Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use Amazon SES for free
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use Amazon SES for free

sleddogsleddog Member
edited February 2019 in General

"With Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES), you pay only for what you use. There are no subscriptions, no contract negotiations, and no minimum charges."

Not true! I'm using it for free! How, you ask? By utilizing the power of arithmetic rounding, that how!

Amazon SES pricing: $0.10 for every 1,000 emails you send.

100 emails = $0.01
51 emails = $0.01
49 emails = $0.00

And there you have it... never send more than 49 emails per billing period (month) and you can use Amazon SES for free!

Thank this post if you think it's totally useless awesome.

TGIF!

Comments

• Liked.

• $0.10 for every 1,000 emails you send.

that is not bad at all... Thanks-

• Gee, that's 49 more friends than I have!

Being Amazon, though, they'll find a way to charge you. Speaking of, time to cancel the free prime. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanked by 2t0m sleddog
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Psst: if you are sending mails from within AWS infra (e.g. EC2), you get 62k emails per month for free. Also, AWS won't charge your CC for spending under $0.2-ish.

• @Letzien said:
    Gee, that's 49 more friends than I have!

Being Amazon, though, they'll find a way to charge you. Speaking of, time to cancel the free prime. Thanks for reminding me.

You're welcome...

This was a tongue-in-cheek post intended for the I-want-everything-for-free crowd here, inspired by the fact that my SES account has sent 20-40 emails/month for the past 3 months without any billing :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @sleddog said:
    Tpost intended for the I-want-everything-for-free crowd here

Well you certainly know your audience. You should show them how to build a crystal set. :D

• @Letzien said:

@sleddog said:

Well you certainly know your audience. You should show them how to build a crystal set. :D

Right. Then they'd want unlimited free radio reception.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @sleddog said:

@Letzien said:

@sleddog said:

Right. Then they'd want unlimited free radio reception.

..but only if you built it for them and gave them the wire.

Thanked by 2sleddog uptime
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

So is it because of tricks like these that I had to blacklist this piece of spamming trash on my mail server?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited February 2019

@rm_ said:
    So is it because of tricks like these that I had to blacklist this piece of spamming trash on my mail server?

It's the lowend spammers who send 1.6333 messages/day. They're wrecking the Internet for the rest of us.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • What about Mailgun? I’ve been on their free tier for years now. I think it’s 10k e-mails / month for free?

Thanked by 1Jun
  • You really don't value your time very much.

• @TimboJones said:
    You really don't value your time very much.

You've been here over a year.

• Thanks! Do you know if Amazon SES has any better chance of not landing into the depths of one's spam folders than say Godaddy?

• Not sure would be enough for what I need

• @endoffice said:
    Thanks! Do you know if Amazon SES has any better chance of not landing into the depths of one's spam folders than say Godaddy?

If your mail sent from Godaddy is spamboxed then just contact them. I'm sure they'll fix it. Right?

@spammy said:
    Not sure would be enough for what I need

You can move to the next tier: 149 mails/month for $0.01.

Thanked by 1endoffice
  • @sleddog said:

@rm_ said:

It's the lowend spammers who send 1.6333 messages/day. They're wrecking the Internet for the rest of us.

Wait until someone scripts 666 gazillion accounts ...

Thanked by 1eol
  • What about this?

Outgoing data charges

You pay $0.12 per gigabyte (GB) of data in the messages you send. This data includes headers, message content (including text and images), and attachments.

Outgoing data charges are not eligible for the AWS Free Usage Tier. You pay outgoing data charges regardless of whether you send email from an application hosted in EC2 or from an application hosted elsewhere.

• Pretty sure mail gun free tier much better than this.

• uptime said: Wait until someone scripts 666 gazillion accounts ...

New accounts are sandboxed until you submit a request to get out of the sandbox. It's a manual process.

alilet said: Outgoing data charges

You pay $0.12 per gigabyte (GB) of data in the messages you send. This data includes headers, message content (including text and images), and attachments.

For 49 small text messages that also is rounded to 0.

yokowasis said: Pretty sure mail gun free tier much better than this.

Better as is "more for free" or "better deliverability"?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @sleddog said:

uptime said: Wait until someone scripts 666 gazillion accounts ...

New accounts are sandboxed until you submit a request to get out of the sandbox. It's a manual process.

alilet said: Outgoing data charges

For 49 small text messages that also is rounded to 0.

yokowasis said: Pretty sure mail gun free tier much better than this.

Better as is "more for free" or "better deliverability"?

More for free. Also define deliverability, do they have problem? I am using them for communication and transactional email for my client area. It works fine. At least it's more reliable than PHP mail.