Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Alternatives in North America with 100+ TB Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Alternatives in North America with 100+ TB Storage

I know it’s going to be basically impossible to beat OVH on price/performance ratio but I’m looking for any viable alternatives in North America with large amounts of storage after this fiasco with my new server I ordered in December and still haven’t received has soured my relationship with OVH.

I’ve got a pretty high budget (900-1000/month) but I also need a very large amount of storage (100+ TB). Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Comments

• I seem to remember ioflood offering dedicated servers with insane storage, but I don't recall the location. Might be worth looking at to get your search started perhaps?

• @dahartigan said:
    I seem to remember ioflood offering dedicated servers with insane storage, but I don't recall the location. Might be worth looking at to get your search started perhaps?

Looks like 8 x 3 TB is their largest storage config.

• dahartigan said: but I don't recall the location

Phoenix, AZ.

• Good luck with your fsck.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2019

How about BuyVM slab? You can attach 10TB for each block, maximum 10 blocks per server*. 100TB = $500, plus the highest plan of BuyVM $120, sum up to $620/m

CPU: 8 Cores @ 3.50+ GHz
    RAM: 32 GB
    SSD: 640 GB
    Bandwidth: Unmetered @ 1Gbps

EDIT: See below for maximum number of blocks per server, @Francisco is the man for BuyVM.

Thanked by 2Francisco Ympker
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

FAT32 said: How about BuyVM slab? You can attach 10TB for each block, maximum 10 blocks per server. 100TB = $500, plus the highest plan of BuyVM $120, sum up to $620/m

Why thank you :)

Francisco

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I think I am wrong on this one, is it maximum 8 blocks per server or 10 blocks per server?

• Hetzner BX60 storage box 10TB/€39.90/$45.49.

Thanked by 1dedimark
  • @eol said:
    Hetzner BX60 storage box 10TB/€39.90/$45.49.

love you.

H.

Thanked by 1eol
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FAT32 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I think I am wrong on this one, is it maximum 8 blocks per server or 10 blocks per server?

It's 8, but it can be increased.

Francisco

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • Fran's the man

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Mdraid0 those blocks

• Not directly related, yet.
    5*$10 For Google suite/ Month (For 5 user to make it unlimited).

Even though it says unlimited*
    I heard it start throttling after 100-150TB.

• The man has the coin, it’d be stupid to go the Google drive route. I only have a few TB on mine but expect it to be shut down or hampered at any stage

Thanked by 2MikeIn imok
  • what about a s3 cloud provider like wasabi? they have a direct connect option.@$5 per TB
    then have a ovh server to manage? not knowing what you use it for so not sure if its usable?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@SprkFade said:
    I know it’s going to be basically impossible to beat OVH on price/performance ratio but I’m looking for any viable alternatives in North America with large amounts of storage after this fiasco with my new server I ordered in December and still haven’t received has soured my relationship with OVH.

I’ve got a pretty high budget (900-1000/month) but I also need a very large amount of storage (100+ TB). Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Unfortunately your request is a bit unclear. all storage with one server or spread over up to ? servers? Only mild storage server performance/memory needed or for a busy DB? Also very important in terms of cost: how much traffic/mo?

Generally speaking I think you shouldn't have a problem. Just identify a couple of providers that meet your specs (as providers), things like min. x years in business, min. x00 GB backbone, desired SLA, etc. and then ask them. I guess most of them will be happy to provide the kind of box(es) you need, and depending on reasonable requirements (50 TB/mo will obviously not be a problem but 5000 TB/mo probably are) there should be no problem with your budget.

Your disk requirement is in fact not ginormous; that fits in a 2HU server using 10+ TB drives. Your server power and your traffic requirements however might make or break a deal.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

This will most probably be a custom deal. Reach out to companies like Hivelocity, QuadraNet, DataPacket and see what they offer.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I won't post any foreshadowing in this guy's thread.

