Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation backup

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited February 2012 in General

Hey

Does anyone got the Backup plan from hostigation?
Is it good, fast and has it good uptime?

Just want to know this

Comments

• Considering that their other products are good, fast, and have good uptime, it would be safe to assume that their backup plan is similar :)

• @Damian said: assume that their backup plan is similar

You would think that would be a safe bet, but I originally built the backup node out of old decommissioned parts and used an external eSata enclosure that if you looked at it cross-eyes it would drop drives out of the raid. The raid array failed twice in the unrecoverable manner, but when I moved to Charlotte, I bought new gear for the backups, so it is now an E3-1230 like all the OpenVZ nodes, and while still using software raid, the drives are all enclosed in the chassis so the problem with an eSata cable cannot happen any longer.

The node currently has 33 days of uptime, is running EL6 without vSwap enabled, so things are looking promising, but it's only fair to disclose the problems I've had with this backup service.

• I think that fast enough 2-4 MB/s from my production server, I only do backup every night.

If I remember correctly hardisk crash few days ago.

I dont monitor my vps on hostigation so I dont know about uptime from internet.

• I have a 210GB backup VPS and before it was moved to Charlotte I was not overly impressed as miTgiB said that server was a bit rough around the edges but the new Charlotte node is rock solid.

I have not had any problems at all and it is plenty fast.

I am using his custom backup Debian install, and the only thing I tweaked is I disabled FTP and a few other less secure services, added IPTables and good to go. Runs great.

I use Rsync mainly, SFTP now and again.