Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things to consider when building your own network and collocation - advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Things to consider when building your own network and collocation - advice

So I’ve been thinking of getting some of my own hardware to collocate, what advice can the more established companies give when dealing with the data centres.
Is there any hardware you can recommend that may not have thought of, own routers etc.
Things to look out for in contracts etc. What to look for when picking a collocation

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

Make sure noone steals your hardware.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Don’t go cheap, do it proper.

Thanked by 2ginner159 feezioxiii
  • Dear MDHOSTING,

You might want to re-consider going into the hosting biz, given that you could rent out your house for way more money than you could rent out a vps for.

• Yeah I know my site isn’t great bought a crappy template back in 2014 when I didn’t know how to use WordPress I’ve a better one being built in the background.

• Is summer already around the corner?

• Irrespective of saying your site isn’t great, I wouldn’t lie about a business address.

• @teamacc said:
    Dear MDHOSTING,

You might want to re-consider going into the hosting biz, given that you could rent out your house for way more money than you could rent out a vps for.

It also says

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@pike said:
    Make sure noone steals your hardware.

Dont get Prouded.

• @Vinnyletje said:
    Is summer already around the corner?

No but we also have Spring hosts.

Thanked by 2eol t0m
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Don’t go cheap, do it proper.

And have on-site spares, always.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • Good luck with your provider tag

Thanked by 2eol uptime
    • Redundancy is key, make sure you have A+B feeds and a redundant network stack

• Dual PSUs is the best to do

• Use external monitoring for IPMI (i.e. Zabbix) over a secure VPN, monitor things like HDD status and tempratures of servers also with Zabbix, there are a ton of templates to monitor this

• Never ever put a IPMI out on the internet, unless you want to run out of bandwidth in 3 days(or just really want a high bill..)

• Always have spare parts on hand

And many more small things

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

At the end of the day it really depends on what you want to do.
    Are you looking to just put a single 1U server in a data center or are you looking for multiple locations and many servers?

I would suggest starting out with a single system first and grow from there see if it's the right option for you. If you haven't done much with servers before then renting a dedicated server or VPS would be the better option.

As others said make sure you find a proper business so that your equipment isn't stolen etc.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • why would somebody share their Secret of success with you ?

• @uxtvdl said:
    why would somebody share their Secret of success with you ?

I don't expect them to, just seeking advice from those who have the experience.

@Vinnyletje @zafouhar not wanting to be either, slow steady steps to make something reliable and trusting. watched too many people get bitten by them on here to want to make anything of the sort. :)

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

A few things that may help in your early setup:

• Contact a short list of DC companies and probe them with everything you can't find on their website, find out how much any remote hand costs are, network charges, power limits etc!
    • A lot of companies will provide replacement hardware if they stock the same as you are going to host with them, so see if your provider can handle that. It will save you stress when a drive fails and you need it replaced asap!
    • In the early days I would suggest just renting space, let the DC connect your servers to their routers, switches etc. Start small, otherwise you will be paying out for all this equipment and you might not get enough customers to pay it off.
    • Take your time, don't rush into things, do your research, Google everything!

Just a few thoughts!

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • Best piece of advice I can offer you is do not do it. Go work for some one else until you get the experience to do it on your own. You can ask anyone you want to here, and other places, but that will give you the experience you need.

• So much sig spamming in here.

• eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:
    So much sig spamming in here.

Jealous?

• @eol said:

@dahartigan said:

Jealous?

Is it that obvious? :blush:

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

Jealous?

LOL.
    Of course not.

• @eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

Jealous?

LOL.
    Of course not.

Shit, you called my bluff and I exposed myself (again, and unwilling) to you.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

Jealous?

LOL.
    Of course not.

4 hrs to EDIT2.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

@dahartigan said:

Jealous?

LOL.
    Of course not.

4 hrs to EDIT2.

RIP

Thanked by 1eol
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@ginner159 said:
    So I’ve been thinking of getting some of my own hardware to collocate, what advice can the more established companies give when dealing with the data centres.
    Is there any hardware you can recommend that may not have thought of, own routers etc.
    Things to look out for in contracts etc. What to look for when picking a collocation

First pick a market that you want to target (if you are planning to get into hosting business), decide your co-location provider accordingly.
    Make sure your co-location provider is an established and trusted provider else you may just end up loosing your hardware.

Ask all these and a lot more questions to your colo provider, it may even help you decide your colo provider as you will know get an idea if your provider is flexible and cares about customers or not.

Regarding choosing hardware it all depends what are you planning to use it for ?

Thanked by 1ginner159