Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] Costa Rica VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Request] Costa Rica VPS

Hi LET,

I have a web design client in Costa Rica who requires their site to be hosted in Costa Rica, it's an adventure tour company so nothing dodgy. In my search I've discovered that CR is a place where people host dodgy shit, I just want to make it clear this is not the case here.

Requirements:

It's mainly hosting a small, static HTML website with very low requirements. However, it does need to send emails for a contact form, so outgoing email must not be blocked. Expecting 20 emails a day.

Virtualization: VZ or KVM
RAM: 128MB (at least, at best around 512mb)
HDD/SSD: 10GB (can be as low as 5GB, but not ideal)
IPv4: Just the one
CPU: 1 core is fine, as long as it's not running off a 386 in some shack I'm happy.
Bandwidth: Honestly, a couple of gigs would be fine.. let's say 10GB/month
Port Speed: For local CR people, ideally the site will load fast, international doesn't matter as I already have that covered with other servers. 100mbit is good, 10mbit absolute rock bottom but it better not be some shitty ADSL connection in your garage - I'll probably rage pretty hard.

BUDGET:

I felt like it would be important to add that the budget for this is around $20USD/month, which luck may or may not play a part in, but I'm confident someone will let me know if my budget is out of check with reality :)

TL;DR:

Need a shitty low end VPS in CR, nothing illegal or shady, just hosting a website and sending contact form emails to the owner, wish me luck with my budget of $20USD/mo.

Comments

• Try Intel, or one of the pharmas out there?

• @Letzien said:
    Try Intel, or one of the pharmas out there?

Good thinking, I'll drop by the Intel office first thing in the morning and make some enquiries! Speaking of pharmas, I feel like a parma now (chicken parmigiana)

• I meant to track the network upstream- I doubt Intel is completely self-enclosed for lower end shit. I don't know about the rest.

Also, tomato on anything is proletariat.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2018

I would also suggest you, and/or your customer check that the local tel-com routes locally to the VPS provider you choose. It's kind of a fail if the local tel-com routes via Panama or Miami back to the VPS provider in Costa Rica.

EDIT @WSS I mean @Letzien beat me to it...

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I thought you were trolling me with the Intel thing haha

• You're welcome to turn up there and ask, but I'm pretty sure the security guards would be just as happy to shoot you for sounding like a drunk Yank as to pass your request onto someone who is stuck that week handling the not-locals-looking-for-work tier.

• @FrankZ said:
    I would also suggest you, and/or your customer check that the local tel-com routes locally to the VPS provider you choose. It's kind of a fail if the local tel-com routes via Panama or Miami back to the VPS provider in Costa Rica.

I have a very very limited understanding of that region's connectivity, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but is it common in CR for the traffic to route via Miami? If so, would Miami be potentially a better place for me to look? Any input would be really appreciated, thanks!

• @Letzien said:
    You're welcome to turn up there and ask, but I'm pretty sure the security guards would be just as happy to shoot you for sounding like a drunk Yank as to pass your request onto someone who is stuck that week handling the not-locals-looking-for-work tier.

LOL, I'm Australian and sound nothing like a yank so I should be right there ;) I doubt Intel even have an office here, and if they did it would be hilarious if someone actually walked in there asking for low end VPS in costa rica.

• Have you bothered to look at any of the chips produced in the last decade? They've got some place in Costa Rica. My guess is that it isn't in the country.

• Intel manufacturing in Costa Rica confirmed.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited December 2018

You know what, you're absolutely right, I have a pile of CPUs and they're mostly made in CR. Learn something new every day :p

EDIT: Now, the real question.. what am I going to do with 30 or so socket 775 processors... rubbish bin looks good.

• What the fuck is an Aussie doing in CR who doesn't even know Intel is in CR?

• I see where the confusion is.... I don't live in CR. I'm an Aussie who lives in Aussieland... :pensive:

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2018

@dahartigan I can not comment on Costa Rica specifically, but I have found it to be true in other Latin America countries and this was the reason for my suggestion.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @FrankZ said:
    @dahartigan I can not comment on Costa Rica specifically, but I have found it to be true in other Latin America countries and this was the reason for my suggestion.

Thanks for that, I appreciate your advice. I'll check it out further, if it works out better to be in Miami I'd probably go that route.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Maybe RackNation? -> https://www.racknation.cr/

• @Shazan said:
    Maybe RackNation? -> https://www.racknation.cr/

That's who I'm with right now

• @dahartigan said:
    Hi LET,

I have a web design client in Costa Rica who requires their site to be hosted in Costa Rica, it's an adventure tour company so nothing dodgy. In my search I've discovered that CR is a place where people host dodgy shit, I just want to make it clear this is not the case here.

Requirements:

It's mainly hosting a small, static HTML website with very low requirements. However, it does need to send emails for a contact form, so outgoing email must not be blocked. Expecting 20 emails a day.

Virtualization: VZ or KVM
    RAM: 128MB (at least, at best around 512mb)
    HDD/SSD: 10GB (can be as low as 5GB, but not ideal)
    IPv4: Just the one
    CPU: 1 core is fine, as long as it's not running off a 386 in some shack I'm happy.
    Bandwidth: Honestly, a couple of gigs would be fine.. let's say 10GB/month
    Port Speed: For local CR people, ideally the site will load fast, international doesn't matter as I already have that covered with other servers. 100mbit is good, 10mbit absolute rock bottom but it better not be some shitty ADSL connection in your garage - I'll probably rage pretty hard.

BUDGET:

I felt like it would be important to add that the budget for this is around $20USD/month, which luck may or may not play a part in, but I'm confident someone will let me know if my budget is out of check with reality :)

TL;DR:

Need a shitty low end VPS in CR, nothing illegal or shady, just hosting a website and sending contact form emails to the owner, wish me luck with my budget of $20USD/mo.

See if you can host in Miami. Prices are much cheaper there compared to CR. Speeds shouldn't drop too much.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • For html pages and a few images few ms more won't hurt... Probably most places in north america would work fine. Keep in mind that if the site is dynamic you don't want a too shitty VPS (trying to save 50/60ms on the network to wait 400ms or more for php to do his crap doesn't make sense). Decent CPU + decent network and you're good to go, even if it's not in the country.

If you need it to be hosted under CR jurisdiction that's totally different. But if it's not the case, Miami is probably more than fine (check the routes, some providers in Miami won't won't appear closer to CR than OVH CA... which might be enough for your needs as I understand it)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Thanks everyone for your input! I've discovered that indeed Miami is the next best location and much much cheaper!

• As mentioned some providers have a longer route, I went with the QN dc as it seems to be the closest.