Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ticketing system
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ticketing system

LeviLevi Member
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello,

Currently writing my own billing system (PHP) and now came to support module. I have a question what would be the best practice to pipe emails. I mean how to identify received email and add it to the ticket? My thoughts is to implement one of these:

• Add some sort of UID to the subject of the message;
  • Add reply-to with [email protected] message box which will correspond to a specific ticket;

Comments

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

No doubt you have a lot of free time. Why would you..

• armandorg said: No doubt you have a lot of free time. Why would you..

Indeed, but that's not a topic at the moment :)

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • reditredit Member, Host Rep

Most go for the UID in the subject line as its easier to do and if you were to do it on the reply address you would then have to assume that you or the end user would have a catch all address setup for that domain otherwise it would get bounced.
    With the UID in the subject line you know what you are looking for and can just match the subject line up to your database table.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@redit said:
    Most go for the UID in the subject line as its easier to do and if you were to do it on the reply address you would then have to assume that you or the end user would have a catch all address setup for that domain otherwise it would get bounced.
    With the UID in the subject line you know what you are looking for and can just match the subject line up to your database table.

+1 here

No way is perfect, every method you can possibly imagine will have an edge case that pisses off one out of 10,000 people. Best effort here is important, don’t spend too much time over thinking it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I would match the UID in the subject and the sender's e-mail address(es) to make sure they are the owner of the ticket/account to avoid spam or phishing attempts.

• reditredit Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe in an ideal world I would agree with you.
    However, what if the email was originally created from a group address and then replied to from your personal address.
    Two options either bounce the eMail back or change the matching to the domain and the UID.
    Again over thinking but just trying to think of all possible future issues.

• I would use a catch-all pop box on a subdomain {GUID}@tickets.domain.com

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@redit the software should allow for multiple users and thus multiple e-mail addresses. Problem solved. :)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

You're writing a billing system, not a ticket system. So for tickets, I'd suggest just integrating an existing solution like request-tracker with your software. For request-tracker, there's a PHP client library here: https://github.com/dersam/RTPHPLib

Thanked by 1Levi
  • support+{GUID}@domain.com

• @perennate massive thank you for link! That lib is a monster.