Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Empty promises and "useless" support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Empty promises and "useless" support

nerouxneroux Member
edited October 2013 in General

I just joined the provider a few days ago, so I might be possibly exaggerating, but despite advertising the usual 99.9% uptime and the 24/7 support I already had 40 minutes downtime (three more minutes in the next days and we exceed the 0.1) and opened a ticket 3.5 hours ago without any (meaningful) response.

In the budget sector I naturally dont expect premium support, but companies could at least live up to the promises and provide some competent basic support.

Comments

• 3.5 hours isn't that bad, if it's a day or so then it's worth a complaint.

• Thanks for the rant!

• Even for some other providers I could get two days answer, and some even don't answering me.

I've cancelled most of them. But once again, sometimes it's because of time difference. I'm already Monday, and the provider still Saturday/Sunday.

• So what was your support ticket about? Tell us more of the story.

• @black said:
    3.5 hours isn't that bad, if it's a day or so then it's worth a complaint.

Not bad? What do I have 24/7 support for if a basic downtime ticket is not handled timely?

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

A 3.5 hour response time to an emergency request or high priority ticket would be a big problem. A 3.5 hour response time to a low-normal priority ticket is still a fairly long wait, but not outrageous.

• tuguhosttuguhost Member
    edited October 2013

first, how much you pay for your vps?

and you said "opened a ticket 3.5 hours ago without any (meaningful) response.), so your provider respond your ticket in 3,5 hour?right?

• @tuguhost said:
    and you said "opened a ticket 3.5 hours ago without any (meaningful) response.), so your provider respond your ticket in 3,5 hour?right?

If you consider a let-me-know-your-IP-address-response (even though its clearly visible from my account) a response ;).

• @neroux said:
    If you consider a let-me-know-your-IP-address-response (even though its clearly visible from my account) a response ;).

ah i am agree with you, it sound stupid if provider dont know your ip address.

• Sometimes the support guy is not logged in the billing/support system and just reads the ticket via email. In this case he might not know your IP address. It wouldn't hurt to provide all relevant information.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@neroux Stop wasting everyone's time on nothing, at the very least give the name of the provider you are complaining about.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:
    neroux Stop wasting everyone's time on nothing, at the very least give the name of the provider you are complaining about.

Yep, also a bit of context would be nice.

I mean if you opened a ticket on high priority saying you installed OpenVPN and cant connect then perhaps he just read it and though... hmm, later. :) if it is a my VPS is down, I have checked everything and attempted to connect via serial console/VNC/whatever is provided for out of band access then yeah 3.5 hours it not great to be asked for your IP.

• Maybe, just maybe, the provider asking if neroux were blacklisted so he can't access the vps, that's why the provider asking for the IP.

• @rm_ said:
    neroux Stop wasting everyone's time on nothing, at the very least give the name of the provider you are complaining about.

No reason to become offensive .... nobody asked you to read the thread. If you believe your precious time is wasted, there is a simple solution, do not participate here ....

@AnthonySmith said:
    I mean if you opened a ticket on high priority saying you installed OpenVPN and cant connect then perhaps he just read it and though... hmm, later. :) if it is a my VPS is down, I have checked everything and attempted to connect via serial console/VNC/whatever is provided for out of band access then yeah 3.5 hours it not great to be asked for your IP.

Exactly, the ticket was enquirying about the downtime. For this 3.5+ hours is a bit too much, considering 24/7 support is advertised.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ticket at 1:30am (for some of us) for a question about an outage that isn't in progress isn't an emergency. Let people sleep if it isn't an emergency bro. Post when it is one and they aren't replying.

edited October 2013

No reason to become offensive

I am just so sick of people protecting their precious provider's anonymity while at the same time being treated as shit by the said provider. You're doing a disservice to everyone else on the forum by not publishing your experience with a provider's name attached. A bad review/feedback is just as useful, or even more useful, than good ones.

• @jarland said:
    Ticket at 1:30am (for some of us) for a question about an outage that isn't in progress isn't an emergency. Let people sleep if it isn't an emergency bro. Post when it is one and they aren't replying.

Again, with 24/7 time is irrelevant. Fact is there were 40 minutes of downtime (reaching the maximum downtime in one go) and no notice from the provider. I think it would be only fair to expect at least a timely response if the customer enquiries about it.

@rm_ said:
    I am just so sick of people protecting their precious provider's anonymity while at the same time being treated as shit by the said provider. You're doing a disservice to everyone else on the forum by not publishing your post with a provider's name attached. And a bad review is just as useful, or even more useful, than a good one.

