Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best deal on Storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best deal on Storage VPS

Hello, what's the absolute best deal out there for a storage VPS right now?

a European provider would be best. Shared IP is fine. It needs 1 to 2TB storage and hopefully something like 5TB of bandwidth per month.

I'm just using it as a private dropbox for my file backups.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1Francisco

Comments

• Take a Slab
    @Francisco

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @ascicode said:
    Take a Slab
    @Francisco

I really like the idea of Slabs but I don't understand how they work! I'm not a complete newbie, I've used linux/unix for years, I just don't get the "slab" concept. if someone can point me in the right direction I can figure it out!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@p50 said:

@ascicode said:
    Take a Slab
    @Francisco

I really like the idea of Slabs but I don't understand how they work! I'm not a complete newbie, I've used linux/unix for years, I just don't get the "slab" concept. if someone can point me in the right direction I can figure it out!

To the VPS it looks like a normal block-device, i.e. like a normal HDD. You'll see it in /dev/

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @FHR said:

@p50 said:

@ascicode said:
    Take a Slab
    @Francisco

To the VPS it looks like a normal block-device, i.e. like a normal HDD. You'll see it in /dev/

Can you use LVM to software raid 0 or 1 them just like any other block device? That could be handy..

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

p50 said: I really like the idea of Slabs but I don't understand how they work! I'm not a complete newbie, I've used linux/unix for years, I just don't get the "slab" concept. if someone can point me in the right direction I can figure it out!

Slabs are just portable storage volumes that you can move between servers in the same location.

You don't need to move it, you can hook it to a single VPS and leave it there.

To the VPS, it appears as /dev/sda or similar.

Francisco

@dahartigan said:
    Can you use LVM to software raid 0 or 1 them just like any other block device? That could be handy..

It's a block device, you can do whatever you want.

You can RAID it, LVM it, write a script to write to it at the block level, whatever.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Francisco said:

@dahartigan said:

It's a block device, you can do whatever you want.

You can RAID it, LVM it, write a script to write to it at the block level, whatever.

Francisco

Thanks for that, you stallion of a man :)

Thanked by 2Francisco eol
  • Hey guys, thanks for the very cool info about Slabs, I'm planning to sign up right away. Are there docs available somewhere for how to configure them? Really appreciate all of your help + info. Cool stuff.

@p50 said:
    Hey guys, thanks for the very cool info about Slabs, I'm planning to sign up right away. Are there docs available somewhere for how to configure them? Really appreciate all of your help + info. Cool stuff.

The panel is simple enough, but the actual partitioning/formatting is just your standard stuff. I'll see about adding a format option to the panel.

If you need help, ticket, we'll do it for you.

Francisco

• well, apparently all of the KVM slice servers are out of stock in the las vegas facility so, the slab is looking like less of a viable option at this point..

p50 said: well, apparently all of the KVM slice servers are out of stock in the las vegas facility so, the slab is looking like less of a viable option at this point..

What plan are you after? A 512/1G?

Francisco

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

no one @LeonDynamic mentioned HostHatch.

Lol.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155540/1-gb-ram-10-gb-nvme-1-tb-bandwidth-2-5-mo-la-ny-oslo-vienna

current discount == best price for the quality as far as I've seen anywhere lately.

I've been using their storage in Amsterdam, Stockholm, and Los Angeles for over a year.

Fast disk and network have made me a fan.

EDIT2:

for more storage in Europe (specifically, Germany) also might check CrownCloud, ultraVPS.eu, and ... yes, Hetzner

EDIT3: when BuyVM slabs arrive in Luxembourg, that will be a pretty nice deal too I think.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Please check KVM NAT Storage package here - https://www.wishosting.com

You can get a free upgrade to 1.8TB disk if you open a support ticket and mention you are referred from this topic.

• @exception0x876 said:
    Please check KVM NAT Storage package here - https://www.wishosting.com

You can get a free upgrade to 1.8TB disk if you open a support ticket and mention you are referred from this topic.

Holy crap that's the best offer I've seen in a while!

• A 'dropbox' implies you need dedicated IPv4 most likely.

AlphaVPS (check @alexbarakov CyberMonday thread for mention of a flash sale KVM ) has 1TB, 2g ram, 2Vcpu,but only 3TB premium bandwidth for 5euro/month.

I would go with either Hosthatch or AlphaVPS depending on whether you're ok with yearly payment or no.

• @Francisco said:

p50 said: well, apparently all of the KVM slice servers are out of stock in the las vegas facility so, the slab is looking like less of a viable option at this point..

What plan are you after? A 512/1G?

Francisco

Hi Fran, do you provide custom plan like 2 cores 4G ram? I want to move from Vultr but need an equivalent plan to run a website. Its peak is just 0.2 loads on $40 Vultr so I want to downgrade the spec.

@banxix said:
    Hi Fran, do you provide custom plan like 2 cores 4G ram? I want to move from Vultr but need an equivalent plan to run a website. Its peak is just 0.2 loads on $40 Vultr so I want to downgrade the spec.

If you're running 0.2 peaks, then a single core is just fine.

I don't do custom plans like that, sorry :(

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@banxix said:

If you're running 0.2 peaks, then a single core is just fine.

I don't do custom plans like that, sorry :(

Francisco

Sad to hear. I know single core would handle just fine but I don't want it to be so tight. 2 cores plan seems a bargain for me though, definitely using it in future.

Thank you for your great service.