Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namecheap Unlimited Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namecheap Unlimited Hosting?

liujasonliujason Member
edited January 2019 in General

EDIT: https://www.lowendtalk.com/post/quote/154904/Comment_2927447

I know it could be ridiculous, but is it possible that I host my data in the Namecheap unlimited hosting database?
link: https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/

Related post:
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2927130#Form_Comment

Comments

• Emm.... nevermind, I forgot the data transfer and SQL insert issues and it may take months without ssh account if the max size of upload is limited in PMA...

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@liujason Namecheap hosting comes with ssh.

• @MikeA said:
    @liujason Namecheap hosting comes with ssh.

Yes, but jailed.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2019

No way its Unlimited. They will yell at you for storing 500 GB or whatever it was. Even much less.

• it is common for shared hosting providers offering unlimited databases, right?

It is unlimited number of databases, not unlimited data in you databases.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@laoban said:
    it is common for shared hosting providers offering unlimited databases, right?

Sorry misread. Unlimited databases yeah its pretty standard. Read it as unlimited database size.

• @laoban said:
    it is common for shared hosting providers offering unlimited databases, right?

You are right, but I can't find the limit of database size in their product description.

• laobanlaoban Member
    edited January 2019

@liujason said:
    You are right, but I can't find the limit of database size in their product description.

That's typical of unlimited space hosting. Just find limitations at their TOS. They usually limit INODES, and you will be warned if you eat too much resources or make too much noises.

Just think why is "Stellar Business Package" with "50 GB Pure SSD Disk Space" more expensive than "Stellar Plus Package" with "Unmetered SSD-Accelerated Disk Space".

• laoban said: Just think why is "Stellar Business Package" with "50 GB Pure SSD Disk Space" more expensive than "Stellar Plus Package" with "Unmetered SSD-Accelerated Disk Space".

Because not "SSD-Accelerated"?

• @laoban

50GB actual SSD vs SSD cached

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @laoban

Maybe yes, but I was focus on Unmetered vs 50GB.
    With unmetered SSD Cached, storing 50TB file should be more expensive than 50GB in pure SSD.

• @laoban said:

@FlamesRunner said:
    @laoban

Maybe yes, but I was focus on Unmetered vs 50GB.
    With unmetered SSD Cached, storing 50TB file should be more expensive than 50GB in pure SSD.

I'm looking at about 150G MySQL storage, the TOS has limitations on website usage (not for public file share and storage) and CPU usage but has not specified about the database usage.

• @liujason said:
    I'm looking at about 150G MySQL storage, the TOS has limitations on website usage (not for public file share and storage) and CPU usage but has not specified about the database usage.

It is better for you to ask namecheap directly about your need.

• Your Question: About the limitation of unlimited hosting
    Operator: Nikita Lazarev
    08:51 Your Question: About the limitation of unlimited hosting
    08:51 Please wait and one of our operators will be with you shortly.
    08:52 You are now chatting with Nikita Lazarev (Hosting CS) - Hosting Support
    08:52 Nikita Lazarev: Hello! You've contacted our Live Chat Support. Please give me a minute to look through your question.
    08:52 Nikita Lazarev: Please specify the information that you need.
    08:52 Jason Liu: I have a database about 100GB, and wish to host it in your hosting service. use it only for our lab analysis.
    08:53 Jason Liu: not a public site
    08:53 Jason Liu: Does it violate the TOS?
    08:54 Nikita Lazarev: Could you specify the hosting package that you would like to use?
    08:54 Jason Liu: Stellar Plus
    08:55 Nikita Lazarev: I am checking this information.
    08:55 Jason Liu: Thanks
    08:57 Jason Liu: It won't comsume much traffic and CPU, as I only use it as a mysql server, and all the analysis is done locally in my computer.
    08:58 Nikita Lazarev: Thank you for the additional information.
    09:00 Jason Liu: Sure, and the TOS has limitations on website usage (not for public file share and storage) and CPU usage but has not specified about the database usage
    09:01 Nikita Lazarev: You will be able to do this. However, if it will consume much resources your hosting account could be suspended.
    09:03 Nikita Lazarev: You will be able to import your database via SSH.
    09:03 Nikita Lazarev: Feel free to refer to this article: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9184/89/how-to-import-and-export-a-database-via-ssh
    09:03 Jason Liu: Thanks a lot!

Sounds like you can give it a try. I would host it on a VPS tho.

• Hm, seems namecheap support is Russian?

• StevenZhuStevenZhu Member
    edited January 2019

All unlimited hosting are limited by "fair use", and since it's shared hosting with cPanel, I bet they won't even let you store more than 100GB of MySQL data since it would create a high load / flag on their server. (Also it seems that MySQL governor is installed on every cPanel NC machine, which might cause even more trouble)

If you really want to store that much data, use either a VPS or a CloudSQL platform like AWS RDS / GCP SQL... Shared hosting are not meant to be used in this way (at least not according to most shared hosting company)

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

@LTniger said:
    Hm, seems namecheap support is Russian?

I have contacted namecheap multiple times through their live chat, and i had conversation with 20 different girls, 20 different russian names or ukrainian... or whatever

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@armandorg said:
    I have contacted namecheap multiple times through their live chat, and i had conversation with 20 different girls, 20 different russian names or ukrainian... or whatever

Please dont use Namecheap live chat support as a dating platform

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"Unlimited" until you get suspended.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Not that bad as "unlimited"

• NameCheap you is Datecheap to me now.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The only thing that is truly unlimited is greed.

Thanked by 3laoban t0m Chuck
  • @deank said:
    The only thing that is truly unlimited is greed.

Also, pubes.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

This is provided via fair use policies. I wouldn’t do what you’re proposing.

• They can unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth with 100000 Inodes.

• eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@Chuck said:
    They can unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth with 100000 Inodes.

On this planet nothing is unlimited except for stupidity.

EDIT2:
    EDIT3:

• Namecheap hosting sucks, if they can't even effectivly host a small website with a small DB, I highly doubt that your 100GB DB will be useful even if they don't suspend you for it's size alone.

• Just use buyvm sql offloaded to store your 1tb LMAO