Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about BuyVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions about BuyVM

2»

Comments

• For #3, I think they are good as long as you are not a troublemaker and you follow rules

• Cool, thank you for all of this information everyone! This sounds like a great company. As soon as their KVM/Slice line has snapshot capability (hopefully "safe live" snapshots for both the slice and the block storage), I'll try them out. I think some places do live snapshots safely by somehow remembering current writes in cache during the snapshot and then commiting them afterwards, sort of like how ms sql server does safe backups while running.

It's important to be able to quickly go backwards if a software upgrade (on my part) goes bad or whatever.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@juf said:
    Cool, thank you for all of this information everyone! This sounds like a great company. As soon as their KVM/Slice line has snapshot capability (hopefully "safe live" snapshots for both the slice and the block storage), I'll try them out. I think some places do live snapshots safely by somehow remembering current writes in cache during the snapshot and then commiting them afterwards, sort of like how ms sql server does safe backups while running.

It's important to be able to quickly go backwards if a software upgrade (on my part) goes bad or whatever.

Slabs won't get them, it'll just spin storage usgae out of control.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Slabs won't get them, it'll just spin storage usgae out of control.

Francisco

Ok, that's fine, and that makes sense.

• aubsaubs Member

Sorry for commenting on an old-ish thread, but the information is still valid.

I've been a customer of BuyVM in Las Vegas since 2012. Staff are always friendly and responsive. I can't ever say I've had any unexpected downtime - I run a ping checker triangularly between my BuyVM and two other VPSs. The other two are the ones I always have issues with, never with my BuyVM one.

1 & 2 - Francisco already replied. But on my OpenVZ, I used to have auto daily backups and also snapshot capability. In Sept 2018 when I queried, I was advised that they have been disabled for the time being as they were unreliable (the backups, not the VPS). I never noticed any issues with them and had used the snapshot a couple of times.

If you're interested in support response times, here's some examples:
    (I believe all times are Pacific Standard Time [UTC-8])

In 2012, I asked how to enable IPv6 at 02:21 and at 05:48 they replied to say they'd enabled it for me.

On Christmas Eve of 2017, I noticed transfer speeds on my LV VPS weren't quite as good compared with some other VPSs I have elsewhere in the world. I logged a ticket at 10:51. Wasn't a priority for me, I still had full service and appreciated the time of year. I received a response at 11:25. I replied at 12:00 and received a response at 21:27 that they'd done some work (which had actually improved it).

In September 2018, I noticed daily backups weren't running on my OpenVZ. I logged a ticket at 14:19 and received a response at 17:39.

Today (March 2019), I logged a low-priority ticket at 10:54 and they replied at 11:48.

None of the issues I raised were high priority and they were outside of their 'opening' hours, but I couldn't fault their response times and professional attitude.

Thanked by 2Francisco uptime