Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nova or meta? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

nova or meta?

2»

Comments

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

metadedi is nicer to me.

• Interesting,...
    "Nova meta" is a very common term that means "new target" in Portuguese (from Latin)...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@ben47955 said:
    metanova

Deep mindfuck.

@YellowHummingbird said:
    I’m curious if this was promoted by someone from Incero seeing the comment in this thread. Either way, it seems like a nice gesture and a return to a more professional attitude.

Personally, I think both names work well. Novadedi/metadedi is useful and well made - so much so that I think any reasonable name would work fine, because the name doesn’t matter much compared to how good the project is.

A few days before, the Incero got bought thing went public, Ryan came up to me with the domain.

66% is meta enough.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • gksgks Member
    edited December 2018

All the best and congrats getting the domain back @Neoon

meta is better. meta is close to metal servers.

nowadays, after cloud providers, dedis often described as bare-metal servers, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bare-metal_server, you may consider a name similar through.

A quick feedback:

I think, the price per tb, price per 1k, price per GB may confuse the first time visitors, brain scan the configuration and price faster than realizing price per xyz columns.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@mikhail said:
    Interesting,...
    "Nova meta" is a very common term that means "new target" in Portuguese (from Latin)...

Or new goal. Yep

• meet-a-dedi.com

Click here to meet with hot idle dedis in your area.

• I don't recall where "meta" came from, but it would be better to be metaldedi.com. Bare metal dedicated server is a thing, "meta server" is not.

Thanked by 1eol
    edited December 2018

@TimboJones said:

I don't recall where "meta" came from, but it would be better to be metaldedi.com. Bare metal dedicated server is a thing, "meta server" is not.

Jesus maria cloud christ, cloud is the same shit slang as bare metal.
    A server is a server, a VM is a VM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3kfl67/what_the_fuck_does_meta_mean/

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Neoon said:

@TimboJones said:

I don't recall where "meta" came from, but it would be better to be metaldedi.com. Bare metal dedicated server is a thing, "meta server" is not.

Jesus maria cloud christ, cloud is the same shit slang as bare metal.
    A server is a server, a VM is a VM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3kfl67/what_the_fuck_does_meta_mean/

Cloud? I'm talking about how "meta" is not a good choice.

Cloud is definitely not slang for bare metal. There's no case I can think of where you can interchange "cloud" and "bare metal" and mean the same thing. It's usually OR.

And the link you posted was just a big confusing argument on what meta means. This would be reason not to use meta.

All I'll say, is that people who say meta in real life (without trying to be ironic funny) tend to be douches. Just think of someone who said "meta" twice in the same conversation and whether you thought they were an idiot.

• @TimboJones said:

edited December 2018

@TimboJones said:
    And the link you posted was just a big confusing argument on what meta means. This would be reason not to use meta.

All I'll say, is that people who say meta in real life (without trying to be ironic funny) tend to be douches. Just think of someone who said "meta" twice in the same conversation and whether you thought they were an idiot.

The Link explains it good, you can see a context here "metaDedi".
    Meta stays in context with Dedi => "Dedicated"

metaDedi is referring about dedicated servers, particularly the best for your budget.
    The context always matters.

People do no even know what OVH means, no one even asked it before.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Neoon said:

Well, I had to found explanation for it. :smiley:
    Here are the results:

Acronym Definition
    OVH Ovariohysterectomy
    OVH Ohjevähittäishinta (Finnish: suggested retail price)
    OVH Opnieuw Verbeterde Holle (Dutch: Improved Hollow Again; tiles)
    OVH Online Virtual Hosting
    OVH Oregon Veterans' Home
    OVH Ottawa Veterinary Hospital (Canada)

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OVH

Thanked by 1eol
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited December 2018

caca

Thanked by 23606202 eol
  • I just typed nova in a new tab subconsciously after thinking about "finding dedicated servers". I vote for nova, just because it's already ingrained in my head

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Neoon said:

metaDedi is referring about dedicated servers, particularly the best for your budget.

Don't argue with him. Most of his posts are argumentative. Just ignore him. If I could hide his posts without losing the conversation context I would.

• the meta is always shift. stick with the nova

• KETAAAAAA dedi

• Monadedi

• All you can host buffeT.

Thanked by 1eol
  • novadedi sounds good

• Dediwoot

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • @wtfcook said:

@Neoon said:

Don't argue with him. Most of his posts are argumentative. Just ignore him. If I could hide his posts without losing the conversation context I would.

Fuck you. If you can't handle a little argument, get the fuck off the Internet. FFS, this is a discussion forum.

It's a fucking thread asking for our opinions. Opinions are useless without reasoning. Feel free to skip my posts, though.

Just to make my final point, let me know three providers selling bare metal servers and calling them "Meta Servers". My point was it's not obvious. They are not interchangeable to even people in tech industry.

• @TimboJones said:
    Fuck you.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

lowendmeta

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Neometanovadedi

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

TimboJones said: If you can't handle a little argument, get the fuck off the Internet.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited December 2018

The name I came up with was better than either nova or meta.

Thanked by 1eol
This discussion has been closed.