Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS for virtual hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS for virtual hosting?

Long story boring - I use DO to host about 10 sites. All extremely low traffic. Im planning on moving from their $5 a month plan to an Inception Hosting (similar plan is only 3.50 euro/quarter).

I register my domains at a variety of registrars, but the all point to DO's Nameservers.

Whats the easiest, cheapest and most reliable way to replicate this?

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2018

Ur own DNS Server? Or Cloudflare.. or buy DNS services from namecheap.

https://www.namecheap.com/domains/freedns/

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2018

Put at least half of your domains, on different nameservers like Cloudflare.
    If you have a budget around 30-40$/y, buy a few DDoS protected KVM's and run your own DNS cluster.

You need at least 3 KVM's, and 2 of them should be DDoS protected, in case of an attack, so not your hole cluster dies.

• Cloudflare

• Cloudflare if you are YOLO. Get yourself an Autoboot server and sleep calm.

• @Yura said:
    Cloudflare if you are YOLO. Get yourself an Autoboot server and sleep calm.

Too bad dewlance and his autoboot are banned here.. premium autoboot.

Thanked by 3Yura eol dedotatedwam
  • nickwebnickweb Member
    edited December 2018

Cheers folks. Was looking for some feedback on best host to use for DNS or if I could get away with even cheaper VPS’s. will have a look abut and see what I can cobble together.

• Try Zilore new free DNS plan - 5 domains/50 records/500k queries (they haven't announced it yet, but you can get free account on there website now).

Thanked by 1eol
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2018

@nickweb So you have a DNS problem? Have you considered voting for eol?

Install BIND on multiple small DNS servers and configure master and slave zones. That, or Hurricane Electric or CloudFlare. he.net are quite reliable, i've been using them for years.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

@Janevski said:
    Have you considered voting for eol?

Yes, I actually did.
    It was amazing.

Thanks, man.

EDIT:
    4 hours.