Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Cloud / Firewall problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Cloud / Firewall problem

Hey guys,

trying Hetzner Cloud and used IPTables. It seems that they use DHCP to provision each Cloud-Instance every boot with an IP. So even though i've enabled DHCP (67,68), the instance still does not receive an IP. Without firewall, everything is smooth [..].

Any ideas?

Regards

Comments

• Cloud-Init hangs here.

• I know it works with https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Cloud_IP_static/en but if i want to keep using cloud-init there must be a way even though its not documented :)

• "enabled DHCP (67,68)" is a bit vague.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

You'll need to post your iptables rule set.

• Well, i couldnt get it running with DHCP. So i've switched to a static IP-Conf and disabled Cloudinit for each instance. IPtables is working now.

But! Same problems goes for IPv6 now. Even though i've configured everyting as static, IPv6 wont come up.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

@fLoo said:
    But! Same problems goes for IPv6 now. Even though i've configured everyting as static, IPv6 wont come up.

I got static IPv6 working (on CX11 instance from Debian 9 ISO) by specifying gateway fe80::1 in
    /etc/network/interfaces

@Letzien thanks for pointer to https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Netzkonfiguration_Debian/en which explains a bit more important details. (I had originally got it working before by referring to the /etc/network/interfaces.d/50-cloud-init.cfg file from another instance installed from Debian template, but wasn't really sure what was going on.)

EDIT2:

Still really not sure what's going on, but that's life ...

Thanked by 1eol
  • You're using your link-local as a gateway. You're saying "Just go there", kind of like when a buddy tells you about an awesome club where it's totally poppin' and you can so get laid. Yeah, Hetzner is kind of like that.

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

I see. So the firewall is like the bouncer at the club, but now I can just tell him I know the owner and I'm with the banned so please just drop everything and go fetch some magnum condoms for my monster dong.

EDIT2: Is it really that simple? This changes everything!

EDIT3: Instructions unclear - dick stuck in router, please advise.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @uptime said:

You should have kept the WRT54G; it's more your size.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@uptime said:

Dick setup guide for routers

Most routers come with Dick Storage capabilities. With these, you can easily share your photos, music, documents, and even printer within the network.

This article will help you set up and share your Dick storage device through your wireless router.

Basic requirements before you begin:

IMPORTANT: To avoid errors, check your router’s compatibility with the Dick storage device first.

NOTE: Check firmware releases for updated dick file system support of your router.

QUICK TIP: There is no device installation required since Dick storage drives are plug and play devices. It should be automatically detected once connected to the Dick port on the router.
    • Your router must already be configured and is working properly.
    • Your Dick storage device should be directly connected to the router’s Dick port.

IMPORTANT: Always click on the Safely Remove Dick button before disconnecting your Dick storage device while the router is powered ON. This will help prevent data loss and possible damage.

EDIT2:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

Okay, I walked right into that one I guess.

EDIT2: just like I walked right into that ipv6 club i just roll up and start dropping packets imma make it rain ipv6 til the sun comes up

Thanked by 2eol Letzien
  • Thanked by 2uptime eol