Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fastest remote desktop over Localhost on Linux ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The fastest remote desktop over Localhost on Linux ?

yokowasisyokowasis Member
edited December 2018 in General

I've got MIPAD 4. it's specification is great for a tablet. But doesn't matter how good the hardware, you really can't replace a pc with a mobile OS, i mean look at ipad pro

So, I decided to deploy a Real Desktop OS with Real Desktop Software. I decided to go ubuntu and install the usual stuff. You know, chrome, libre office inkscape, gimp, vscode. They all works well, but the framerate is a little bit slow.

I have tried vnc and X11. Any alternative to make it go faster. By faster I mean the framerate. The apps all opening and processing stuff just fine, just like in the pc.

nb : I am using Linux Deploy on Play Store. I believe it use somekind of openvz / lxc thing to make it work.

Thanked by 1inklight

Comments

• rsyncsrsyncs Member
    edited December 2018

If you're fine with aarch64, try AnLinux or equivalent scripts on Termux. It uses proot which could be faster than Linux Deploy.

Here you can find a guide to setup Ubuntu with VNC on Termux.

• @rsyncs said:
    If you're fine with aarch64, try AnLinux or equivalent scripts on Termux. It uses proot which could be faster than Linux Deploy.

I look into it, it uses the same protocol (vnc). I fail to see how it will give me a difference fps.

• TigerVNC works for me.

• @yokowasis said:

@rsyncs said:

I look into it, it uses the same protocol (vnc). I fail to see how it will give me a difference fps.

It uses a different technology to run the distro. You won't find anything much faster than VNC.

• @eol said:
    TigerVNC works for me.

I don't think it's available for android

• @rsyncs said:

@yokowasis said:

@rsyncs said:

It uses a different technology to run the distro. You won't find anything much faster than VNC.

I tried it. Neat solution for those who doesn't have root. In term of performance, I can hardly see any difference between chroot vs proot.

• Install NoMachine in Ubuntu and then use the NoMachine Android App to connect to it and see if thats any faster.

• I'm not entirely sure, but have you considered that the reason for the low frame rate might be the poor graphics performance of the tablet? You could try disabling compositing on whatever window manager you are using.

This is from my experience of using XRDP on a VPS without a graphics card.

• @lowendusername said:
    I'm not entirely sure, but have you considered that the reason for the low frame rate might be the poor graphics performance of the tablet? You could try disabling compositing on whatever window manager you are using.

This is from my experience of using XRDP on a VPS without a graphics card.

My tablet has a powerful graphic card. As in low fps I don't mean it's very low fps. It can do 30++ fps just fine. I just wanted to get higher.

• @JoeMerit said:
    Install NoMachine in Ubuntu and then use the NoMachine Android App to connect to it and see if thats any faster.

Tried it. The server can't even start.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2018

I used to use X2Go which was pretty good.

@rsyncs said:

VNC is actually pretty slow, particularly over high latency connections. Try comparing VNC and RDP to a Windows machine - RDP is significantly better in terms of responsiveness. Doing the initial Windows Server setup for a KVM VPS over VNC is painful, I always look forward to enabling RDP and getting rid of VNC.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2018

Daniel15 said: comparing VNC and RDP to a Windows machine

VNC on Windows works in a very inefficient way, by copying bitmap regions which are already drawn on screen. RDP is much more low-level than that. There's a way to speed up VNC by install a specific display driver, but that needs to be done separately and it does not always work.

On Linux it's the other way round, Xvnc is a special X server which draws directly into the VNC protocol (and doesn't have any local display to begin with), whereas RDP on Linux is "produced" by wrapping it around VNC (and Xvnc) under the hood.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • On Linux it's the other way round, Xvnc is a special X server which draws directly into the VNC protocol (and doesn't have any local display to begin with), whereas RDP on Linux is "produced" by wrapping it around VNC (and Xvnc) under the hood.

This hasn't been the case for a long time (although it took a while for Debian/Ubuntu to catch up). My preferred way of remoting is now XRDP with RemoteFX and the xorgxrdp backend.

• In the title, is "localhost" supposed to be "local LAN"? Localhost has a specific meaning and wouldn't make much sense.

• I think the problem is wireless and/or your tablet.
    When I use TigerVNC and a cheap lagtop outside (to remote into the workstation inside) and good old copper the speed/responsiveness is close to native.

• @TimboJones said:
    In the title, is "localhost" supposed to be "local LAN"? Localhost has a specific meaning and wouldn't make much sense.

No. It's localhost. As in 127.0.0.1. I was installing A desktop OS on top of my Android using chroot / proot.

So latency , or lan or wireless or internet speed have nothing to do with it.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:
    In the title, is "localhost" supposed to be "local LAN"? Localhost has a specific meaning and wouldn't make much sense.

No. It's localhost. As in 127.0.0.1. I was installing A desktop OS on top of my Android using chroot / proot.

You've lost me on what you're trying to do. 127.0.0.1 will be it's own OS, not the wtf is "on top". But whatever, we'll agree on "same machine". Someone already mentioned nomachine, so that would have been my advice.

Good luck with your remote.

• @TimboJones said:

As far as I understand it now...
    it isn't even actually remote.

• @eol said:

@TimboJones said:

Yes, it's not even remote because it's on the same machine. I am using the term remote because that's what's the app is called. e.g. Remote Desktop Client

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

You've lost me on what you're trying to do. 127.0.0.1 will be it's own OS, not the wtf is "on top". But whatever, we'll agree on "same machine". Someone already mentioned nomachine, so that would have been my advice.

The machine has 2 os (Android + Ubuntu), running at the same time, sharing the same resource, IP, Internet connection, kernel, etc. Including the localhost / 127.0.0.1.

Maybe this will make more sense :
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-ubuntu-on-android-linux-deploy/

tried nomachine, for some reason, the service refuse to start.

• or better, Install GIMP / Inkscape from playstore. It's basically the same, except it'll be using XServer Forwarder

• Take a screenshot every second then create a powerpoint presentation.
    EZ.

• Thanks but no thanks.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @yokowasis said:

@eol said:

@TimboJones said:

Yes, it's not even remote because it's on the same machine. I am using the term remote because that's what's the app is called. e.g. Remote Desktop Client

@TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:

@TimboJones said:

The machine has 2 os (Android + Ubuntu), running at the same time, sharing the same resource, IP, Internet connection, kernel, etc. Including the localhost / 127.0.0.1.

Maybe this will make more sense :
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-ubuntu-on-android-linux-deploy/

tried nomachine, for some reason, the service refuse to start.

Strange. Might need to run a netstat tool to verify the port is listening to connect to.