Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server with satellite feed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server with satellite feed

AkitoAkito Member
edited January 2019 in Requests

Hey guys,

Currently I'm looking for something different. A dedicated server with a satellite feed for television. Where I live there's no way to construct my own satellite dish due to regulations of the local govenment which simple won't allow me to hang on visibly from the street.
The footprint of the satellite I need does arrive where I'm living, so in my assumption it's legal to receive the signal from somewhere else thru a dedicated server and forward the stream to watch it at home. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. Just in case I'll mention that this is only for personal / private use!

I've been googling my brains out, and from the providers I've found I 'know' only Contabo provides this service but only supports the wrong satellites.

Anyone can help me out?
My requirements:

• Dedicated server:
    8 - 16GB should be enough
    250GB HDD as it's only for the OS and extra software like drivers etc for the sat. feed. I don't care for RAID.
    1 - 2TB / month
    100Mbit should be enough

Satellite required to receive: Intelsat 34.
At least 150cm diameter in the darkest spots of the shown map below.
In the 2nd darkest spots it needs 190cm diameter.

If I have forgotten any extra information required, please let me know. I've never asked for something specific as this.

I haven't mentioned any budget on purpose as I have no clue what this is going to cost me. Hence I'll take into consideration every option.

Comments

• eoleol Member

Good luck with your satellite.

• Good luck, but why not just get an iptv subscription and call it a day?

Thanked by 3eol Akito Abdussamad
  • I have tried several iptv subs but the ones that pass on the channels I wish to see have a highly unstable service / uptime. On top of that, for those I managed to find I sincerely doubt it's legal.

• in my assumption it's legal

Sounds like an antinomy :wink:

• What country are you in? And what channels are you looking to receive

• This is far more illegal than torrent... Reason is there're plenty of such illegal streaming services already available which used actual Satellite/Box and made it available on IP.

I doubt you need to host your own.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I've seen some do illegal streaming professionally.

There is certainly large enough demand for it.

Thanked by 3netomx pike dahartigan
  • eoleol Member

@mrclown said:
    This is far more illegal than torrent...

Since when are torrents in itself illegal?

• The only provider i know that does this is Contabo: they connect a satellite to ip receiver on another network card on your server. However, it can only receive Hot Bird and Eutelsat. :(

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

How is this illegal exactly?
    Maybe in some countries.

To answer the topic: Some colo providers will do this. Don't expect many (or any) dedicated server providers though.

• @Akito said:
    Hey guys,

Currently I'm looking for something different. A dedicated server with a satellite feed for television. Where I live there's no way to construct my own satellite dish due to regulations of the local govenment which simple won't allow me to hang on visibly from the street.
    The footprint of the satellite I need does arrive where I'm living, so in my assumption it's legal to receive the signal from somewhere else thru a dedicated server and forward the stream to watch it at home. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. Just in case I'll mention that this is only for personal / private use!

I've been googling my brains out, and from the providers I've found I 'know' only Contabo provides this service but only supports the wrong satellites.

Anyone can help me out?
    My requirements:

• Dedicated server:
      8 - 16GB should be enough
      250GB HDD as it's only for the OS and extra software like drivers etc for the sat. feed. I don't care for RAID.
      1 - 2TB / month
      100Mbit should be enough

Satellite required to receive: Intelsat 34.
    At least 150cm diameter in the darkest spots of the shown map below.
    In the 2nd darkest spots it needs 190cm diameter.

If I have forgotten any extra information required, please let me know. I've never asked for something specific as this.

I haven't mentioned any budget on purpose as I have no clue what this is going to cost me. Hence I'll take into consideration every option.

I think you missed out the DVBS2 Tuner PCI express card

It should also be in the requirements

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

Talk to Serverius (https://serverius.net) in the Netherlands. I have a box colo'd with them and they provide a feed from a couple of different Ku sat's for me. They likely won't have a dedicated server option, but their colo pricing for 1U is quite reasonable.

As it requires a C-Band antenna they may not have something ready to go, but it's worth an ask.

As @noaman mentioned you will need a DVB-S2 tuner to actually receive anything

Thanked by 1uptime
  • pikepike Veteran

I know Interwerk in Frankfurt used to have sat links to some servers. You could write them a mail.

