Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any interest in IPv6 only KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any interest in IPv6 only KVM

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Would you get one?

RAM 256-512mb, disk around 5-10gb

What would you expect to buy for such a service?

Thanked by 1uptime
Would you buy an IPv6 only KVM?
  1. Would you buy an IPv6 only KVM?78 votes
    1. Yes
      64.10%
    2. No
      35.90%

Comments

• What sort of location are you thinking of. Would pay €5-€15/y

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@TheRealDeal said:
    What sort of location are you thinking of. Would pay €5-€15/y

One or many of the locations I have today.

• TheRealDealTheRealDeal Member
    edited February 2019

Yeah I would be interested in one. If in Norway or Bulgaria.

• Would it include NAT IPv4?

@solaire said:
    Would it include NAT IPv4?

Ipv6 only!?

I might include a port forward for ssh from ipv4.
    You would have to setup your own 6to4 gateway.

• Would be interested if located in NL (or close to)

edited February 2019

@Tripleflix said:
    Would be interested if located in NL (or close to)

Current locations I have (no KVM yet) is DE and FR.

• @mikho said:
    Ipv6 only!?

I read that, just wanted to clarify as it was kinda left open to interpretation imo.

My vote goes to no, simply because IPv6 only boxes are not worth it to me having no (native) IPv4 connectivity. Firstly because I don't have IPv6 at home, and secondly because my main purpose of this small boxes is monitoring / VPN which both won't play nice without native IPv4 connectivity.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

interested ... but I'm scratching my head trying to come up with much in the way of obvious use cases.

Be that as it may ... bundle pricing would encourage ipv6 idling at scale.

EDIT2:

"Do you want ipv6 kvm skynets? Because this is how you get ipv6 kvm skynets!"

As for pricing ... once you get up to $20 or 20€ yearly there's already plenty of options that offer ipv4 too.

Vultr has an ipv6-only 512 mb kvm for $2.50 per month - which would be $30 per year.

(But the $0.004 hourly billing option seems to make the most sense for that one, for me at least)

Anyway ... putting all that together, and making up more numbers as convenient, I have derived certain price anchors.

$11. I'm feeling lucky. Daddy needs a new ipv6-only kvm. (256mb)

$14. For the big spender. That's 2 times $7. Twice the fun. And then some? (512 mb)

$20 bundle: Three locations for the 256 mb

$30 bundle: Three of the 512 mb

Something like that?

Thanked by 1mikho
  • @mikho - just to clarify this is not NAT IPv4 + Native IPv6 KVM - correct?

I'll probably vote no as well. At a minimum, at least one port for inward SSH via IPv4 would be required for me to even consider such an offering.

Out of curiousity - why the no NAT IPv4 even?

• TripleflixTripleflix Member
    edited February 2019

@mikho said:

@Tripleflix said:

Where exactly? also have boxes in both countries..

Edit: found out myself; Falkenstein and Reims

@nullnothere said:
    @mikho - just to clarify this is not NAT IPv4 + Native IPv6 KVM - correct?

I'll probably vote no as well. At a minimum, at least one port for inward SSH via IPv4 would be required for me to even consider such an offering.

Out of curiousity - why the no NAT IPv4 even?

One incomming port for ssh is considered.
    Reason for no outgoing NAT ipv4 is the risk of increased amount of people using it for torrenting (abuse reports from DC) and other things that could get the ipv4 blocked/abused.

@Tripleflix said:

@mikho said:

@Tripleflix said:

Where exactly? also have boxes in both countries..

Edit: found out myself; Falkenstein and Reims

I currently have boxes in Falkenstein (DE) and Reins (FR).

Hetzner and Ikoula

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2019

mikho said: You would have to setup your own 6to4 gateway.

6to4 is a specific technology (not applicable in this case), not a shorthand for anything that would translate IPv6 to IPv4.

What you could use for outgoing access to IPv4 internet from an IPv6-only VPS, is called NAT64.

Thanked by 2ehab uptime

@rm_ said:

mikho said: You would have to setup your own 6to4 gateway.

6to4 is a specific technology (not applicable in this case), not a shorthand for anything that would translate IPv6 to IPv4.

What you could use for outgoing access to IPv4 internet from an IPv6-only VPS, is called NAT64.

Yeah, thanks for clarifying. I used the first thing that came to my mind while waiting for my lunch to finish.

• I suppose the usage case for this would be for private monitoring services and the like, the kind of systems you'd acquire when there's a deal. Small KVMS's crop up on promo or BF around this spec in the $10-$20 range, maybe not regularly, but WITH an IPv4. I could easily run a couple of mine with IPv6 only, but they'd need to be sub $10 to be attractive.

Thanked by 1uptime

@cochon said:
    I suppose the usage case for this would be for private monitoring services and the like, the kind of systems you'd acquire when there's a deal. Small KVMS's crop up on promo or BF around this spec in the $10-$20 range, maybe not regularly, but WITH an IPv4. I could easily run a couple of mine with IPv6 only, but they'd need to be sub $10 to be attractive.

I take it you are talking about the annual price? Since this is LET and all.....
    And I am not talking about selling a product at BF pricing all year round, so there is no need to use BF prices as a comparison.
    And if I would sell at BF prices all year, there wouldn't be a need for promo codes and what would I do on BF then?

I noticed this thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2871848
    and checked Vultr as they offer an ipv6 only instance.

Even though they are in the range of 512-1024MB with SSD, there is a monthly price of ~$2.50/month.

I am in no way comparing me or my company with those two companies but I used those as the base for my idea.

• I think you could use it in most scenarios that you'd need an ipv4 for, with help from some extra things like cloudflare or 6to4.

We hear all the time that ipv4 is running out and getting expensive, so without a v4 it carries an expectation that it would be a lot cheaper.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Not from my side.
    I've grown up with IPv4 and I expect my machines to natively support it.
    I might wait for IPv8 though.

• I mean I would only consider it at the right price. €5-€15 is my range but I would expect a lot lower. Considering I can get a yearly KVM with IPv4 and IPv6 for like €13.

• I think it would be interesting if ssh ipv4 nat is supported. Many people don't have ipv6 at home. Outgoing there is cloudflare 6to4 for webhosting but for incoming it'd be important.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • just figured out; you can get a 1-XS at scaleway, delete the IPv4 and pay 1euro per month for an ipv6 only box...

so you have to beat that in either price or spec...

Thanked by 1default

@Tripleflix said:
    just figured out; you can get a 1-XS at scaleway, delete the IPv4 and pay 1euro per month for an ipv6 only box...

so you have to beat that in either price or spec...

or location ......

€1 month == €12/year, I could probably live with that.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I would preferrably say yes for the sake of LET initial purpose. Please be kind with pricing.

• @LowMan said:
    I would preferrably say yes for the sake of LET initial purpose. Please be kind with pricing.

Don't necropost

Thanked by 3vyas11 ITLabs skorous
  • @angstrom said:

@LowMan said:
    I would preferrably say yes for the sake of LET initial purpose. Please be kind with pricing.

Don’t necropost

For those who came in late...

• Apology for this matter.
    Please kindly close this old post so no one could post again in it.> @angstrom said:

@LowMan said:

Don't necropost