Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name?

12346»

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

so ... maybe enough troll threads on LET at the moment, let me attempt a more serious response to what you're asking:

Yes, setting up your own email server could be worthwhile - as a learning experience if you don't care about actually sending any email to any other server outside your domain.

But only if you know what you're doing. Most people know that they don't, and really don't want to take the trouble to learn more than that.

And anyway - as far as privacy is a concern ... as far as email goes - what's the point? Email is, and always has been, more or less as public as a postcard, and most useful only for communication with the great unwashed.

People who care enough about privacy to use something like PGP probably aren't looking at email as their go-to mode of communication anyway. And expectations about what happens with a message after it's decrypted by the recipient should always be low, with or without any assurance to the contrary.

I suspect that any supposedly "privacy-oriented" provider is more likely than not to be a honeypot (witting or otherwise), the use of which would (currently) tend to lead to a whole 'nother level of scrutiny. Be that as it may - maybe some actually get it right for a while - at which point the monkey-wrench method for key discovery could become a more serious issue, both for the operators and the users.

So yeah, self-host as much as possible, pay attention to privacy concerns, follow your heart as well as your mind as much as you can when making decisions based on "the principle of the thing" (that means don't use Facebook, don't use Google, whatever, I get it - I want nothing to do with any of that myself) - but most of all please realize you don't have a clue when it comes to the realities of online surveillance. I don't either, and probably don't want to go down too many rabbit holes trying to find out. So study what you can carefully, and tread lightly.

Anyway, good luck with your email.

Thanked by 2eol Letzien
  • I don't even bother hosting my own email anymore and I still self-host DNS.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

Libremail - Mail for freedom lovers! Get your account now!

Features:

• Best email hosting for custom domains with webmail
    • Focuses on software freedom even on the hardware
    • Free lifetime trial and paid options available
    • Minimal personal data requirement
    • Secure Tor based onion site for webmail users
    • Cryptocurrency, Paypal and Stripe payments available
    • Unlimited mailboxes / domain name even for trial users

Prices/plans:

We charge only for storage/disk space and outgoing email limits. Everything else is included.

• 1GB - Free | 100 emails per day |
    • 5GB - 10 USD a year | 500 emails per day |
    • 25GB - 50 USD a year | 2500 emails per day |
    • 50GB - 100 USD a year | 5000 emails per day |

Privacy Policy, AUP and ToS:

No user-identifiable information is stored. No copies of emails are retained other than an encrypted back up of your mailbox [depends on the mode of backup/operation you pick, details to be shared soon]. Minimal debugging connection logs are retained. No personal data is required for sign ups other than a registered domain name (No free domain names like ones from Freenom like .tk allowed for trial purpose).

If you are a criminal, terrorist or CP lover or involved anti-social or socially unacceptable personality, do not sign up. You are not welcomed. Upon report, we will immediately expunge your account access and report your domain to law enforcement in the jurisdiction of your domain registrar.

This service is designed for privacy oriented users and not for criminals to hide their tracks. We might not have multiple ways to know what you do but like stated above anything criminal or even socially unacceptable will be reported and investigated properly.

Journalists, activists are invited to use our service, while we try our level best to protect your privacy and secure our service. We are not as good as Protonmail or Lavabit at it owing to lack of resources. Kindly go with them if you want to be 99.999% sure about it.

• @cipher said:

@Janevski said:

@Letzien said:

@cipher said:

@Letzien said:
    Nobody is going to want your business. If you can't trust them, they can't trust you.

Trust? I am signing up my properly registered domain name with them, isn't it enough trust? They will be asking me to make numerous changes in DNS. Isn't that enough?

Holy shit you have to setup a single MX record that you directly control and can change as quickly as you have set the TTL! Someone call the press!

They can send mails from the owner's domain to various people telling randomly incriminating things, under the pretense that the owner is sleep mailing.

So providers can be fishy too?

Usually not, because their business model is not screwing around with the user, but earning money from providing a service to the user, but, let's pretend for a moment they do screw around with the users, just because they can. Google already does it by sniffing user data for advertising and analytical, opinion of the masses purposes.

• @cipher said:

If you are a criminal, terrorist or CP lover or involved anti-social or socially unacceptable personality, do not sign up. You are not welcomed. Upon report, we will immediately expunge your account access and report your domain to law enforcement in the jurisdiction of your domain registrar.

Journalists, activists are invited to use our service, while we try our level best to protect your privacy and secure our service. We are not as good as Protonmail or Lavabit at it owing to lack of resources. Kindly go with them if you want to be 99.999% sure about it.

Well, make up your fucking mind.

Thanked by 1jar

Letzien said: Well, make up your fucking mind.

I forgot to add, Journalist, activists != Criminals or terrorist.

• @cipher that was meant to be a joke. Google does scan all our data and its their life and blood.

Protonmail and as others have suggested Tutanota is the best for privacy conscious users.

@dtoker said:
    @cipher that was meant to be a joke. Google does scan all our data and its their life and blood.

Protonmail and as others have suggested Tutanota is the best for privacy conscious users.

Yes.