Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many 1GB OVZ per 32GB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

srvrprosrvrpro Member
edited October 2013 in General

Lets be frank, how many 1 GB openVZ VPS would you be 'willing to sell' off a 32GB xeon e3 server. I would go for 40 since its usually resold. Assuming the hard disk is equally divided in all.

Comments

• that depend what processor you use, and what hdd do you use. the bottleneck usually in hdd or processor not ram

• @tuguhost said:
    that depend what processor you use, and what hdd do you use. the bottleneck usually in hdd or processor not ram

Just updated the question :)

• tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited October 2013

@srvrpro said:
    Just updated the question :)

hdd? use raid 1,0,10? SSD,SAS,SATA?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

It depends. We have undersold (biz plans), approximately balanced (the GB sold are close to the physical GB of ram, it varies, some people insist for a VPS and if the server is doing fine with less than 30 % cpu load and less than 40% disk used, we create a new slot as well for some upgrades), and have clearly OVerZold ones, there the percentage goes over 150% at any time, closing to 200% on servers with less memory where the CPU has no issues.
    Since we allow heavy CPU game servers and transcoders, etc, we cannot oversell much since the CPU will fail way before RAM is exhausted it is the case on the OVerZold plans, some have 20%+ free ram (which is good fo caching, dont say is bad) but the CPU hardly has 4-5 threads left (out of 24) at peak times leaving little room for abusers. People which only allow usage of one of 4 cores for example and limit gameservers and whatnot can oversell much more, I think 400-500% is not uncommon.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

That depends entirely on the provider. There are some providers who sell 150GB-200GB of RAM or more. on a 32GB node

• it all depends on your CPU and your hard drives you can have best CPU in the world with 32GB ram but with standard disks with no raid cache you IO be really high and cause a bottleneck.

• for unethical providers such as U**** , S******** They must go over 200% at least to make profit. why? because the performance is shlt like 200% or more

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@srvrpro said:
    Lets be frank, how many 1 GB openVZ VPS would you be 'willing to sell' off a 32GB xeon e3 server. I would go for 40 since its usually resold. Assuming the hard disk is equally divided in all.

I would suggest between 120 and 200 is probably closer to normal and perfectly doable.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • As many as the IP addresses you have :)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@qhoster said:
    As many as the IP addresses you have :)

Squeeze them all in, huh? :P

• I would sell about 25, 25GB sold, then that leaves 2GB For the OS and 5GB for burst/upgrades etc

• As someone else mentioned, you will probably run into I/O bottlenecks before anything else. It depends a lot what you are doing and how your I/O is set up

If you have SSD's or RAID10 you could easily get 40 or more. You will most likely still have plenty of actual memory left after that and will not be swapping. That is because even though you allocated 1GB it is absolutely certain most of not all will not be using all of it which leaves it available for use.

If you are not doing anything special with I/O beyond software RAID1 I would say 40 would probably be pushing it. I would suggest you consider only about 20-30 users and downgrade to 16GB if it saves you some money.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

Your question is too vague. Who is going to be using the OVZ (is it a private thing to separate off your own software, or are you selling it to clients directly as IaaS)? What software is going to be running in each container? What's the expected network usage / I/O usage / CPU usage per container for the software that you want to separate into VM's? Or if you are selling it, what kinds of requirements do your customers have?

The best way would be to test various setups with your software and see how it performs and how it loads the host node.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I would suggest between 120 and 200 is probably closer to normal and perfectly doable.

Wow.. who in there right mind would cram that many VPS's into 1 node? Oh hold up..

It can be done of course, but that's to the extreme and you would indeed find your CPU/Disk's being the bottleneck unless you went with a high end storage.

I wouldn't even put 200 VPS's on a 64GB system :|

@Reece to answer your question "who in there right mind would cram that many VPS's into 1 node?" A lot more than would admit to it.

I have about 250 on a node with an X3210, 4GB Ram and 1 disk, and they are in use so with 32GB and an E3 I would say 120 - 200 is being modest, I strongly suspect that with an SSD pretending to be ram for swap maybe 5 - 600 would be the point at which 'most' customers would complain.

just my 2c

Thanked by 1earl

# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
     Timing cached reads:   3586 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1793.04 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:  242 MB in  3.01 seconds =  80.50 MB/sec

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 15.5694 s, 69.0 MB/s

So imagine if I had an SSD cached raid array and an E3 behind it..

