Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best OVH Datacenter to connect Russia, and east of Europe, Asia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best OVH Datacenter to connect Russia, and east of Europe, Asia

Like title says, I go to rent a server in ovh, I need they have a very good peering to russia, Ukraine, China, etc I was thinking in Strasbourg or Warsaw, What do you think?

Comments

• Warsaw
    Forget China
    All OVH DCs are too slow to China
    Cheapest solution to have acceptable connection to China is proxying with Cloudflare

• @Chocoweb said:
    Warsaw
    Forget China
    Cheapest solution to have acceptable connection to China is proxying with Cloudflare

Thanks for replying!!

How is warsaw is good? I mean in terms of stability...

• SBG was meant for east europe and asia out of the three in france.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited December 2018

@Chocoweb said:
    Warsaw
    Forget China

I disagree, because most russians ISPs are reached via frankfurt from OVH, so you have Warsaw -> Frankfurt -> Russia.
    So i would say go with the DC in Frankfurt for russian audience, that is even better than their SBG DC.

• Have a lot of servers in SBG1 and SBG2, get great peering to China, India and Japan.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Sorry for offtop, do they offer vps / cloud servers in RBX?
    You can order a server in RBX from ovhcloud com

• @sunnyg said:
    Have a lot of servers in SBG1 and SBG2, get great peering to China, India and Japan.

I think RBX is the best location. Tracerts hit rbx first, then go to London, SBG

• Do not listen anyone who offer Poland location. It has awful peering for long time, and it will never resolved. Also, don't listen people who talk about Germany Hosting, it's bad too, because traffic again goes though RBX or SBG.

For great latency for CIS countries you need to host your server ideally in SBG, but RBX will be good too.

Thanked by 2rm_ tsoft
  • @desperand said:
    Poland

Good pings to Russian, worst to the rest of the world.

RBX is perfect for CIS. However, I can't figure out if I could get a VPS in the same location...

• So, rbx or sbg...???

• @Hd89 said:
    So, rbx or sbg...???

For Russia & CIS - RBX, for the Middle East and North Africa - SBG.

But keep in mind, they do not provide VPS in RBX location.

• @Hd89 said:
    So, rbx or sbg...???

If its to the East of France: SBG, if its to the North of France: RBX

• @sunnyg said:
    If its to the East of France: SBG, if its to the North of France: RBX

Sometimes I get pings to SBG around 60-80 ms from Egypt and Saudi Arabia. Probably it goes by land.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2018

RBX is for nordics and baltics, SBG for asia, middle east and russia. Theres no passthrough to russia from north europe/baltics so don't choose RBX unless the audience lives in north russian territory. OVH is not using c-lion submarine cable that connects finland with russia.

• @stefeman said:
    RBX is for nordics and baltics, SBG for asia, middle east and russia. Theres no passthrough to russia from north europe/baltics so don't choose RBX unless the audience lives in north russian territory. OVH is not using c-lion submarine cable that connects finland with russia.

So, I chose sbg?

• @Hd89 said:

@stefeman said:

So, I chose sbg?

Ideally you'd rent a server from each of those locations, Russia, Ukraine, China or somehow have a person there typing "ping" command to each of the OVH looking glass IPs to compare which OVH location gives best ping, as for the peering/download speeds, that can be tested with iperf3 test.

If my target was china and it must be OVH, I would go with Singapore location, if russia and ukraine is equally important, then SBG would be my choice. SBG will not be too much better to china than RBX and GRA, but theres still noticeable difference though.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2018

OVH has funny routing overall. Usually optimized for... OVH ;)

Why not take a VPS in both Strasburg and Warsaw each and check first hand how things work for you? Then make an informed decision instead of listening to generalizations like "Have a lot of servers in SBG1 and SBG2, get great peering to China, India and Japan" or offtopic like "Sometimes I get pings to SBG around 60-80 ms from Egypt and Saudi Arabia. Probably it goes by land" :(

• I agree.
    First hand experience > everything else.

• @eol said:
    I agree.

You'll go blind.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @CyberMonday said:

@eol said:
    I agree.

You'll go blind.

I don't think so.

• @eol said:

@CyberMonday said:

@eol said:
    I agree.

You'll go blind.

I don't think so.

..and your wallet will cry.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @CyberMonday said:

@eol said:

@CyberMonday said:

@eol said:
    I agree.

You'll go blind.

I don't think so.

LOL.
    Maybe.
    But I know the truth.

• @eol said:

@CyberMonday said:

@eol said:

@CyberMonday said:

@eol said:
    I agree.

You'll go blind.

I don't think so.

LOL.
    Maybe.
    But I know the truth.

The truth is nigh.

Thanked by 1eol
  • tsofttsoft Member
    edited December 2018

@aglodek said:
    or offtopic like :(

Ok, without example it is hard to understand:

Router: gin-jsd-tcore1
    Site: SA, Jeddah, JSD
    Command: traceroute inet4 sbg.lg.ovh.net as-number-lookup

traceroute to sbg.lg.ovh.net (167.114.235.250), 30 hops max, 52 byte packets
    1 if-xe-11-0-0-10.tcore2.wyn-marseille.as6453.net (195.219.167.110) 70.565 ms 65.780 ms 66.168 ms
    MPLS Label=317291 CoS=0 TTL=1 S=1
    2 if-ae-2-2.tcore1.wyn-marseille.as6453.net (80.231.217.1) 58.764 ms 59.444 ms 58.651 ms
    MPLS Label=338510 CoS=0 TTL=1 S=1
    3 if-ae-8-1600.tcore1.pye-paris.as6453.net (80.231.217.6) 58.279 ms 58.322 ms 58.229 ms
    MPLS Label=299975 CoS=0 TTL=1 S=1
    4 if-ae-11-2.tcore1.pvu-paris.as6453.net (80.231.153.49) 67.364 ms 72.111 ms 65.008 ms

As you can see, tracert from Saudi Arabia to OVH Stragbourg took around 65 ms.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2018

@tsoft said:

@aglodek said:
    or offtopic like :(

Ok, without example it is hard to understand...

As you can see, tracert from Saudi Arabia to OVH Stragbourg took around 65 ms.

Thanks, interesting (to me at least), except... how is all that relevant to OP's request: I need they have a very good peering to russia, Ukraine, China, etc... ;)

• @aglodek said:
    to russia, Ukraine, China, etc..._ ;)

Asia includes Saudi Arabia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

Just a Kangaroo in the snow in Austria. So its true!!

• I don't care saudi, I care more Russia and all eastern Europe...

But how is goin whit Western Europe Strasbourg?