Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

high IO performance VPS needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

high IO performance VPS needed

liujasonliujason Member
edited January 2019 in Requests

I'm looking for a high IO performance VPS in any location with at least 500G disk and hopefully, 4+ Cores, use for ecological big data analysis.
About 3 billion rows of climate data (200G), divided into about 200 tables, each table is divided into 12 partitions. The data will grow with time about 10G per year.
This VPS will only use as the MariaDB server all the analysis work will be done in other servers.

Budget is limited since I'm still a Master student and I tend not to use the resources of the lab, so I don't have to worry about the ownership of the data when I graduate. I notice that netcup has an offer:https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283
8vCPU16GRam1.5TSSD@15 €/mo

Anyone can offer better than that? I'm planning to use it for long-term storage of my data and can do yearly payment.

Comments

• Remember that disk on netcup is actually HDD + cache

• @imok said:
    Remember that disk on netcup is actually HDD + cache

Sure,"1,5 TB SSD-Performance". That is all I need.

• Just go with them. You won’t find anything cheaper

• For that sort of thing I'd recommend a cheap dedicated server, storage vps tend to have reduced IO in favour of larger storage. If you want lots of fast IO storage it can't be too cheap, or it's oversold and slow.

Thanked by 2eol hostdare
  • @dahartigan said:
    For that sort of thing I'd recommend a cheap dedicated server, storage vps tend to have reduced IO in favour of larger storage. If you want lots of fast IO storage it can't be too cheap, or it's oversold and slow.

You have the point, but how about the price?

• @muffin said:
    Just go with them. You won’t find anything cheaper

Sold out for now, sad.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

@liujason said:

@dahartigan said:
    For that sort of thing I'd recommend a cheap dedicated server, storage vps tend to have reduced IO in favour of larger storage. If you want lots of fast IO storage it can't be too cheap, or it's oversold and slow.

Your university should make hardware available for your project assuming this is a master's thesis. If you're not using that for your own reasons you will have to pay reasonable money for a reasonable service.

You won't find much if you're comparing on price with places like netcup. So I'd suggest you just use hardware the university supplies.

Thanked by 2eol hostdare
  • @jackb said:

@liujason said:

@dahartigan said:

Your university should make hardware available for your project assuming this is a master's thesis. If you're not using that for your own reasons you will have to pay reasonable money for a reasonable service.

You won't find much if you're comparing on price with places like netcup. So I'd suggest you just use hardware the university supplies.

This project is not within the master's thesis, and it may be long-term research for me, which I hope to continue after I graduate, so I can't use the server provided by the lab.

I'll take the netcap's offer when it is available.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited January 2019

I've heard that BuyVM's storage nodes has good IO (and it's currently not limited/not using them though). And it'll be $3.5 for minimal server and +$2.5 for 512G of storage.

@Francisco

• rawshrawsh Member
    edited January 2019

@liujason said:
    I'm looking for a high IO performance VPS in any location with at least 500G disk and hopefully, 4+ Cores, use for ecological big data analysis.
    About 3 billion rows of climate data (200G), divided into about 200 tables, each table is divided into 12 partitions. The data will grow with time about 10G per year.
    This VPS will only use as the MariaDB server all the analysis work will be done in other servers.

Budget is limited since I'm still a Master student and I tend not to use the resources of the lab, so I don't have to worry about the ownership of the data when I graduate. I notice that netcup has an offer:https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

Anyone can offer better than that? I'm planning to use it for long-term storage of my data and can do yearly payment.

May I suggest using ec2 with spot requests and dynamic db / s3? Not to be rude to the hosts here but a cloud provider like amazon is not cheaper outright to host hardware but if you use their cloud tools correctly it will be much cheaper.

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

Wants high performance for less than $15/mo. Hrmmmm...

OVH's public cloud high performance disks are well over 3,000 IOPS consistently but the cost of storage will be over your budget.

I would not recommend AWS due to the budget.

• BuyVM (RAID10 and/or SSD), NetCup (RAID10 SAS), Hetzner (NVMe on Cloud), HostDoc (NVMe, mostly) are good for I/O intensive workload.

For high cores and storage at low costs, NetCup is the best (HostDoc has low storage, while you'll be paying significantly more at Hetzner and BuyVM due to storage). Check out the RS 2000 and above models on NetCup.de

Thanked by 2Francisco eol
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AC_Fan said: BuyVM (RAID10 and/or SSD)

The OS drives are pure SSD.

Block storage is RAID10 spindles w/ a mountain of cache and NVME's.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

AC_Fan said: BuyVM (RAID10 and/or SSD)

The OS drives are pure SSD.

Block storage is RAID10 spindles w/ a mountain of cache and NVME's.

Francisco

Yup, I know (was following the HostBalls thread), which is why I mentioned and/or. True, forgot about the cache - but I mean, it's BuyVM. Half-assing isn't something you do.

• @rawsh said:

@liujason said:

May I suggest using ec2 with spot requests and dynamic db / s3? Not to be rude to the hosts here but a cloud provider like amazon is not cheaper outright to host hardware but if you use their cloud tools correctly it will be much cheaper.

Tried AWS with a $150 student pack, the bill is terribly high....

• Eased said: I would not recommend AWS due to the budget.

You are right. I'm now waiting for the Netcup special offer stock.

• @AC_Fan said:
    BuyVM (RAID10 and/or SSD), NetCup (RAID10 SAS), Hetzner (NVMe on Cloud), HostDoc (NVMe, mostly) are good for I/O intensive workload.

