Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or buy some hardware?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or buy some hardware?

I'm doing some part-time kernel dev and looking for a build machine since my laptop is too slow on that. I would like to have a machine that:

build can be as fast as possible (which means SSD (60G should be enough), many cores (4+/8+) and large RAM(1G/core))
better to support nested virtualization (so that I can run it directly on that machine)
has low cost when I don't use it (only perform devs in the evening for ~3h/d)
I was wondering about the best option: should I rent a dedicated server / VPS or buy some hardware?

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited January 2019

Judge from your name I believe you are from Vietnam.

I would suggest using cloud services. Either wait for Public Cloud by OVH, or use other popular platform that provides Singapore node like DigitalOcean/Vultr/Linode/AWS/Azure/GCP.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited January 2019

Instance that fits your needs

Type RAM CPU SSD Hourly
    OVH C2-15 15G 4 100G $0.207/hr
    DigitalOcean 8G 4 50G $0.119/hr
    Vultr 16G 6 200G $0.119/hr
    Linode 16G 6 320G $0.12/hr
    AWS c5.xlarge 8G 4 - $0.196/hr
    Azure F4s v2 8G 4 - $0.196/hr
    GCP n1-highcpu-4 3.6G 4 - $0.1748/hr

Based on the average pricing, you will pay $13.5/m for 3 hours per day

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • If you're doing this long term then maybe try the vps route first as it's cheaper upfront, if you require more then at least you know what hardware to buy.

• eoleol Member

Hardware.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2019

On the long run you will save money with colocating your hardware... but if you don't want the hassle to maintain the hardware yourself then a cloud solution/VPS would be best for you.

(In case you are going with a higher end VPS of course) you can't compare colocation to a 6$ a month VPS because colocation will be around 30-50$ per month.

• You might also want to have a look at preemptible machines (by GCP for example). You can have them for a fraction of the price with the limitation that they have a max lifetime of 24h and they can be shut down anytime.

You can even think about a small Jenkins server that can automatically spawn a new server on GCP, build your commit and then shut down the machine.

• iirc @LunaNode has a thing where you can "shelve" your vm, allowing for lower monthly cost.

Thanked by 2eol ehab
  • Shelving feels much much better than idling.

Thanked by 1eol
  • The alternative is to throw money at a new laptop instead of throwing it at a VPS. I'd definitely go for a new laptop, as that'd not only improve build speed but also development speed, etc.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @eol said:
    Hardware.

Place it in your room, and pay the electricity only.

Thanked by 1eol