Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH France (GRA/RBX) for US/CA traffic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH France (GRA/RBX) for US/CA traffic?

datanoisedatanoise Member
edited January 2019 in Help

Hi

Does somebody here uses an OVH FR server for US traffic? I'm looking for a place to host a website on which both EU & NA traffic is expected.

It seems to me that both OVH main locations (FR or CA) would work the same, with CA being a bit better (lower latency to the west coast, OK latency to western EU) but some KS are more easily available in FR than in CA, making it easier to host that site in FR.

From your experience would OVH FR be fine for north american traffic (web pages)?
Is their transatlantic link sometimes saturated or does it work well all the time?

Thanks LET!

Comments

• If just hosting a website, both should work fine.
    But if somebody wants to host on another EU provider (eg. Hetzner), and then reverse proxy to get better speeds, I would recommend France since Hetzner<->OVH FR is more than good enough and OVH FR<->NA is decent, while Hetzner<->OVH CA is pretty bad honestly (tho OVH CA<->NA will be mostly excellent, but moot point).

Thanked by 2uptime datanoise
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Depends, with Kimsufi I had issues regarding to speeds between CA and FR.
    No idea how it works out with guaranteed speeds at OVH side.

Could be the same result or could be better.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • I don't have the answer you are looking for, but if you go with a CDN like BunnyCDN to serve all the js/css/images, your visitors shouldn't notice any slowdowns.

Or just use CloudFlare's free plan.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • I used a vps in CA with ovh and the routing to various USA customers was shit. Even with a cdn, a php site is being routed poorly and took 2+ seconds more to load than one hosted in Europe, which should never happen.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks guys.

AC_Fan said: reverse proxy to get better speeds

Yeah I was even considering to add an extra layer in front of the FR box if needed. A cheap VPS on @Clouvider's network for example.. CloudFlare could be an option as well if their network is really better than OVH for the transatlantic & NA part, but I'd prefer to use them for static files only.

Neoon said: with Kimsufi I had issues regarding to speeds between CA and FR.

Interesting. Was that a long time ago? Looking at http://weathermap.ovh.net/ it seems like the link between london and nyc isn't overloaded...

vovler said: go with a CDN

That would probably be ideal for static files to limit the content that would have to come from the original server and to have a latency penalty as little as possible...

iHavenoName said: I used a vps in CA with ovh and the routing to various USA customers was shit

Really? In my understanding it shouldn't be worse than their EU locations as their EU traffic goes through London then NYC, while CA goes to NYC and then probably takes the same route as stuff coming from EU: CA being closer to NYC seems to be the main difference, but I can be wrong. It would be really interesting to know if the routing in the US is the same for each location, with increased latency being the only drawback.

• vovler said: but if you go with a CDN like BunnyCDN to serve all the js/css/images, your visitors shouldn't notice any slowdowns

To be honest if he setup he's own CDN will cost him less and /maybe faster , theses CDN companies will never put you on top of their waiting line , Cloudflare on some cases (specially free plan) were sometimes slower even then shared host .
    OP if interest about speed you either use Nginx/RAM cache or use Varnish with your own CDN (it's better to be more than one )

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @datanoise said:
    Really? In my understanding it shouldn't be worse than their EU locations as their EU traffic goes through London then NYC, while CA goes to NYC and then probably takes the same route as stuff coming from EU: CA being closer to NYC seems to be the main difference, but I can be wrong. It would be really interesting to know if the routing in the US is the same for each location, with increased latency being the only drawback.

Yea it's anecdotal, but that was my experience. The CA cloud service had slow ass HDD too, so it was just a poor option for my needs.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • sinsin Member

I know you're looking at OVH but I find that the Netherlands works pretty well for US and EU traffic.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • inklight said: own CDN will cost him less and /maybe faster

That's the plan for static assets.

sin said: I find that the Netherlands works pretty well for US and EU traffic.

Any provider you'd recommend there?

• datanoise said: Any provider you'd recommend there?

If you need a budget dedi like a Kimsufi but in the Netherlands then you could try looking at Worldstream.nl's special server deals (they add and change them often). I've had one of their budget dedis for around 2 years and I really like it and their support is great too.

• sin said: you could try looking at Worldstream.nl's special server deals (they add and change them often).

Thanks, I'll check now and then!

Thanked by 1sin