Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] Lightweight packages recommendations - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Request] Lightweight packages recommendations

2»

Comments

• LetzienLetzien Member
    edited February 2019

@rajprakash said:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/

The script needs a little tweaking to run on more recent Debian, but still great start.

function get_domain_name() {
        # Getting rid of the lowest part.
        domain=${1%.*}
        lowest=`expr "$domain" : '.*\.\([a-z][a-z]*\)'`
        case "$lowest" in
        com|net|org|gov|edu|co)
            domain=${domain%.*}
            ;;
        esac
        lowest=`expr "$domain" : '.*\.\([a-z][a-z]*\)'`
        [ -z "$lowest" ] && echo "$domain" || echo "$lowest"
    }

This is the weirdest way I've seen to use rev and basename and be less portable.

function get_base_domain() {
        echo ${1%.*} | sed 's,\.,|,' rev | cut -f1 -d\| | rev
    }

LOL typo missed for about a decade:

SALT=/var/lib/radom_salt

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @jsg said:

@Mark_ said:
    I am wondering if there is a list of recommended lightweight packages for Linux server to use in low end VPS solutions. For example, Nginx, Sqlite, PHP-FPM, Dropbear, ...

I would like to replace as much as possible to get the maximum performance with little ram / processing power.

• What OS?
    • If linux, do you need a "comfortable" distro (package manager, etc) like Debian or Centos or will any distro do?
    • Do you need ready to be installed packages?
    • Do you need "some scripting capability" or do you expressly need PHP?
    • Do you know how (and are you willing) to config & compile a kernel?

Yes
    Yes
    PHP and Python (for now)
    Nope (only if it is easy and safe)

:smiley:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Mark_ said:

@jsg said:

@Mark_ said:
    I am wondering if there is a list of recommended lightweight packages for Linux server to use in low end VPS solutions. For example, Nginx, Sqlite, PHP-FPM, Dropbear, ...

I would like to replace as much as possible to get the maximum performance with little ram / processing power.

• What OS?
    • If linux, do you need a "comfortable" distro (package manager, etc) like Debian or Centos or will any distro do?

Yes
    Yes
    PHP and Python (for now)

Then you'll be quite limited. Try to avoid MySql and rather use Sqlite and use one of the not monstrous web servers like cherokee. But evidently PHP plus the ugly familiy it brings along will occupy much space anyway.

Thanked by 2uptime Mark_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2019

Letzien said: I think OpenWRT 15.05 was the last one to run in 32/4, and barely.

No, 17.01 works fine. And I don't mean any special recompile, just the stock download with web interface included.

But on 18.06 there's too little space left on the flash to be usable.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @rm_ said:

Letzien said: I think OpenWRT 15.05 was the last one to run in 32/4, and barely.

No, 17.01 works fine.

Stickler: That would be LEDE, wouldn't it?

Really, though? Stock firmware with LuCI fits in 4M and 32M RAM? Can it do anything?

• @eol said:
    Lighttpd.

Nice memory leak you got there

Thanked by 1eol
  • @jsg said:

@Mark_ said:

@jsg said:

@Mark_ said:

• What OS?

Yes
    Yes
    PHP and Python (for now)

Then you'll be quite limited. Try to avoid MySql and rather use Sqlite and use one of the not monstrous web servers like cherokee. But evidently PHP plus the ugly familiy it brings along will occupy much space anyway.

Atop of this, you might consider Devuan - it's Debian, but without systemd, so it uses a lot less memory. If you're using a stock kernel, start learning how to lsmod, see what you aren't removing, add it to the blacklist, and update-initramfs to keep them from loading. Who the hell needs pcspkr or floppy in 2019?

Thanked by 3rm_ uptime Mark_
  • @edfox said:

@eol said:
    Lighttpd.

Nice memory leak you got there

Never had an issue.
    Proof?

edited February 2019

Letzien said: Stickler: That would be LEDE, wouldn't it?

Yes.

Letzien said: Really, though? Stock firmware with LuCI fits in 4M and 32M RAM? Can it do anything?

