Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sparkvps.com Woe, Woe and Thrice Woe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sparkvps.com Woe, Woe and Thrice Woe

JohnnyC1951JohnnyC1951 Member
edited December 2018 in Reviews

I ordered 3 sparks. The performance was fantastic. They were 100% reliable. I was amazed. For 3 weeks.

Then all three sparks had long outages of typically 3 hours every day. Months later, they continue to do that. Every day.

I have raised literally dozens of tickets. They love cut and paste replies and consider that dealt with. On each ticket thread, at some point, the answer is to upgrade. Even when its a tiny LAMP server website.

Here is the latest and my reply:
(This is one of their cut 'n paste responses to a complex question)
Hi, Kindly let us know the exact issue. We will check it further. Regards, xxxx yyyy - Systems Administrator

For what purpose? I already offered help. It was ignored. It remains unstable. I am not threatening to move server hosting, I already did it on two sparks.
I will move the last one and that will be the end of that.

These are the key clues.
ALL THREE SPARKS go unreachable at the same time.
ALL THREE SPARKS recover at the same time.
Each time you blame one of MY sparks, whichever one i raise a ticket on.
You have accused me, at different times, of running CPU at 100% when it was 15%

Conclusions.
The screw-up is at Host-Level not Client-Level.
You do not know how to fix it.
I think you may have a rogue or just busy process on one or more VPS. EG Malware and the Hyper-visor is not handling it (not throttling, resource balancing etc. The usual stuff that should be done. ).
It's not on mine , I checked them all using CLAM and 2 of them have no running apps at all, the last one is a simple LAMP server.
This is an unreliable platform and unfit for purpose.

When I have arranged new hosting, I shall remove the last spark.

Comments

• A bright spark would avoid such hosts to begin with.

Thanked by 1eol
  • JohnnyC1951JohnnyC1951 Member
    edited December 2018

Lesson learned. Guilty as charged. That will teach me to ignore offers promoted here by the website, won't it!

Thanked by 2dahartigan tcp6
    edited December 2018

I think it is just a training issue. I did offer. Fantastic performance for 21 hours a day doesn't do it. So close but no cigar.

• rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited December 2018

@JohnnyC1951 said:
    Then all three sparks had long outages of typically 3 hours every day. Months later, they continue to do that. Every day.

You're not alone. I haven't done anything with my VPS but have put it under monitoring. Same thing. It goes offline at least once per week. The latest was today:

(root) [~]: uptime
    00:38:16 up 5:28, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Nodes go down all the time. I'll never put something worthwhile on this server. Never bothered to open a ticket, since it does come back up. But still.

edited December 2018

I have a monitoring job pinging them every 10 mins. I find it is almost every day and usually in the UK afternoon. A radio station that goes awol for 1/8th of the day is a disaster. 99% uptime my ass.

• Even servers need a

Thanked by 1eol
  • Transporting TCP packets using Paco's Donkey is even less reliable than damp string.

• It really is a shame. Mostly it is amazing but something is wrong and it is almost certainly something simple. But They refuse free offers of help. I would like to get whatever platform & deal these guys are using. It's just a config issue and solvable.

• Time and time again it has been proven that buying anything that's at colocrossing is a bad idea, especially if promoted on LEB. With the possible exception of virmach.

• Lots of inference there. Thanks.

• I'm wondering why the same nodes are always down at the same time, daily routine to reset the mainframe?

• It doesnt take 2 hours to reset a host

• It is simple. They are all on the same OVZ host

• Their (Cut & paste) reply just now:

John,

Our administration staff would be better equipped to assist you with this inquiry.

At this time, I am forwarding this request to our administration office. Please note that the admin office is staffed during normal business hours. They will update you as soon as possible.

Regards,

• Have they more clue than the techies? I do hope so

• You need to post more details on when they fail. You mentioned you have dozens of tickets, that' should have tons of info.

Also, can you reach them over VNC when they fail? If so, it could be a router or switch problem. If the panel can't talk to the server, then it's a host problem.

If problems are properly reported and detailed, there's no way this should continue on like this. Something doesn't smell right.

edited December 2018

When they fail, they are unreachable any method inc ssh and vnc. You cannot even reboot it from the panel. The panels' status says 'unreachable', for all three, at the same time. They offered a refund, this evening.

• I hav got 1 6GB Ram and 1 Reseller of 6GB from them. My experience is quite bad.

On 6GB Ram they twice suspended account claiming high CPU usage wher as it was just 10-20% average . Didnot spiked even above 50% for more than 1 min. Only when i asked them to refund than they stopped suspending.

Also most of the nodes on Reseller VPS goes down every few hours. Cannot use them for any project.

Beware :)

Thanked by 1eol
    edited December 2018

Ditto. Exactly the same. As I had three I could compare them in real time. It seems all nodes on that server go down at the same time and recover at the same time. One 'support' guy said I should keep my cpu below 5%, yes 5%.