Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - Server down for over 24 hours now.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - Server down for over 24 hours now.

In the last black friday I ordered a small 1GB openVZ server from ChicagoVPS and everything worked perfectly until yesterday, when I found that server was down. I contacted support and they told me they were "working on it" so I waited a couple of hours. When server was still down I contacted again asking for an ETA on when the server would be up and they provided no ETA, just that it will be up "soon". At this point I moved the main site hosted there to another provider and just kept my personal blog in there, which, after another contact with support and over 24 hours of waiting, is still down.

At this point I'm not sure if I should wait for this to be fixed or try to get a refund and move everything to another provider. I have friends hosting with chicagoVPS and their sites are working fine, so I guess I'm the one with bad luck.

Comments

• CreativityCreativity Member
    edited January 2019

ChicagoVPS doesn't have the best reputation, I don't think you will find many people who recommend that you get a VPS through them. Their dedicated servers are fairly decent in the budget range for personal use, and I had one back when Ernie worked there. He was the only reason I kept it as a cheap backup box, as the speeds were always kinda low, but it was good for the price.

Maybe there is a ColoCrossing/ChicagoVPS representative on these forums that you can message? I know on WHT they have one.

Thanked by 1embrolio
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

Good luck getting a refund from ChicagoVPS haha, even more so on a BF purchase haha.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2019

one can be lucky with CVPS ;-)

08:51:05 up 711 days, 20:09, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.45, 0.26

Falzo said: one can be lucky with CVPS ;-)

VZ?

• @AnthonySmith said:

Falzo said: one can be lucky with CVPS ;-)

VZ?

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2018.04.14 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-01-13 13:47:40 UTC
    -------------------------------------------------

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    1999.999 MHz
    RAM:          1.0G
    Swap:         1.0G
    Kernel:       Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda     35G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        6.325 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        9.166 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        5.619 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 57.0 us / 242.5 us / 34.4 ms / 787.5 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 19.9 k requests in 5.00 s, 4.86 GiB, 3.98 k iops, 995.7 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    136.38 MiB/s
        2nd run:    90.60 MiB/s
        3rd run:    134.47 MiB/s
        average:    120.48 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        Cachefly CDN:         68.66 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        13.15 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   31.06 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      10.95 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         36.69 MiB/s

;-)

Well I was going to say if it is VZ then it does not really count as the container uptime is suspended on reboot but actually if it is KVM that is an odd thing to consider lucky given the massive security patches that were required multiple times in the last 711 days haha.

Oh CVPS.. you cheeky rascal's ! :)

Thanked by 2uptime Falzo
  • @Falzo said:
    one can be lucky with CVPS ;-)

08:51:05 up 711 days, 20:09, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.45, 0.26

You lucky bastard :lol:

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Good luck getting a refund from ChicagoVPS haha, even more so on a BF purchase haha.

I guess I'll keep flooding support then haha. And make sure I do a better research next time.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Well I was going to say if it is VZ then it does not really count as the container uptime is suspended on reboot but actually if it is KVM that is an odd thing to consider lucky given the massive security patches that were required multiple times in the last 711 days haha.

Oh CVPS.. you cheeky rascal's ! :)

ofc one can always find arguments... mine is 'US vpn cheaper than arubacloud' ;-)

@embrolio said:

You lucky bastard :lol:

very true. can't tell anything about their support though. obviously never needed it...

• Just tried my 3-year $60 node ordered years back, still works...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, if your server is down 24 hours and they just reply with "soon", the fuck move.

• There's so many LEB/LET hosts out there to choose from. Fuck them off and try another one, wash/rinse/repeat until you're satisfied.

After that wastes all your time and money just spend a little bit more and get a good reputation host.

• I've had pretty good luck with CVPS as well. I also ha e the $60 node from several years back and it's a champ.

• Did CVPS get purchased by a big company last year? Or am I thinking of another provider?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@ThresherHost said:
    Did CVPS get purchased by a big company last year? Or am I thinking of another provider?

• KwoonKwoon Member

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ThresherHost said:
    Did CVPS get purchased by a big company last year? Or am I thinking of another provider?

CVPS and the other in-house brands all returned home to the mothership in 2017 I think? Maybe 2016.

CC as a whole sold to Deluxe LLC last year.

Francisco

• JackHJackH Member

@ThresherHost said:

Only 10 comments to go buddy! You can do it, I believe in you!

• JackH said: Only 10 comments to go buddy! You can do it, I believe in you!

When I grow up I want to be just like you.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

@ThresherHost said:

JackH said: Only 10 comments to go buddy! You can do it, I believe in you!

When I grow up I want to be just like you.

9 more.

• ThresherHostThresherHost Member
    edited June 2019

Clouvider said: 9 more.

For? hopefully a prize?

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited June 2019
  • @sanvit said:

@ThresherHost said:

For? hopefully a prize?

If you consider provider tag as a prize

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/153228/rules-for-selling-on-lowendtalk-updated-04th-sep-2018/p1

Oh, it’s too bad I do not sell vps services nor do I plan to.... I suppose jokes on you all. I’m here for drama and the ride... it’s like being on a burning ship I never know quite when we’re gonna sink but it sure is getting hot.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@ThresherHost said:

@sanvit said:

@ThresherHost said:

For? hopefully a prize?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/153228/rules-for-selling-on-lowendtalk-updated-04th-sep-2018/p1

Oh, it’s too bad I do not sell vps services nor do I plan to.... I suppose jokes on you all. I’m here for drama and the ride... it’s like being on a burning ship I never know quite when we’re gonna sink but it sure is getting hot.

Oh, I see :) Actually, a lot of providers (especially those with a username of xxxxHost) tend to create 15 useless posts, just to get the provider tag. So people here don't really like accounts with that kind of usename posting rather useless posts

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • >

Oh, I see :) Actually, a lot of providers (especially those with a username of xxxxHost) tend to create 15 useless posts, just to get the provider tag. So people here don't really like accounts with that kind of usename posting rather useless posts

Go figure. I mainly just do a lot free hosting for people as a hobby really, I have no intention of advertising on here when you offer things for free well, people just come. Haha. And it’s quite funny that people on here do that considering it’s nothing but a huge pool of hosting providers... isn’t that the point? Or maybe the point is to troll because the mods even do it. Anyways I’m off to bed. Goodnight fellas.

• donlidonli Member

@ThresherHost said:

@sanvit said:

@ThresherHost said:

For? hopefully a prize?

Good, because Thrashing Host would have been a bad name anyway.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @embrolio said:
    In the last black friday I ordered a small 1GB openVZ server from ChicagoVPS and everything worked perfectly until yesterday, when I found that server was down. I contacted support and they told me they were "working on it" so I waited a couple of hours. When server was still down I contacted again asking for an ETA on when the server would be up and they provided no ETA, just that it will be up "soon". At this point I moved the main site hosted there to another provider and just kept my personal blog in there, which, after another contact with support and over 24 hours of waiting, is still down.

At this point I'm not sure if I should wait for this to be fixed or try to get a refund and move everything to another provider. I have friends hosting with chicagoVPS and their sites are working fine, so I guess I'm the one with bad luck.

dont go with VPS.why dont you select Could server with backup fuction?

• uptimeuptime Member

Could server selecter backup fuction ok

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

@uptime said:
    Could server selecter backup fuction ok

With IPoAC master race tunneling ok

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

hyperpigeon protocol 5.2 ok

Thanked by 1ITLabs