Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cloudatcost storage $2/100GB one time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cloudatcost storage $2/100GB one time

loydloyd Member
edited December 2018 in General

We all know CAC is a shady one. But services I got in 2014 still work and they did not deadpool.

They have $2 holiday sale for 100GB storage, VPN and basic webhosting. Its less than hamburger and then you just have it.

The storage is web based so may seem useless at first and they had notice FTP coming soon for quite some time, so I am not holding my breath. However you can automate with little curl magic, e.g::

Login:
curl -sL -c cac.cookies -d 'username=loyd%40mail.tld&password=mypass&submit=' https://download.cloudatcost.com/user/manage-check.php | grep "Welcome Loyd"

Upload:
curl -sL -b cac.cookies -F 'days=' -F 'downloads=' -F 'password=filepassword' -F 'file=ATmylocalfile; filename="myfile"' https://download.cloudatcost.com/upload.php

List:
curl -sL -b cac.cookies https://download.cloudatcost.com/user/uploaded_files.php | grep -Po '<tr data-filecode=".*?/tr>' | sed -n 's/<tr data-filecode="\([^"]*\)"><td>\([0-9]*\)<\/td><td>\([^<]*\).*/\1 \3/p'

Logout:
curl -sL -b cac.cookies https://download.cloudatcost.com/user/logout.php

Download:
curl -sLd 'nopassword=1' https://download.cloudatcost.com/download/fileid
or
curl -sLd 'password=filepassword' https://download.cloudatcost.com/download/fileid

Note: notice the https in the download command. User panel gives HTTP link, which will not work with the one-liner, need to be changed to https:. Another thing, I just noticed that @ has been breaking the markdown, so you need one before mylocalfile

From my CAC VPS getting steady 100Mbps, from Toronto about 3MB/s and from California approx 300kB/s, so not very usable from far away.

Comments

• scam
    Don't use their service.

• loydloyd Member
    edited December 2018

@tonyapac said:

scam
    Don't use their service.

Scam is a strong word. Their IPv4 is as good as anybody else's.

Thanked by 1flipchan
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Nothing but problems with CAC, tried a couple times and it's always been shit.

For budget storage I'd go with @KuJoe if your storage needs are pretty modest: https://backupdragon.com/

• Good luck with your luck.

• No.

• Data integrity is optional. Don't suggest.

• It's good for the price. I usually only use when I need to share some files with my friends though.

• Yearly fee would be too high. Not worth the price for that service.

• slackcrowslackcrow Member
    edited December 2018

msg7086 said: Yearly fee would be too high. Not worth the price for that service.

I don't think there is an annual fee for this service. I think that's for their cloud vps service only.

• where to sign up?

• Thanked by 1eol
  • OK guy, CAC has been not deadpooled...
    However, their servers that host my VMs were down and/or network unreachable many many times.
    I cancelled all my VMs with them when they began to charge "maintenance fees".

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2018

My $2 storage has been idle for years, as the FTP provision has never materialised.
    Idling WHM Reseller: Load Averages: 150.65 143.22 134.61
    Developer VPSes inactive since maintenance cost came into force.
    CAC=cack!

Then along came LET and my little 'free' funds got spent elsewhere. :-|

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its a mystery, how the fuck, did they not deadpool yet.
    Needs to be Josh again.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint ehab
  • they are better than hiformance !

• loydloyd Member
    edited December 2018

$2 storage works. Probably wont use it, but had $2 worth of fun working out those curl/sed macros in op

$2 VPN is reasonable, maxed my 40/10 connection. 12 IPs for one-time $2 is not bad, may use for a web scrapping project that is coming up.

$2 web hosting is totally unusable. exec("top -bn1", $output, $status); print_r($output); shows memory is fine (7g used out of 32g), but CPU load is 240 and 3 top accounts own half of 1000+ processes. Most blatant one is running cnrig.

• I am waiting for them to start charge some stupid "account maintenance" fee once they get enough clients on board...they played that trick before with their one-time payment VPS

• In what bizarro world is an offer like this sustainable? Come on people stop being sheeples and use some of the brains you had when you were six years old.

• @slackcrow said:

msg7086 said: Yearly fee would be too high. Not worth the price for that service.

I don't think there is an annual fee for this service. I think that's for their cloud vps service only.

I think people had thought the same before they got charged for the lifetime VPS service.

