages. They also want TLD operators to have a website at www.opennic.TLD to provide registration and/or information about the TLD and OpenNIC, and to be able to reach the operator by email at [email protected] and [email protected].

So I'm looking for a free VPS that can provide me with a static IPv4 address, enough transit and bandwidth to operate the DNS, HTTP, and mail servers (if outgoing mail is a problem, that's fine- all they request to be able to reach me), plus a fair amount of certainty the provider will be around for a while. An additional IPv6 address and access to reverse DNS for addresses would be plusses.

Is anyone interested in sponsoring my project by offering me a free VPS? If so, are you interested in discussing expanding any service you offer later in the future if a desire arises? Do you have infrastructure to prevent a DNS server from unwittingly being part of amplification attacks, and either way are you willing to allow me to attempt to solve the problem should they occur?

Comments

• You've got a good username tbh.

Thanked by 1JacksonVile
  • @Zen said:
    FYI configuring your DNS server against amp attacks should be done on your side, not on the host node side.

Agreed, I just want to ensure that the relationship between myself and the provider won't cease after an attack, and that they'll instead (if they notice before me) simply null route the server until I deal with it.

• JacksonVileJacksonVile Member
    edited October 2013

@Zen said:
    Nice to you know you're thinking ahead :)

I've been hanging out with folks from OpenNIC for long enough to see a little of what they do :D

• I may be interested. Toss me a message.

• @Tsume said:
    I may be interested. Toss me a message.

Sure thing, I'll talk to you tomorrow.

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

Hi JacksonVile,

If You still need the VPS, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
    Andras@XetHost