For high cores and storage at low costs, NetCup is the best (HostDoc has low storage, while you'll be paying significantly more at Hetzner and BuyVM due to storage). Check out the RS 2000 and above models on NetCup.de

You are right. I'm now waiting for the Netcup special offer stock. At the meantime, I'll see if I can build a server on my own and host it locally.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

I've recently noticed impressive write speeds on (both very new) storage KVMs from HostHatch (750 GB in Amsterdam) and CrownCloud (1 TB in Frankfurt).

@SpeedBus (CrownCloud) currently offers 1 TB for $7 monthly (with some further discount if you do a 6 month payment) with 512 MB memory, can increase RAM up to 2 GB total (add $3 monthly for that). They have good network too. And responsive, helpful support.

@Abdullah (HostHatch) had very low price in some promotions last year, now over, but certainly worth their normal price (as long as you don't depend on instantaneous support). The Amsterdam server I got has decent CPU and was doing sequential writes up to 1.4 GB/s (on a very new disk and fresh server, but still, that's promising.) HostHatch provide solid systems and network from what I've observed over the last year or so using them myself.

Also @AnthonySmith runs some reliable and performant storage servers in the UK at decent price, worth considering.

ulravps.eu is another solid provider with some affordable storage offers in Germany.

Someone may also mention Hetzner. (They are indeed a generally excellent resource for the kind of things you are looking to do).

These are all reasonably priced, quality providers - it may make good sense to adjust your budget as necessary, to whatever extent you may value your data and sanity. Good luck with your research!

• I really appreciate your reply! Thanks!

@SpeedBus (CrownCloud) currently offers 1 TB for $7 monthly (with some further discount if you do a 6 month payment) with 512 MB memory, can increase RAM up to 2 GB total (add $3 monthly for that). They have good network too. And responsive, helpful support.

Good offer but for a database server Ram and CPU is also important, that's why I'm now waiting for the Netcup stock.

@Abdullah (HostHatch) had very low price in some promotions last year, now over, but certainly worth their normal price (as long as you don't depend on instantaneous support). The Amsterdam server I got has decent CPU and was doing sequential writes up to 1.4 GB/s (on a very new disk and fresh server, but still, that's promising.) HostHatch provide solid systems and network from what I've observed over the last year or so using them myself.

Noticed, and I will check it.

ulravps.eu is another solid provider with some affordable storage offers in Germany.

I have a 2T plan for media streaming, the io is about 160 MB/s, good, but not enough.

Someone may also mention Hetzner. (They are indeed a generally excellent resource for the kind of things you are looking to do).

Hetzner is also an option, and I have registered an account, still considering. Not so sure about the maintenance work on the dedi server.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

Cool - you do well communicating relevant details, seems likely providers should be able to work with you.

I've found dedi can be often much the same as VPS in terms of ongoing sys admin tasks, and initial setup needn't be any more complicated in many cases. (And you'll want to plan for off-site backups either way, anyway ...) One probably gets better deal with VPS than from a weak dedi at €15 monthly price but that calculation changes to favor dedi often enough starting around €25. After a certain point, if you need significant CPU on a regular basis then dedi seems usually cheaper option.

Thanked by 1eol
  • rawshrawsh Member
    edited January 2019

Have you thought about building one yourself? e.g. 17$ a month for 3 years is $612.

That's easily enough to get a very high speed usb-c ssd enclosure for your laptop or even a cheap used server + a 500gb nvme ssd. Also, you could build it yourself and install ubuntu server (it's probably cheaper than this too if you deal hunt, you might be able to get a ryzen 1600 + mobo combo for cheap used).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $99.47 @ OutletPC
    Motherboard ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $63.98 @ Newegg
    Memory Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $61.98 @ Newegg
    Storage ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
    Case Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $41.99 @ Amazon
    Power Supply EVGA - BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $392.40
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-05 15:00 EST-0500

That's 4 dedicated cores with very high performance + integrated graphics + 500gb nvme with 2gbps read speeds for the same price as 2 years of hosting on netcup.

• @rawsh said:
    Have you thought about building one yourself? e.g. 17$ a month for 3 years is $612.

That's easily enough to get a very high speed usb-c ssd enclosure for your laptop or even a cheap used server + a 500gb nvme ssd. Also, you could build it yourself and install ubuntu server (it's probably cheaper than this too if you deal hunt, you might be able to get a ryzen 1600 + mobo combo for cheap used).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
    TypeItemPrice
    CPUAMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor > $99.47 @ OutletPC >
    MotherboardASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard > $63.98 @ Newegg >
    MemoryTeam - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory > $61.98 @ Newegg >
    StorageADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive > $79.99 @ Amazon >
    CaseThermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case > $41.99 @ Amazon >
    Power SupplyEVGA - BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply > $44.99 @ Amazon >
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total$392.40
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-05 15:00 EST-0500

That's 4 dedicated cores with very high performance + integrated graphics + 500gb nvme with 2gbps read speeds for the same price as 2 years of hosting on netcup.

Yes, I'm considering about it :

@liujason said:

@AC_Fan said:
    BuyVM (RAID10 and/or SSD), NetCup (RAID10 SAS), Hetzner (NVMe on Cloud), HostDoc (NVMe, mostly) are good for I/O intensive workload.

At the meantime, I'll see if I can build a server on my own and host it locally.

I have a Synology DS1517+ but the CPU is not good enough, I tried to import one of the tables into it, and the select command took more than 20s to get back. So I'm also thinking about optimizing the index or switch to the elasticserach.

• @liujason said:
    I have a Synology DS1517+ but the CPU is not good enough, I tried to import one of the tables into it, and the select command took more than 20s to get back. So I'm also thinking about optimizing the index or switch to the elasticserach.

Eek yeah that atom gonna strugle