Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small home network with server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small home network with server?

JohnBJohnB Member

Hello,

I have a BTHomeHub3 (Link) as my home router. It allows me to assign 1 static IP Address to each device attached to the router (WIFI/Ethernet)

I am unable to get static IP's. I currently have a home server, which is running Ubuntu and is connected vie an ethernet cable, so:

Server - Cable - Router (1 Internal IP Address Assigned)
Laptop - WIFI - Router can access that IP And use VNC/SSH Rather than connect directly to the server using a monitor/keyboard.

On the home server i want to install Oracle VM VirtualBox So i can make some VM's (Centos/Debian/Windows) For testing purposes. I would like to assign each VM an internal static IP Address, so when i SSH to the IP Address to the running VM It feels like i'm actually connected to the server and i can have multiple VM's/IP's running at the same time.

So i can assign more IP's to the one main server please recommend me a new (Cheap!) Router, also do i need a switch? So its:

Server > Cable > Switch > Cable > Router
Laptop > WIFI > Router

Thanks

Comments

• you don't need a new router, if it's virtualbox then try a different network setting for your vm, the setting that I'm using for mine is under "bridged adapter".. also if your routers ip is say 192.168.0.1 then you should give your server something like 192.168.0.2-254 not 192.168.1.2.

• talsittalsit Member
    edited October 2013

@JohnB it looks like it's a pretty standard modem router. Can you access an admin page on the router (usually something like 192.168.3.1 or something), that would give you the ability to limit the range of IPs that DHCP offers.

If your network is small enough, pick higher numbers in the range (192.168.3.250 for example) and assign static IPs to your VMs from inside the VM, then you should be able to access them via SSH, HTTP, etc (as long as a server to accept those connections is on and configured on the VM.) In my limited experience, most routers will start assigning IPs from the lower part of their available range first so, unless you have 256 devices attaching at once, this should/might work.

• @JohnB static IPs are assigned by you, you don't get them from your router other than following the same IP scheme. If you have things set for DHCP or dynamic IP then your issue could be your VM NIC is not bridged.

If you want things static then login to the router exclude a range of IPs you wish to statically assign to your VMs this could be any RFC 1918 space and should match your router IP scheme as well. For VirtualBox, in settings change your NIC to bridge mode for the VMs and you should be good to go. If your broadband router has built in wifi then you should not have to configure anything extra.