Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I use many small servers or one high end one?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I use many small servers or one high end one?

Im starting to think that servers in the $10 range are the strongest for my money. However, I would need like 20 of them or something like that. It would also make everything take 20 times longer. The price of high end servers is so bad though, they seem to have diminishing returns.

Ive also been messing around on this topic of buying a server for 2 days now, so I am wasting time.

Comments

• syntrinosyntrino Member
    edited January 2019

Depends on what host you are looking for.

If you want the best bang for your buck, without caring about location, I would recommend Online.net, Hetzner, or OVH. Online.net has some insane specs for prices. However Online.net servers are only available in France.

Edit: Seems like Online.net now offers servers in Amsterdam

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Yes

Thanked by 1mfs
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Yes

• Depends on use case and requirements.

By small servers, are you referring to VPS servers, and by a high end server you're looking at a dedicated server?

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited January 2019

@quick said:
    Yes

@deank said:
    Yes

it's amazing when 2 people in 2 diff places post same word at same time. Too bad that the forum didn't display seconds.

It would be awesome if 2 of you could merge. Have you ever heard of this?

Thanked by 1eol
  • @WSCallum said:
    Depends on use case and requirements.

By small servers, are you referring to VPS servers, and by a high end server you're looking at a dedicated server?

referring to smaller dedicated servers, something like a Xeon L5630 with 8 gigs of ram
    that costs about $20. I could also buy a $40 i7-4790k with 32 gigs of ram.

• eoleol Member

Use case?

• @syntrino said:

If you want the best bang for your buck, without caring about location, I would recommend Online.net, Hetzner, or OVH. Online.net has some insane specs for prices. However Online.net servers are only available in France.

online.net:
    Id like that 1x AMD EPYC™ 7281 96gb ram server for like $100. Still I could have 5x i7 4790k's with 32gb ram for $40 ea.

hetzner is nice, but the offer a i7 3770 for 35 euros so I am looking at servdiscount for that 4790k over hetzner.

Looking at OVH right now, Id like something that is two i7's in one, for like $100. With 64gb ram.

• @eol said:
    Use case?

OSRS bot

Thanked by 1eol
  • syntrinosyntrino Member
    edited January 2019

@xxlx said:

@syntrino said:

online.net:
    Id like that 1x AMD EPYC™ 7281 96gb ram server for like $100. Still I could have 5x i7 4790k's with 32gb ram for $40 ea.

hetzner is nice, but the offer a i7 3770 for 35 euros so I am looking at servdiscount for that 4790k over hetzner.

Looking at OVH right now, Id like something that is two i7's in one, for like $100. With 64gb ram.

Can you link the offer for 5 x i7 with 32GB of ram for $40?

You're also forgetting that the AMD EPYC is insanely powerful and the 96gb of DDR4 and comes with 2 x 1 TB of NVME SSD.

You're getting 16 cores out of that beast of a machine.

What are you exactly doing on these servers that you need this much cpu power? You might be better off using a dedicated service to achieve what you are doing. For example like video encoding, you could offload that to AWS or another servic for cheaper and more power.

• eoleol Member

EPYC +1.
    EDIT +2.

• xxlxxxlx Member
    edited January 2019

@syntrino said:

@xxlx said:

@syntrino said:

online.net:

Can you link the offer for 5 x i7 with 32GB of ram for $40?

You're also forgetting that the AMD EPYC is insanely powerful and the 96gb of DDR4 and comes with 2 x 1 TB of NVME SSD.

You're getting 16 cores out of that beast of a machine.

What are you exactly doing on these servers that you need this much cpu power? You might be better off using a dedicated service to achieve what you are doing. For example like video encoding, you could offload that to AWS or another servic for cheaper and more power.

Its one i7 4790k with 32gb ram for $40. https://servdiscount.com about halfway down the offers page.

Im doing osrs bots, which are bots that advance accounts and get items in game.

Here are the system requirements, >
    1.5 GHz Processor, 256 MB RAM, 128 MB 3D Graphics Card

I am trying to run as many instances of this game as I can. Right now one is taking about 7% of my amd A8-9600 cpu at home.

Its a game that uses cpu only, and judging by the requirements I think it benefits from having multiple slow cores.

With my friends dual xeon E5540's and 16 gigs of ram, I was able to run 60 of these. It sort of froze the whole server, and Im really getting tired of using that one.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited January 2019

Ask the same question about women: do you want 20 or one really hot girl? Depends on the type of guy you are

• @FoxelVox said:
    Ask the same question about women: do you want 20 or one really hot girl? Depends on the type of guy you are

hmmm, Id take the one really hot girl.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @xxlx said:

@FoxelVox said:

Good choice, make the same with picking a (or 20) servers, easy peasy LET life advise here

Thanked by 1xxlx
  • eoleol Member

@xxlx said:

@FoxelVox said:

I take 20 girls.
    Just one gets boring soon enough.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • xxlxxxlx Member
    edited January 2019

eol said: I take 20 girls.
    Just one gets boring soon enough.

What about all the drama those girls would bring you, worth it?

This discussion has been closed.