Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! Router for 300-400 people, basic Router guide - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HELP! Router for 300-400 people, basic Router guide

2»

Comments

• @FHR said:

Corey said: idk how the hell you get 1 mile of cat6 installed going to different areas for $100-$150 even in the poorest countries.

Probably copper clad aluminium "cat6" cables.
    I say "cat6" because Cat5+ spec calls for pure copper without exceptions.

maybe there is a small chance that he can get it for $100-$150 for a mile of just the cable... but installed!? Are they using slave labor?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Corey said:

@FHR said:

Corey said: idk how the hell you get 1 mile of cat6 installed going to different areas for $100-$150 even in the poorest countries.

maybe there is a small chance that he can get it for $100-$150 for a mile of just the cable... but installed!? Are they using slave labor?

Ah, missed the "including installation" part. Probably slave labour then - that will surely NOT include any measurements or testing.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2019

@FHR said:

@Corey said:

@FHR said:

Ah, missed the "including installation" part. Probably slave labour then - that will surely NOT include any measurements or testing.

I can just imagine what that installation would be like.... "Oops we accidentally pulled 10 meters of extra cable and winded it up in a loop here in the ceiling taking us over the distance threshold causing packet loss"..... actually nah.... they wouldn't know what any of that was, including crosstalk.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • Thanked by 1eol
  • @Clouvider said:

@FHR said:

@techhelper1 said:

@Clouvider said:
    My home network was more expensive to build and is definitely not scaled for 500 people.

How did you accomplish that?

Just running cabling to every room of a house will cost more than $1k

Aye. Especially if you want it neat.

On top of this, I require 1G WiFi in every room, there's no point to invest in anything less when deploying new gear this days.

On top of this switches with PoE and VLANs (Clearly you don't want IOT in the same VLAN as your PC, nor you want guest devices, office equipment, etc).

On top of this 100% IPv6 support is required, so no older gear due to this either.

Bill runs up easily.

What clients are you using with 3-4 spatial streams?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@FHR said:

@techhelper1 said:

@Clouvider said:
    My home network was more expensive to build and is definitely not scaled for 500 people.

How did you accomplish that?

Just running cabling to every room of a house will cost more than $1k

Aye. Especially if you want it neat.

On top of this, I require 1G WiFi in every room, there's no point to invest in anything less when deploying new gear this days.

On top of this switches with PoE and VLANs (Clearly you don't want IOT in the same VLAN as your PC, nor you want guest devices, office equipment, etc).

On top of this 100% IPv6 support is required, so no older gear due to this either.

Bill runs up easily.

What clients are you using with 3-4 spatial streams?

It’s more of what clients I will use in 2-3 years time without having to rip everything up and start from scratch + the overall bandwidth available matters to me, especially when I run backups nightly :-).

• @FHR said:

@Corey said:

@FHR said:

believe me or not, here at Bangladesh such labour gets paid about 100$/month for 10-12hrs of work (including measurement and testing) . i know its sad but its the reality here :disappointed:

and local things are rather cheap here, for example to get teeth braces it costs about 500$-700$ without insurance. and 130 credit LAW degree from Top private institute costs about 11k-12k while at public institute you can get the same degree for about 1500-2000$ usd including 4yrs of food and hostel fee. without any loan or discount.

• Thanked by 2netomx Janevski
  • edited February 2019

Corey said: The TP-Link EAP225 need POE power. You suggesting he use a POE 'brick' for that? :P

The EAP225 v2 can also use a power adapter.

idk how the hell you get 1 mile of cat6 installed going to different areas for $100-$150 even in the poorest countries.

Putting one AP in each of the four corners of a 100m square area is only 400 meters of cable (~0.25 miles), so not sure why we need 1 mile worth. Fair enough though, if the uni doesn't have a facilities or IT department on hand that does this work already then maybe use a few Ubiquiti AP-LR units for backhaul. The non-AC AP-LRs are like $25 used.

Also also, why would you be installing ebay hardware into a new deployment at a school? Is it so they have to call you back to fix it over and over again when the used hardware fails?

OP noted this install was for a fair, so not a permanent solution. That's why you can skimp and use refurb hardware for an installation that will get torn down relatively soon.

• vserversitevserversite Member, Host Rep

We only use unifi ac pro and this a very good devices.
    On Big ebents Every AP have 200-300 clients. The best is, you can deploy all configs over the unifi Controller

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @eol said:

Why would you hide a TP-Link router inside a potato? Are you trying to suggest that a potato field could one day become a bio-datacenter with extremely fast network?

Thanked by 3eol uptime fahim5001
  • @default said:

@eol said:

Why would you hide a TP-Link router inside a potato? Are you trying to suggest that a potato field could one day become a bio-datacenter with extremely fast network?

Yes and no.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Mikrotik CCR

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

see also Le Potato

(le potato image credit: https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/07/17/le-potato-development-board-review-part-1-hardware-and-accessories/)

I don't think it comes with wifi but the onboard radio on a cheap sbc is often crap, so just add a nice usb wifi dongle and ... well, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

vive la pomme de terre!

EDIT2:

armbian, thx

Thanked by 1eol
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2019

@rajprakash said:

Corey said: The TP-Link EAP225 need POE power. You suggesting he use a POE 'brick' for that? :P

The EAP225 v2 can also use a power adapter.

idk how the hell you get 1 mile of cat6 installed going to different areas for $100-$150 even in the poorest countries.

Putting one AP in each of the four corners of a 100m square area is only 400 meters of cable (~0.25 miles), so not sure why we need 1 mile worth. Fair enough though, if the uni doesn't have a facilities or IT department on hand that does this work already then maybe use a few Ubiquiti AP-LR units for backhaul. The non-AC AP-LRs are like $25 used.

Also also, why would you be installing ebay hardware into a new deployment at a school? Is it so they have to call you back to fix it over and over again when the used hardware fails?

OP noted this install was for a fair, so not a permanent solution. That's why you can skimp and use refurb hardware for an installation that will get torn down relatively soon.

Sure the square area is only 400 meters but we don't know how high these aps will be mounted or where the source of network is? Like I said before, what's stopping these $100/mo laborers (that have free cable mind you) from coiling up extra wire at each end.

In that case it is clear he will have a lot of interference everywhere, reducing the effectiveness of the AP's you suggested.

I think this is moot anyway, OP isn't going to listen and has already set his mind on a 'solution'.

• well i already said unifi products worked. and i said 1 mile cable for better understanding of units.