• loydloyd Member
    edited December 2018

@AuroraZ said:
    In what bizarro world is an offer like this sustainable? Come on people stop being sheeples and use some of the brains you had when you were six years old.

So unsustainable, they built shiny new datacenter right beside University of Waterloo and call it DataCity.ca

How is this profitable? Not directly, but my understanding is CAC is a testbed for their production platform. People who understand what it is, still continue using it as such. Most companies hire their testers, while CAC sells dirt cheap service, calls it Developer Cloud and ends up being paid by their testers. Small fraction of customers who remain after testing is done gets shoved into a backroom rack. Cost of 100GB in 2008 was $30, today is about $3, in 10 yrs those persistent ones who still remain from original program will be hosted on a wrist-watch or smartphone. Quite ingenious.

• These are the same guys that tried to charge again for the lifetime VPSs they sold right?

Thanked by 1default
  • @loyd said:

@AuroraZ said:
    In what bizarro world is an offer like this sustainable? Come on people stop being sheeples and use some of the brains you had when you were six years old.

So unsustainable, they built shiny new datacenter right beside University of Waterloo and call it DataCity.ca

How is this profitable? Not directly, but my understanding is CAC is a testbed for their production platform. People who understand what it is, still continue using it as such. Most companies hire their testers, while CAC sells dirt cheap service, calls it Developer Cloud and ends up being paid by their testers. Small fraction of customers who remain after testing is done gets shoved into a backroom rack. Cost of 100GB in 2008 was $30, today is about $3, in 10 yrs those persistent ones who still remain from original program will be hosted on a wrist-watch or smartphone. Quite ingenious.

IDGAF if they have ten data centers. It is not SUSTAINABLE period.

OVH, Hetnzer, would never do such a thing and why you ask? It is not SUSTAINABLE. When you buy this shit you enable others to think that it will be OK. Guess what Sherlock it won't be OK.

abat said: These are the same guys that tried to charge again for the lifetime VPSs they sold right?

Yes they claimed it was a Maintenance fee, and tried to get people to pay. If I could I would picket for cloud at cost to be banned from here and anyone else bringing this bullshit to the front banned as well.

• AuroraZ said: Yes they claimed it was a Maintenance fee, and tried to get people to pay. If I could I would picket for cloud at cost to be banned from here and anyone else bringing this bullshit to the front banned as well.

It's just $9/yr. I don't know why people are all raged about that.

Thanked by 1loyd
  • I had a Cloudatcost VPS two years ago. I did not care about the less-than-60% uptime; the price justifies that. However, it is not acceptable that they even oversold their IP addresses, making their VPS not usable at all.

• How are they still alive...

• loydloyd Member
    edited December 2018

@AuroraZ said:

Aaaaw, you think if you finish sentence with period it will make it true :smiley: Ironic, but sooo cuuute :wink:

Unless you are a dude, then its just ridiculous

• @muffin said:
    How are they still alive...

Great question!

• @dedipromo said:
    I had a Cloudatcost VPS two years ago. I did not care about the less-than-60% uptime; the price justifies that. However, it is not acceptable that they even oversold their IP addresses, making their VPS not usable at all.

What do you mean by oversold their IP addresses? If the subnet is out of spare IP's, you keep reimaging it until you do. Just get the second IP added as soon as server built.

• @loyd said:

@AuroraZ said:

Aaaaw, you think if you finish sentence with period it will make it true :smiley: Ironic, but sooo cuuute :wink:

Unless you are a dude, then its just ridiculous

Everyone is a dude on this site. There's rumours of a Katie at Hetzner, but she's really a member in name only as she is PR. And, I haven't seen pics, so still could be a dude. Not like minorly famous NCIX's Esther, where she could be verified in person as both hot and a chick.

• loydloyd Member
    edited December 2018

Yay, there is support! Checked today and although my heads up about mining not replied, uptime is now 3 days and heavy users disappeared. Load is now around 30 on 16 cores. There is little hesitation when loading from, but once it goes its reasonable - upload 10~25MB/s, download 5~12MB/s, write 20~100MB/s and read 50~700MB/s.

Would not use this for public or client's site, but its a development resource. If it becomes unusable and host ignores my ticket, I simply remove it from my list of half dozen.

Btw. my newest go-to for public sites is BuyShared.

Thanked by 1Francisco