As I said, I joined this provider only recently, so I do not desire to do any naming and shaming yet. Even though such a downtime within the first days does not leave the best impression for a start, and especially with the level of support afterwards, it is something that can happen. Occasionally.

I just had a lengthy experience with a provider with the identical scenario (downtime, incompetent support, eventually blaming some unknown "abusers") and am particularly wary now.

• neroux said: No reason to become offensive .... nobody asked you to read the thread. If you believe your precious time is wasted, there is a simple solution, do not participate here ....

I don't think you understand the words "community" and "trying to help". You've posted a thread with very little information in it. You are expecting responses from us, otherwise you could have (or should have) posted this on your blog or something.

When asking for help, as always, provide as much information as possible. There've been so many threads like these where there's too little information, so saying this is a waste of time without more information is kind of to the point.

• @mpkossen said:

How would you help?

• we'll some clients send emails from ones not registered and we may or may not get a name out of it. I think everyone has this issue every once in awhile.

• @neroux said:
    How would you help?

How do you think we could help? I mean, you do have a reason for posting it here and if it's not ask for help, I don't know why it is...

edited October 2013

How would you help?

If you do not seek for help with this situation, then why do you post in the first place?

Actually re-reading your original post,

I just joined the provider a few days ago, so I might be possibly exaggerating, but despite advertising the usual 99.9% uptime and the 24/7 support I already had 40 minutes downtime (three more minutes in the next days and we exceed the 0.1) and opened a ticket 3.5 hours ago without any (meaningful) response.

In the budget sector I naturally dont expect premium support, but companies could at least live up to the promises and provide some competent basic support.

All I see is a generic slur directed at unspecified "companies", basically at every provider here on LEB/LET. You complain how those "companies" are not up to your standards, without naming anyone specifically. That's basically a bucket of dirt onto everyone's heads for no good reason whatsoever. If you are having a problem with a particular provider, post which one. As it stands, your post is just whine about how "budget sector" providers are all crap, after having tried just one and they didn't reply to a ticket for 3 hours.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • From where I sit, this thread is pointless. You did not ask any meaningful question that I can see, so what's the point? You did not name the provider, so obviously not interested in what others may have to say about their experience with same. It's not about shaming anyone, but about exchanging experiences and learning from each other.

• @rm_ said:
    All I see is a generic slur directed at unspecified "companies", basically at every provider here on LEB/LET. You complain how those "companies" are not up to your standards, without naming anyone specifically. That's basically a bucket of dirt onto everyone's heads for no good reason whatsoever. If you are having a problem with a particular provider, post which one. As it stands, your post is just whine about how "budget sector" providers are all crap, after having tried just one and they didn't reply to a ticket for 3 hours.

I seriously dont see where you'd take that from.

Nowhere whatsoever did I generalise anything (which you seem to do here though) but only wrote a generic complaint about the experience with one specific provider in this case, without mentioning the name for known reasons.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

Yep, please be sure it is down too, if they use solusvm you can get the node IP from the serial console, give that a ping or 2, I have lost track of the amount of people who have done a base install of CSF got themselves blacklisted from their own VPS and screamed at me for having a node down. or because the website they host on it is down they assume it is the whole node.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Yep, please be sure it is down too, if they use solusvm you can get the node IP from the serial console, give that a ping or 2, I have lost track of the amount of people who have done a base install of CSF got themselves blacklisted from their own VPS and screamed at me for having a node down. or because the website they host on it is down they assume it is the whole node.

Anthony, dont get me wrong, but I dont see how this is related to the thread.

It might be possible that some customers occasionally locked themselves out and then contact support but this was clearly not the case.

Also... oh wow.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10459/urpad-support-odyssey/p1
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10490/what-is-wrong-here/p1
    You don't ever learn do you? Or maybe your entire purpose of being here is to stir up drama, and everything is going according to the plan?

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited October 2013

@rm_ said:
    Also... oh wow.

These threads are completely unrelated to this topic and there I actually referred to the provider. The exact thing you complained about, but some people can never be pleased, can they? ;)

So if you could say what you mean, and not only some insinuations it would help a lot.

• @neroux Maybe you could elaborate on what 24/7 support means to you? This seems to be the key to your issue.

• @Nekki said:
    neroux Maybe you could elaborate on what 24/7 support means to you? This seems to be the key to your issue.

Sure, 24/7 certainly does not mean instant reaction but, considering there is someone supposed to be at the help-desk around the clock, one should expect a ticket to be handled in a timely fashion (depending on the severity of course). For something which should have been communicated pro-actively in the first place 3.5 hours is quite long.

As I said previously, given that I just had a similar experience with URPad (as rm_ pointed out above, even though unrelated) I might be particularly wary right now.