Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feasibility of Mysql Cluster / Mysql Replication on a LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feasibility of Mysql Cluster / Mysql Replication on a LEB

upfreakupfreak Member
edited February 2012 in General

Hi, I have a few questions on this..

1. Any one has tried / using mysql cluster server on a LEB. If yes ram and space requirements please
  2. Can it be used as a drop-in replacement for the vanilla mysql server
  3. Are there any plugins/methods to implement this in a Cpanel setup ( like the dns clustering option)
  4. If clustering is resource intensive, is replication okay?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

Will you be using standard mysql, or something different-yet-not, like mysqli or maria?

(edit) Oops, meant percona, not mysqli. Are you going to use a drop-in replacement like percona or maria, or standard mysql? (/edit)

• @Damian MySQLi isn't a server like MariaDB, it is just a driver for PHP.

• @kuro: Ah yes, was a bit early in the morning for me. Thanks for pointing that out :)

• @peppr said: Any one has tried / using mysql cluster server on a LEB. If yes ram and space requirements please

At my day job we have an ndb cluster of 2 nodes in KVM, allocated 32gb ram to each, remember, ndb does everything in ram and then writes to disk. It is not a LEB application, you'll need 5 VPS minimum to build a cluster, 1 LVS (load balancer) 2 mysql front ends and 2 ndb, the MySQL front ends do not require much ram, 1-2gb is fine, it's ndb that is a massive pig.

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • yea i meant "mysql cluster" with ndb. From v 5.1 i see that ndb can be configured to use disk space instead of ram, yet i agree with the ram issue. So lets forget realtime clustering.
    How abt replication a.k.a master and slave setup on a leb.?

• Master/slave replication works great on a decent VPS. If the mySQL server will be relatively busy, try and get a VPS with decent disk I/O performance. If you get a shoddy VPS, it will constantly be behind on replication.