Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USA/CAN - Dedicated i7/E3 with IGPU/NVME - $100 USD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

USA/CAN - Dedicated i7/E3 with IGPU/NVME - $100 USD

StokkesStokkes Member
edited February 2019 in Requests

Hello,

Looking for a box in USA/Canada with the following specs for around $100/month USD, paid montly:

CPU: i7-6700/7700/8700/9700 or E3-1275 (as long as it has integrated GPU)
RAM: 64GB preferred, but could do 32GB if this brings costs down.
Disk: 2x450/480/500 NVME or 1x960/1TB NVME. If 2 disks, I would need to do software RAID-0.
Network: 1Gbit (could possibly do with 512mbit if I have to)
Transfer: about 20-30TB per month, although I'm usually around 11-15.

Network should have good peering to Canada where I'm located.

As a comparison, I currently use a Hetzner EX61-NVME which is starting to give me issues with peering to Canada, so the specs above are similar to that. That server costs me about $100 CAD/month but I can bump the budget a bit to about $100 USD (~130-140 CAD). Beyond specs, the network has to be good and reliable.

Thanks all!

Thanked by 1eol

Comments

• @Stokkes said:
    Thanks all!

Thank you, too.

• Stokkes said: Hetzner EX61-NVME which is starting to give me issues with peering to Canada

What exactly is your issue? Too much latency? Slow network at times?

• @datanoise said:

Stokkes said: Hetzner EX61-NVME which is starting to give me issues with peering to Canada

What exactly is your issue? Too much latency? Slow network at times?

It's used primarily as a Plex/Emby server, as well as a few other services. Getting buffering/stuttering. Tried to use Cloudflare CDN, but the network seems to have been oversubscribed over at Hetzner in recent months since they've removed the BW caps.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Thanks. And it's not better when using CF?

• Nope

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Perhaps this might work -

OVH GAME-2 @ BHS

i7-7700k (overclocked) / 64GB RAM / 2x450GB NVMe / unlim @ 250mbps up + 1g down @ $99/mo

Only downside is the 250 Mbps upload limitation. But with OVH doubling upload caps soon (hopefully), that won't be an issue much longer. You won't have an issue maxing out that upload link to anywhere in CA/US. Same config also available in Vint Hill, VA should you rather have it in the States for some reason.

• I'm familiar with the GAME-2 server..

What isn't clear is OVH's UP/DOWN difference.. It just says 250mbit. Is there anywhere that breaks down that it's 1gbit down and 250mbit up? If thats the case, then yes it may work as the BHS DC is very close to where I live (within a hundred miles)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Stokkes said:
    I'm familiar with the GAME-2 server..

What isn't clear is OVH's UP/DOWN difference.. It just says 250mbit. Is there anywhere that breaks down that it's 1gbit down and 250mbit up? If thats the case, then yes it may work as the BHS DC is very close to where I live (within a hundred miles)

It's 250Mbps guaranteed either way. You can get 1Gbps in some circumstances, but don't expect it.

Also I don't believe the U.S. branch has any plans to increase from 250Mbps like the others do, just keep in mind.

• I'm confused by @MasonR 's comment of 250mbit/1gbit.. If it's 1gibt down and 250mbit up, that should do for Plex, but if it's 250/250 then that's not sufficient for the other services I need.

So anyone know what it is really? 250/1 or 250/250?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

More of a 250mbps guaranteed with 1gig burst for the download speeds as @MikeA mentioned.

• Yeah but burst only covers 5% of the month, which I think averages out to about 6 hours a month total.. That's not much.

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

@Stokkes
    We can offer you our servers in Toronto:
    E3-1275v6, 32GB, 2x400GB SSD or 1x1.6TB SSD, IPMI, 200M Unmetered - $99/mo.
    No setup fees. Month to month. Please PM me.
    https://gthost.com/toronto-dedicated-servers/

You can check ping and traceroute: https://gthost.com/looking-glass/

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@GTHost said:
    200M Unmetered

Is that a locked 200Mbps port or 200Mbps on a Gigabit port (room to burst)?

@Harambe
    yes, it is cupped 200M. Clients can buy extra bandwidth at any time. (300M-1G)

• @GTHost what's the price for 1Gbit? Is metered an option to save some money?

The server specs are good, but 200mbit won't cut it I'm afraid. I'd prefer NVMe too, but would be willing to try this one.

1G unmetered, unshared +$299/mo

• Ouch.. I will have to pass on that deal I'm afraid. Thank you for responding however.