• perennate said: Your question is too vague.
    perennate said: What software is going to be running in each container? What's the expected network usage / I/O usage / CPU usage per container for the software that you want to separate into VM's?

Now do you do a survey before handing selling VPS (if you do? ) I just asked for your view, how many VPS can you imagine selling off a 32GB server.

@srvrpro said:
    how many VPS can you imagine selling off a 32GB server.

Imagine?

I would love to see someone hit 1000 :)

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

Please don't post our dirty little secrets of OpenVZ ;). Let the "OpenVZ sucks because I read on some blog site from some guy who hosts Xen servers that..." crowd continue to believe their hosting myths.

• > # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
    > 
    > /dev/sda:
    >  Timing cached reads:   3586 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1793.04 MB/sec
    >  Timing buffered disk reads:  242 MB in  3.01 seconds =  80.50 MB/sec
    > 
    > # dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    > 16384+0 records in
    > 16384+0 records out
    > 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 15.5694 s, 69.0 MB/s
    > 
    > 

So imagine if I had an SSD cached raid array and an E3 behind it..

Haha but what's the size of those VM's? There not 1GB! Probably 128MB or less.

edited October 2013

@Reece you are correct however higher ram scales in the hosts favour as generally less is used with my VM's it is hard not to use all the Ram. with 1GB the chances are at least 60% of your customers are using less than 512MB on avg.

if you have 32GB (8x more than my node) and raid 10 with probably 8 x the IOPS that I do then why not 8x the VM's ... oh wait 8 x 128 is 1024.... so I stand by my point 200 is fine with OpenVZ on a 32GB node :)

It is no big secret really, but you always see the same coments when this same question gets asked, CPU bottle neck (rare and can be dealt with), Disk I/O (again if managed and set up correctly it is not going to be an issue especially on OpenVZ without LVM and virtual block deviced like with Xen and KVM), and finally Ram... OpenVZ + Ram = you have to be doing something very wrong to run out :)

Sorry @sman I think the secret is out. I hate to use this example and perhaps it is not in good taste but CVPS said they had about 50 nodes at one point and when the DB was leaked people said 10k+ active customers and this was pre E5 iirc so do the math, 1000/50 I am not saying this is what they do as I could not possibly know, I am simply saying it is viable.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

@AnthonySmith said:

Sorry sman I think the secret is out. I hate to use this example and perhaps it is not in good taste but CVPS said they had about 50 nodes at one point and when the DB was leaked people said 10k+ active customers and this was pre E5 iirc so do the math, 1000/50 I am not saying this is what they do as I could not possibly know, I am simply saying it is viable.

I would prefer people believe the myths. In lowend land it's not much of a secret because OpenVZ is the defacto standard. Not so much in other things.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

If you are not doing anything special with I/O beyond software RAID1 I would say 40 would probably be pushing it. I would suggest you consider only about 20-30 users and downgrade to 16GB if it saves you some money.

If someone's margins are so low that the small difference in price between a server with 32GB and one with 16GB is the difference between them turning a profit or a loss I would suggest that they rewrite their business plan.

Wow.. who in there right mind would cram that many VPS's into 1 node? Oh hold up..

from an end user's perspective, who in their right mind would sign up for a plan knowing that the 32GB node is that oversold and they'll be treated to mediocre performance, frequent disk I/O slowdowns and other performance problems? None of the >1GB openvz VPS's I currently have are hosted on 32GB E3's because while 150GB-200GB on a 32GB box might be doable for the host, more times than not it results in a crappy experience for the end user.

@DomainBop said:
    knowing that the 32GB node is that oversold.

And that right there is the key :)

• @DomainBop said:

If someone's margins are so low that the small difference in price between a server with 32GB and one with 16GB is the difference between them turning a profit or a loss I would suggest that they rewrite their business plan.

Sometimes the difference is significant. That is changing but memory traditionally was one of the upsell things a lot of Dedi providers would try whack people on.

Of course if you have your own servers it's not so much of a factor. Also 32GB is now getting more standard. It depends on the guys situation which we don't have all the details on.