Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU used in Hetzner Cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU used in Hetzner Cloud

Hi guys,

does anyone know which CPU exactly Hetzner is using in their Cloud offer?
On their page they only say it's Skylake Xeon but no more information are available (or I didn't find it).

Also asked the support but they told me they can't give me more information than what's on their page (I was like seriously?!).

Hoping anyone of you has more information.

Maybe @Hetzner_OL ?

Thanks!

Comments

• https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11486900

Perhaps the scores would mean something

Thanked by 2ehab eol
  • Also it's not necessary that they are using the same CPU across their product line.

• @cybertech said:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11486900

Perhaps the scores would mean something

It appears that Hetzner has 10% more power (SC and MC) than the RS1000 from Netcup.
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11608310

Are your dedicated ones or the normal (cheaper) cloud offer?

@msg7086 said:
    Also it's not necessary that they are using the same CPU across their product line.

That idk but anyway they could simply tell their customer which CPU(s) they are using, it doesn't really matter if it's only one specific CPU or if they use a variaty of CPU's.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2019

Low level support obviously wouldn't have such specific info in a company like Hetzner.

Why do you need that piece of info anyway? Generally, "skylake xeon" is specific enough, which translates to Ex-xxxxv5.

• @neik said: That idk but anyway they could simply tell their customer which CPU(s) they are using, it doesn't really matter if it's only one specific CPU or if they use a variaty of CPU's.

I think that Vultr reveal even less than Hetzner.

OVH also is fairly vague on CPU they used in VPS.

• @deank said:
    Low level support obviously wouldn't have such specific info in a company like Hetzner.

Low level (technical) support at OVH can look up the CPU of their hypervisors, and pretty sure support staff in Hetzner can as well :)

@deank said:
    OVH also is fairly vague on CPU they used in VPS.

It has been revealed multiple times on their IRC :-D

Anything can be said on IRC. I am talking about their website.

• @deank said:

Why do you need that piece of info anyway? Generally, "skylake xeon" is specific enough, which translates to Ex-xxxxv5.

I don't need it but simply would like to know.
    Netcup for instance also uses Skylake Xeons but scores about 10% less compared to the 2-core Hetzner cloud. I would like to know if this is related with a higher clocking CPU on the Hetzner side.

Btw. the new Xeon have a new label -> Xeon Bronze (not sure with this one), Silver, Gold, Platinum. :-)

edited January 2019

10% is within margin of errors from different motherboards, RAM, etc.

And then there are like 10 different Xeon CPUs, discounting a fact that there are even more between E3, E5, and E7 with different default clock and turbo.

• eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@neik said:
    Btw. the new Xeon have a new label -> Xeon Bronze (not sure with this one), Silver, Gold, Platinum. :-)

Yup.
    Might be something like this.

EDIT2:
    Hint:
    GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 85 Stepping 4

• I was looking at this the other day and reached the totally subjective conclusion that they're Skylake Xeon Silver 4116/T (based on family, model, stepping, L3 cache and base cpu speed. Could be totally wrong tho.

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@neik said:
    Hi guys,

does anyone know which CPU exactly Hetzner is using in their Cloud offer?
    On their page they only say it's Skylake Xeon but no more information are available (or I didn't find it).

Here's what I can tell you: Intel Skylake Xeon CPUs with 2.1 GHz. It's the same for both CX and CCX models. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2eol uptime

Mental breakdown from OP averted.

Or is it already too late?

Thanked by 2pike uptime
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

angstrom said: I think that Vultr reveal even less than Hetzner

Are they as vague as this?

model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.1.3

• @Mr_Tom said:

angstrom said: I think that Vultr reveal even less than Hetzner

Are they as vague as this?

model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.1.3

Unless something has changed radically, they were.

I see now that they advertise "Introducing Intel Skylake for packages starting from $10" ( https://www.vultr.com/pricing/ ), but this must be a recent change.

• Can someone explain to me why this is a secret? Is it because of security issues or something?

edited January 2019

It's not exactly a secret.

When a company has thousands or more machines running, generalization is required because not all of them will use exactly the same config.

Support not telling you is just laziness on their part. If I were level 3 support, I might, well probably, have done the same.

Why should I waste my time digging that info out to satisfy your PMS?

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL coreflux
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

deank said: When a company has thousands or more machines running, generalization is required because not all of them will use exactly the same config.

Yes, this is why.

deank said: Low level support obviously wouldn't have such specific info in a company like Hetzner.

AFAIK our first level support team does not have this knowledge, nor do I, as a member of the marketing team. Because of GDPR and other regulations, we minimize customers' personal data that employees have access to to a need-to-know basis.

If a customer suspects that there is an issue with their Hetzner Cloud CPU performance, they should write a support ticket. If you are a potential customer and you just want to test out Hetzner Cloud's CPU performance, you can do that simply by creating a server, trying it out for a bit, and if you are unsatisfied, deleting the server. Depending on how long you test it, it will only cost you a few cents. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • gol3mgol3m Member
    edited January 2019

edit: posted answers in the wrong threads

I noticed that Hetzner Cloud CPU cores are a lot better than Scaleway (which uses Atom CPUs to my knowledge).