I made him suffer enough.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Usually, buy a few cheap storage servers, gluster it together.
    Will work in the most cases, no idea how many I/O operations you do per minute.

If they booth have 1Gbit or even 10Gbit between them, should be fine.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • This wouldn't be a problem to pull 100tb off one of our SAN(s) to any server in our fleet.

Sent a PM :) #notlowendsolution

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

SprkFade said: Looks like 8 x 3 TB is their largest storage config.

They can go larger, just open a ticket FAO: Gabe

• @Neoon said:
    Usually, buy a few cheap storage servers, gluster it together.
    Will work in the most cases, no idea how many I/O operations you do per minute.

If they booth have 1Gbit or even 10Gbit between them, should be fine.

How exactly does gluster work? Looks like I might need to read up on that. I’ve heard a few people mention it in other threads too.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Just buy all the gear and colo it someplace trustworthy. You'll get ROI within 6-months if you go that route. Server costs will probably be around the $5k mark (mainly due to HDD prices), but then you can pay $100-200/mo to have it colo'd someplace nice, rather than 10x's that amount for gear you don't own. Something to consider, at least.

In my opinion, high storage servers aren't worth renting if you're in it for the long game.

• Just buy all the gear and colo it someplace trustworthy. You'll get ROI within 6-months

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thanked by 4MasonR eol Letzien Falzo

@uptime said:

Just buy all the gear and colo it someplace trustworthy. You'll get ROI within 6-months

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

You've been subscribed to the 365NAP newsletter! Sign up for colo services at our Tier-1 Houston DataCenter and you'll get your first three months for free! Use promo code PROUTISOUT for free remote scams hands!

Thanked by 3uptime eol t0m
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

what could possibly go wrong?

EDIT2:

Wondering how the cost calculation might reflect risks such as equipment failure / acts of prout, etc

plus whatever to account for research / setup time. Maybe a (possibly substantial) bit more for ongoing upkeep if remote hands - or long trips to the dc - are part of that equation.

still ... interesting to consider.

Thanked by 1MasonR
    edited February 2019

@uptime said: Wondering how the cost calculation might reflect risks such as equipment failure / acts of prout, etc

That's definitely something that one should consider. Also another reason why picking a really good provider to colo with would be extremely important. Many providers will offer free remote hands for simple hot-swap drives if you get the new drive sent to them.

Might be worth the assumption of risk, though, to be saving $800 bucks a month. I doubt any in-person trips would be necessary. I wouldn't imagine you'd spend more than $500/yr on remote hands for misc. tasks and possibly another $500/yr on equipment repairs.

But then again, big budgets typically mean they are willing to just throw money at the wall so they don't have to deal with all the research/ordering/repairs. All depends if the OP is looking for a cheap and reliable solution or an expensive and painless solution.

• I feel like it comes down to knowing whether or not you know what you're doing (or not).

As far as putting up a 100 tb server, getting the net connect and power dialed in.

... Maybe it's easy once you know how. (Never as easy as it should be, I imagine.)

But that know-how could cost a bit to acquire, one way or another. (I'd like to say it's a good investment.)

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2019

Perspective cost of two SX132 in Helsinki for three years = 3(2(169+(159 * 12))) = 12462 € (~4k €/year) 2(169+3(12 * 159)) = 11786 € (~3.9k €/year, could be rounded up to 4k to include some extra beer in your budget :smile: )
    For a grand-total of 200TB of storage raw, 180 TB usable if you're using RAID5 (90 TB with replica?)
    Free hard drive replacements

It's true that Helsinki isn't in Northern America, OTOH one could add a caching server on Psychz or something if that's an issue; you'd still save rather than doing the whole thing in NA I'd guess

• two SX132 in Helsinki for three years = 3(2(169+(159*12))) = 12462 € (~4k €/year)

2(169+3(12*159)) = 11786

hey, found some beer money in between the sofa cushions :)

Thanked by 3mfs eol MasonR