Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know any tips for promoting a new free WordPress plugin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone know any tips for promoting a new free WordPress plugin?

Hello everyone,

We released a new plugin called WPvivid Backup/Restore which is a backup/restore plugin for WordPress. It is available to download from WordPress plugin directory (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpvivid-backuprestore/). This is our first plugin, I am wondering if anyone has any tips/advices on the best way to promote new WordPress plugins.

I knew that there are quite a lot WordPress blogs offering a paid review. But, due to a tight budget, we only consider the free promoting solution now.

Any tips and advices are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanked by 1mikei

Comments

• What is the advantage of yours vs let's say "All-in-One WP Migration" ?

• You could try opening a thread on LET about it maybe?

Thanked by 2caracal eol
  • Dick pics.

• BoldBaatarBoldBaatar Member
    edited January 2019

@vovler said:
    What is the advantage of yours vs let's say "All-in-One WP Migration" ?

The free version of WPvivid Backup/Restore covers backup and restore features, uploading to cloud storage. If you are using All in one WP migration, you have to pay for the restore feature and remote storage extensions.

• @dahartigan said:
    You could try opening a thread on LET about it maybe?

I created a thread, but only a few people are interested.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155352/free-need-feedback-for-wpvivid-backup-restore-a-new-free-wordpress-backup-plugin

• You need a second thread.. simple maths randy bobandy

Thanked by 2BoldBaatar eol
  • @BoldBaatar said:

@vovler said:

The free version of WPvivid Backup/Restore covers backup and restore features, uploading to cloud storage. If you are using All in one WP migration, you have to pay for the restore feature and remote storage extensions.

I already have paid version of updraft plus backup. And pretty sure many others. If your free / paid solution doesn't offer something unique to already established service, there is no reason for us to use your solution.

Thanked by 1BoldBaatar
  • And no, "we plan to add more features in the future doesn't count"

Thanked by 2eol lukesUbuntu
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2019

More importantly, it is really "we" or is it just a lone programmer?

If you are honest about size of your "team", you might grab few sympathizers, those who are willing to give new comers a chance.

• eoleol Member

@deank said:

Used plural three times.
    Probably alone.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@BoldBaatar said:

@dahartigan said:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/155352/free-need-feedback-for-wpvivid-backup-restore-a-new-free-wordpress-backup-plugin

I am interested , Free plugin provides cloud backup with no limit on size of update . that's amazing

Use facebook groups to advertise your plugin , there's many facebook groups . for example this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/websworld/ has 470,000 member and they allow advertising on their group

Thanked by 2BoldBaatar laoban
  • @mustafamw3 said:

@BoldBaatar said:

@dahartigan said:

I am interested , Free plugin provides cloud backup with no limit on size of update . that's amazing

Use facebook groups to advertise your plugin , there's many facebook groups . for example this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/websworld/ has 470,000 member and they allow advertising on their group

There's really nothing amazing comparing to updraftplus free version.

Thanked by 1hardgamers
  • @yokowasis said:

@BoldBaatar said:

@vovler said:

I already have paid version of updraft plus backup. And pretty sure many others. If your free / paid solution doesn't offer something unique to already established service, there is no reason for us to use your solution.

Thanks bro. Your feedback is really important to us and what you said makes sense. We must provide users with something new and unique.

• @yokowasis said:
    And no, "we plan to add more features in the future doesn't count"

I will update this thread in future once adding the significant features.

• @mustafamw3 said:

@BoldBaatar said:

@dahartigan said:

Thanks for your advice. I will join this group right now. Next step, the popular cloud storage will be covered and we keep it free.

• @deank said:

If you are honest about size of your "team", you might grab few sympathizers, those who are willing to give new comers a chance.

We are a small team, not a lone programmer. I don’t want to pretend a lone programmer to get any sympathy because there is no room for the weak in the real market.

• spam up forums like digitalpoint wjunction webhostinftalk lowendtalk

• well, first Congrats publishing your Plugin to official repository. But boy, the niche you picked is kind of hard as there's already alot of solution out there that does the same thing.

But, I think the best way is to go to the support forum of the other plugins that does the same and check what are their "unresolved" bugs or "not-yet-implemented" features and push those features on your plugin. Then users will start migrating on your plugin. I know a handful of groups who are in WP plugin development industry who does this.

Goodluck!

Regards,

Thanked by 1BoldBaatar
  • @ZiriusPH said:
    well, first Congrats publishing your Plugin to official repository. But boy, the niche you picked is kind of hard as there's already alot of solution out there that does the same thing.

But, I think the best way is to go to the support forum of the other plugins that does the same and check what are their "unresolved" bugs or "not-yet-implemented" features and push those features on your plugin. Then users will start migrating on your plugin. I know a handful of groups who are in WP plugin development industry who does this.

Goodluck!

Regards,

Thanks for offering the useful advice. This is really helpful to us. We know there are many existing solutions out there like Updraftplus with more than two million active installations. This is a real challenge to us to stand out from the respectable rivals. Now, we are finding the ways for how to let more people know it. Meanwhile, we keep refining and improving it. As a small team with a limited budget, we have to face more difficulties than others. However, we trust we can create a new and unique backup plugin.

• @uxtvdl said:
    spam up forums like digitalpoint wjunction webhostinftalk lowendtalk

We abide by the rules and policies of every forums and post thread in proper category. If it is spam, I think you can’t see any thread about our plugin on these mentioned forums.

• @BoldBaatar said:

@yokowasis said:
    And no, "we plan to add more features in the future doesn't count"

I will update this thread in future once adding the significant features.

@yokowasis Currently, WPvivid backup plugin supports for backing up to Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, DigitalOcean Spaces, Amazon S3, FTP and SFTP. In addition to that, it includes site migration feature in the latest release. Importantly, it is free.

• mikeimikei Member
    edited April 2019

I like the UI and features! And for that reason I'll give it a try and leave a review then. Thanks for posting! You seem to find the right place to promote it).

Thanked by 1BoldBaatar
  • AIOAIO Member

Implement a feature that other Plugins don't have, like Backblaze B2 support.

• @mikei said:
    I like the UI and features! And for that reason I'll give it a try and leave a review then. Thanks for posting! You seem to find the right place to promote it).

Thanks for your feedback.

• @AIO said:
    Implement a feature that other Plugins don't have, like Backblaze B2 support.

Thanks for your feedback. We plan to cover more cloud storage ptoviders including Backblaze in future.