What wouldn't it do? O.o

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:         28176      22216       5960        564       2168       7284
    -/+ buffers/cache:      12764      15412
    Swap:            0          0          0

A typical home router with PPPoE and IPv6.
    448KB total space in the /overlay partition, 196 KB free.
    If you wanted samba and webserver and owncloud and node.js, then maybe not. But as a router this works no problem, especially as you can see RAM is not an issue whatsoever. For storage, if there's a USB port, you can plug in any old flash stick and have gigabytes free.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Letzien said:
    Atop of this, you might consider Devuan - it's Debian, but without systemd, so it uses a lot less memory. If you're using a stock kernel, start learning how to lsmod, see what you aren't removing, add it to the blacklist, and update-initramfs to keep them from loading. Who the hell needs pcspkr or floppy in 2019?

I agree, but I assumed that by now everyone knows that there is a "Debian without systemd" (Devuan). FWIW, I use only Devuan (as far as debian type distros are concerned).

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @rm_ said:

Letzien said: Really, though? Stock firmware with LuCI fits in 4M and 32M RAM? Can it do anything?

What wouldn't it do? O.o

IPv6? Many of these are locked to 4 in hardware, even is superficially. Also, I was thinking of the 4ROM/16RAM boxes like my old favorite hardware (and I'm so fickle, I forget what it was called).

> Mem:         28176      22216       5960        564       2168       7284
    > -/+ buffers/cache:      12764      15412
    > Swap:            0          0          0

A typical home router with PPPoE and IPv6.
    448KB total space in the /overlay partition, 196 KB free.
    If you wanted samba and webserver and owncloud and node.js, then maybe not. But as a router this works no problem, especially as you can see RAM is not an issue whatsoever. For storage, if there's a USB port, you can plug in any old flash stick and have gigabytes free.

Ehh, I've got about 30+ active clients at all times due to a large household. I like the ability to open up SSH and have it not cycle ports on me after a few minutes of inactivity in an effort to conserve resources. Especially since I'm stuck with SuperMicro IPMI. I broke down and got a $20 used router off of eBay last year, and I love it. I've hooked up a low power HD in lieu of flash. I didn't feel like repartitioning so it has a hell of a lot of swap space.

Linux superrouter 4.9.146 #0 Fri Dec 28 13:43:59 2018 mips GNU/Linux
    Mem:        125116      90264      34852       9940      26332      28124
    -/+ buffers/cache:      35808      89308
    Swap:      1999868        392    1999476
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root                 5.3M      5.3M         0 100% /rom
    tmpfs                    61.1M     10.1M     51.0M  17% /tmp
    /dev/mtdblock5            8.9M      4.0M      4.9M  45% /overlay
    overlayfs:/overlay        8.9M      4.0M      4.9M  45% /
    tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
    /dev/sda2               456.4G     93.5G    339.7G  22% /mnt/sda2

edited February 2019

Letzien said: IPv6?

I specifically mentioned this is with IPv6, for a different reason though, because earlier versions of OpenWRT didn't come with v6-related packages by default, and you had to install those on top, consuming the valuable /overlay space.

Many of these are locked to 4 in hardware, even is superficially.

OpenWRT tends to not use any hardware accelerated packet processing engines, because those typically only have a proprietary binary-only kernel module in the vendor's firmware. And these older 32MB/4MB models are more likely to not have any such engines to begin with. And aside from those, there's nothing that would be locking a router with OpenWRT to be IPv4-only.

• @rm_ said:

Letzien said: IPv6?

I specifically mentioned this is with IPv6, for a different reason though, because earlier versions of OpenWRT didn't come with v6-related packages by default, and you had to install those on top, consuming the valuable /overlay space.

Which is also why I requested further information regarding your statement, saying this doesn't always work OOTB.

Many of these are locked to 4 in hardware, even is superficially.

OpenWRT tends to not use any hardware accelerated packet processing engines, because those typically only have a proprietary binary-only kernel module in the vendor's firmware. And these older 32MB/4MB models are more likely to not have any such engines to begin with. And aside from those, there's nothing that would be locking a router with OpenWRT to be IPv4-only.

As above, so below. We did have some interesting switch+bridge hardware back in the day so the 100Mhz mips processor would be able to handle the amazing task of actually handling out-of-local-area things without having to pass it back to the CPU to handle.

Older OpenWRT didn't have /any/ IPv6 support by default, and trying to run all of the goodies was /nearly/ impossible in low RAM, but again, I was thinking of 4/16, not 4/32, so that was my bad. I forgot just how shitty consumer grade routers were in the early 2000s.

Thanked by 1uptime