• AkitoAkito Member
    edited January 2019

Hey guys,

thanks to everyone replying to this topic. I still don't see the illegal part of this however. If we're talking about FTA channels with a sat. footprint where I am it shouldn't matter (imho) if I nail a dish to my house or 500km down the road, for example. Furthermore, I don't want illegal IPTV services cause it's... well, illegal. I understand that it's a different story if I need a smart card to decode but that's not what I'm aiming for.

@pike: thanks for the option. I'm definitely going to write them.
    @freerangecloud colo-ing isn't a problem neither. Actually your option woke me up: I've never asked if my current colo provider provides this option.

And @freerangecloud & @noaman I entirely forgot about the DVB-S2 card. Thanks!

• If youre serious about this, nforce has possibility for a large dish, but it costs.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited January 2019

You are not need dedicated server You need Rented Place + electricity bills
    You will need to pay someone on other country to do this for you (and should be trusted) .
    IPTV still way better choice and cheaper , if you do rebroadcasting 'for some reason' you can only run on channel for each account + most provider do not allow rebroadcasting unless it for personal use .
    Las choice may be traveling your self to some country that have cheap rents + good Internet connections , you may have good luck Eastern Europe or South East Asia . that's I can tell you .

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Akito said:
    Hey guys,

thanks to everyone replying to this topic. I still don't see the illegal part of this however. If we're talking about FTA channels with a sat.

Rights to watch are different to rights to transmit. Not sure it applies here but you should research.

• Hi,
    some companies produce stealth satellite dishes like Cubsat or Selfsat. Did you check out if this option could work out for you?

If not have a look into Slingboxes, Linux driven SAT receivers or sat streaming hardware from tbsdtv.

You could colocate a device like this in a data center with sat connectivity or with friends (they need a good upload speed + more relaxed situation with sat dishes).

• vserversitevserversite Member, Host Rep

Hi,

ask active-servers.com, there have SAT Uplinks

• pikepike Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Rights to watch are different to rights to transmit. Not sure it applies here but you should research.

I dont think anyone that has a tv channel via sat will get you in trouble for rebroadcasting, except if you decrypt it.

• Massive price and hard setup for a tv? Better just vpn netflix and read local news on your local news portal. Tv is not worth su trouble.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

I agree. The costs for this are going to add up.

• You this service is definitely necessary for personal use and non-commercial? This is a very expensive TV will succeed.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2019

@Akito Maybe you could arrange something with a person, but that won't be in a datacenter. Perhaps a smaller cable tv provider might be willing to help you, for a very significant price...

Plus, considering the complexity, cost and risk involved, it would be the best to host it on your own premises.

So you can't install a sat dish outside, but do you have a window? Do you have a balcony? Can you get the satellite feed from there or the angle doesn't permit this?

Do you have rooftop access?

If you don't have a rooftop access, maybe you could mount a pipe on your balcony. Just do it right, so someone doesn't get hurt if that thing decides to fall down. What about from the inside down, upwards the window if the satellite is geostationary and accessible?

If you have inward balcony you could place it inside the balcony facing outside, up. Actually irregardless, it doesn't have to hang out.

Do you own other property?

Do you have a cousin with good upload speeds or a close friend living somewhere more accessible?

I am rambling, but there must be a better way.

Thanked by 1eol
  • If taking a look at Contabo it'd cost around 100 euro's a month. Which would be fine for me, if it wouldn't have been for the reception of the wrong satellites.

@vserversite I've checked their website, unfortunately they don't provider reception of the sat I need :/ Thanks however for trying to help me searching!

I will probably have to ask a friend of mine if he'll be willing the nail a sat. dish to his balcony for me :p He's on a 4th floor of a building, has 500mbit upload, so I might have a shot there if I give him my friendliest smile.
    Problem is that I can't even do it at home from behind a window since I'd need a clear line of view from a >150CM dish with an elevation of 8 degrees. First that'd take away a lot of vision from my window, 2nd I'm living in a suburb where there's no clear line of view with that low elevation.

If this doesn't work out, I'll probably have to go the less legal way and bring my own Dreambox or similar on location across the other side of the world so it can transcode it for me to watch on TV at home. There's a 60mbit upload on the remote location so that should be enough for crisp SD as I'll be watching just 1 channel at a time.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out here! Appreciate it a lot.